3Pos Sw Flaperon Mix for Floater Jet

If you have a model config you would like to share. Post it here!
FlyByTheGrace

3Pos Sw Flaperon Mix for Floater Jet

Post by FlyByTheGrace »

Greetings to all,
I have been a member for some time now. For my APM 2.5, I have my mixes for my flight modes well at hand. If I could only sort out some issues with Mission Planner I would be in the clear. :|
As a student pilot of fixed wing turn my attention to my other airframes. I have a Floater Jet Trainer with the mid motor pusher arrangement. I need a mix for operating the ailerons as flaps. As most will know the mid motor mounting causes an unwanted nose dive after hand launching. I have searched through the pages but may have missed the correct mix to give me two flaperon positions using ID0,1,2. One for launch and one to help with flaring during landing.

I understand that we are to use two separate channels for each of the servos. I am outputting in the AETR format. I also know how to cut and past the mix to my eeprom into an unused "slot". I used to have a mix for the original 9x before I made change to ER (Smartieparts SPB / TelemetrEZ module / FrSky DJT /D8RII Plus and of course the backlight)
Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction. It is difficult for the first timer working alone to manage a hand launch and get back on the sticks. I would like to have more times at bat before I have to make repairs to the fuselage :?

Best regards,
Christopher / FBTG

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: 3Pos Sw Flaperon Mix for Floater Jet

Post by MikeB »

From the ER you mention I assume you ae running er9x.
On er9x, one of the mix sources is 3POS. This is the ID0,1,2 switch. By default ID0 is -100%, ID1 is 0% and ID2 is +100%.
If you reduce the WEIGHT to, say, 10%, you will get -10%, 0% and +10%. A WEIGHT of -10% would give +10%, 0% and -10%.
Now if you put in a value for OFFSET, AND select "late Offset to ON", you can move these. An offset of 10% would give you 0%, 10% and 20%.
If you enter a value for DIFF (differential) you can then alter the positioning of one side.

Easiest way to set this is to set the source to 3POS, set the weight to, say 25%, to start with, and put the switch to ID1. Now, with late offset on, set the OFFSET value to get the "flapperon" where you want it.
Now ID1 and ID2 move from this position by the 25% weight you set. Decide which direction of movement from the ID1 position is the largest you want. Switch to ID0 or ID2 as required, and set the WEIGHT to position the "flapperon" where you want it.
Now switch to the other end (ID2/ID0) and adjust the DIFF value to position the "flpperon" where you want it.
Done.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I'm curious as to why you would want to use flaperon action to correct a nose down tendency at launch. Flaps are quite an uncertain way to achieve pitch control (it's not even sure whether down flap will cause pitch-up or pitch-down).

The usual way to assist in hand launching is to provide a launch setting that adds some up elevator. This could be a flight mode or simply a switch that mixes elevator to elevator. It should give just enough up to ensure a gentle climb. The switch should be one that's easily reached as soon as both hands are on the transmitter.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

My easystar has tendency to nose dive with throttle. So I just added a bit of thr input to the elevator channel. It will apply a percentage of up elevator depending on throttle position..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Good point. I should do that on mine. But it's an old original one with brushed 400 motor and doesn't have a lot of power to manage! I'm planning to convert to brushless and then mixing in some elevator might be necessary.

The point is that the first thing to do is to set up any mix that's needed for normal flight, then see what it needs for launching. The answer may be nothing more.

Nowhere in this can I see a role for flap action.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mine is an old one too, with the wings straightened with the help of an hair dryer and big ailerons cut on them. Aluminum tube as spar and brushless conversion. Also made a bigger rudder out of an old twinstar aileron :) recycling :D
Another mix I use is flaperon. It also need a lot of differential to avoid adverse yaw. But it flies really well..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “Template Library”