Strange message when powering up

Programming your 9x using the stock firmware that comes with the radio. (Note. This is for the th9x, not the X9R)
lucasdimi

Strange message when powering up

Post by lucasdimi »

Hello everybody, I'm new in the turnigy 9x and sometimes the radio on the first porwer up after leaving it for some time (an hour or so), I'm getting this message that the radio shows V14 and COOL with a bunch of Chinese characters and 0000. This goes away after I power off and power on back again but seems weird and I'm al ittle scared that someday it won't turn on again.

Did some research and this will be "kindda" the steps to reproduce it, but I just turn on the radio.
Here is my description of the procedure to calibrate your sticks (use their pictures):

First of all, ONLY do this if you are having problems with stick movements as I described in my posts above. If you screw up your tx, it's not my fault!!
Push the right lower trim tab to the left (aileron on a mode 2 TX), and the left side trim tab up (Throttle trim on a mode 2 tx), and while holding them, turn the Tx on. You will get a screen that shows the version number of the firmware, with four zeroes (0000) at the top of the screen. Center both sticks in their range in all axis, and press the menu button until it beeps and release. The screen number will change to 0001 Move the right stick to the upper right corner, and press menu, and you should get a beep, and the number on the screen will change to 0002. Put the right stick in the lower left corner, and press menu, and get a beep, and the number will change to 0003. Release the right stick, and put the left stick in the upper right corner, and press menu, get the beep, and the number will change to 0004. Put the left stick in the lower left corner, and press menu again, get the beep and the number will change to 0005. Center both sticks, and press menu, get the beep. You are done calibrating the sticks.
So aparently the radio turns up into a calibrate mode?
How can I solve this?
Thanks

Kilrah

Re: Strange message when powering up

Post by Kilrah »

You posted in the 9XR section, but mention a 9X, and that calibration procedure seems to be for the 9X with original firmware.
So can you confirm what radio you have?
lucasdimi

Post by lucasdimi »

Right, sorry about that, it's the turnigy 9x with original firmware.
I should move this into that thread or ask a moderator to do so.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I would think the only possibility is that the trim switches have a problem and the radio sees them as descriped on power on...
Do the trims work fine when the radio is on?
lucasdimi

Post by lucasdimi »

Kilrah wrote:I would think the only possibility is that the trim switches have a problem and the radio sees them as descriped on power on...
Do the trims work fine when the radio is on?
Yes they work propperly. Just used the radio yesterday and trimmed my plane. I just clicked all the trims with the radio off to see if it has something to do with it. But no fix.

lucasdimi

Post by lucasdimi »

Should I try to calibrate the radio to see if the message still shows up every now and then?
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

I am afraid that the advice you can get on this board about 9x radios with original firmware is very limited. The reason is that the board is focused around the open source firmwares that replace the original firmware. Most of us have simply never used the FlySky firmware except to check that radios seem to work before we flash new firmware to them.
RCGroups might be a better place to find users who have experience of the original FlySky 9x firmware.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Or take the plunge and flash one of the open source firmwares!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
lucasdimi

Post by lucasdimi »

I would flash the radio in no time but I can't get the no-soldering board in my country (Argentina).
I'm algo afraid that the error will also persist after flashing cause seems like a sequence of steps to make it boot like that. Could this happen with the new open firmware?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The open source firmware(s) have diagnostic screens that can help find any hardware problems.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

I have heard that HK has had a bad batch of V2 Firmware Radios with faults.. need to reflash the Firmware was the solution.
I can't find the thread at the moment.. but sounds very familiar.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/foru ... ?TID=13736

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 162&page=7
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
lucasdimi

Post by lucasdimi »

LTMNO wrote:I have heard that HK has had a bad batch of V2 Firmware Radios with faults.. need to reflash the Firmware was the solution.
I can't find the thread at the moment.. but sounds very familiar.
That sounds very promising, I really hope it's a firmware issue than hardware one. Really difficult to get anything for rc models back in my country :cry:

Thanks
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

my pleasure, i just remember reading this somewhere... but honestly to Mike, Kilrah and others point... If I were you, I would update the firmware with OpenTx or ER9x, order yourself a SmartieParts Board and you will have to do nothing but screw on a board and you will have the ability to update your firmware. NO soldering, no risk.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331

all the best!
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

But he already said he can't get the SP board in his country.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Strange message when powering up

Post by dvogonen »

That narrows down the alternatives.

If the solution is to load new firmware you need to get hold of a cheap USBASP adapter and solder a contact to the main board of the radio. The solder job is very easy, but if you do not want to do it yourself you might know someone who knows how to solder.
Then you can load the software to the radio.
lucasdimi

Post by lucasdimi »

dvogonen wrote:That narrows down the alternatives.

If the solution is to load new firmware you need to get hold of a cheap USBASP adapter and solder a contact to the main board of the radio. The solder job is very easy, but if you do not want to do it yourself you might know someone who knows how to solder.
Then you can load the software to the radio.
Right, You'll see me as picky, but I really don't want to make a hole on the case of the radio. :roll:
I was looking for the best mod with the soldering and the USBASP and seems pretty easy soldering.
After flashing the radio, is it really necessary to have access to the connector, asi in can configure the radio from the PC? or is it just for quicker flashing?

Thanks
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

It is a good idea to have a contact available for easier flashing and to connect to the PC, but it is not necessary. Some people left the contact inside the radio and opened it up each time they wanted to flash new firmware.

Another option is to have a small contact in the battery compartment. There are already holes from this into the radio.
KAL

Post by KAL »

Just like this:
USBASP glued to bottom of battery compartment (inside radio)
USBASP glued to bottom of battery compartment (inside radio)
Ribbon cable from Atmel to USBASP
Ribbon cable from Atmel to USBASP
USB breakout board in battery compartment
USB breakout board in battery compartment
And for connecting ribbon cable to mainboard see here
But please leave pins 4 and 6 of the USBASP alone 'cause on many USBASPs they aren't connected to ground but to RXD and TXD.

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

the contact (connector) is also used to allow to save the models to the computer, or after programming new models on the computer, copy them to the radio.. So, it is a good idea to have a connection for the programmer..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
lucasdimi

Post by lucasdimi »

I gotta say, it's really weird. After using it for a bit. the voltage got lower than 10v and now the message is not happening anymore...
What is the lower voltage that I can use the radio, (so I know when to charge it)

Return to “stock firmware (fly sky th9x)”