Soldering Iron's

What skills do you need to start working on the 9x? Any recommended hardware?
LarryC

Soldering Iron's

Post by LarryC »

Long time lurker, first post. Go easy on me please.

I currently own an older Weller soldering station, I bought it from a Snap-On dealer (branded as a Blue-Point) many years ago and it has really been good to me but it doesn't have the ability to change temps. Consequently I sometimes burn traces, not very often but once is more then enough for me. I've been looking at various irons and have my eye on a YIHUA 936 iron. Anyone here with any experience on these? One thing with my Weller iron that I like is the fact that the shielding on the cable to the pencil is of silicone. Very flexible and burn resistant. Can't tell from the pics but I'm wondering if the rubber shield on the 936 is PVC, rubber, or hopefully silicone. Anyone know? Other likes or dislikes for this iron would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

kaos

Re: Soldering Iron's

Post by kaos »

I got mine from HK: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=19240
but after shipping it may come out the same price.

with my limited to non existent soldering experience. this unit is 100 times better than my Weller 40 watt soldering GUN. It does have adjustable temperature control and works. Don't expect it is at the same quality as Hakko. The black thing is rubbery, don't know it is silicone - should be. so far it is not burning up with my largest soldering tip (big fat chisel tip 5 mm diameter) at 400 degree. The part hat screw to the handle is a little weak but usable.
I also bought a set of tips from ebay for 8.xx , they satisfied what I am doing - solder some basic PCB works and wires, connectors. The large tip makes my soldering of XT60 connector and lipo lead tab much, much easier. ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130551105910?ss ... 1438.l2649
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I bought several of these from HK for $16 last year. It has a silicone cable as I remember. I retired mine after upgrading to s SMD soldering station.
They're all knockoffs of the Hakko products so their tips will fit as well as others offered on eBay.
My tip didn't last too long but a replacement Hakko did. It's been said that you should cost the tip with solder before turning it off. It's keeps the air from oxidizing the tip when cold.
I used my HK for a year and with various tips and it held up just good for fine er9x conversions as well as deans plug soldering with a larger tip.

I see HK USA has them in stock
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Welcome Larry. I got a Hakko last year and am impressed as you can be with a soldering iron. Love how fast it heats up. After reading this though wondering if I coulda saved some dough with a knockoff. :(
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Thanks everyone, I have ordered one, though I have my doubts but for the price I'm not concerned. I'm kind of picky with my tools. :)

SM, I ordered mine from HK USA warehouse, so I shouldn't have to wait too long to see it I hope.

rperkins, thanks for the welcome. Like you I have my doubts but for as much as I use an iron these days I can be more patient than days of old.

I'll let every one know how I feel about it, my next buy will probably be a temp gauge to check the dial settings against what the tip temp actually is. Any suggestions or am I'm wasting my money/time?

Again, thanks all!

Return to “Soldering, Hardware, Skills”