Gimbal endpoints

Programming your 9x using the stock firmware that comes with the radio. (Note. This is for the th9x, not the X9R)
MTBguide

Gimbal endpoints

Post by MTBguide »

Hi all,

I am quite new to the hobby. I fly multicopters and have a standard 9x v2. I have the fmode and gear switchs set up for the flight modes and fail safe for NAZA on channels 5 and 6 (mix). I am using the hov thr for IOC and hov pit for gimbal control on 7 and 8. The TX is set up as heli.
My questions are:
1) My gimbal operates between 0 and -90 degrees, is there a way to change the endpoints on the hov pit dial so I don't have half of the pot dead. I have changed them to 120 and get a little more travel but there is still a dead section on the dial. I guess I need to change the dial to 100% positive or negative somehow?
2) I think I would be better to swap one of the dials to a second three position switch, I guess it has been done and discussed on here but I couldn't find it. I need to know roughly what size switch I need and either if I need variable resistors or if I can use normal ones and what ohms I need?
3) I know I can't use all 9 channels but is it possible to have a mix of channel 5 and 9 so I can get back a lost channel (5) when using it with Naza?

Thanks for any help

rperkins

Re: Gimbal endpoints

Post by rperkins »

Hi

Welcome to the forum.
You posted in the Stock firmware section of the forum.
Are you still using the stock firmware ?
If you upgraded to opentx or er9x firmware you would get a lot more help and your problem would probably easily be resolved in software
MTBguide

Post by MTBguide »

Hi,
Yes I am using the stock firmware, would I be able to assign the 3 position switch without doing a mix with the upgraded firmware? I am changing a pot to a three position switch and another pot to a momentary three position switch as well to control the gimbal.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Sorry but I dont know the answer to your question. Most everyone here use the upgraded, open source firmware.
even then I have never done what you are asking about.

I suggest asking how to solve your problem in the opentx section of this forum. Then if they have a suitable option, consider upgrading your firmware. It can be done quite inexpensively if you can solder. Costs a little more for drop in solution.

good luck
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Gimbal endpoints

Post by dvogonen »

MTBguide wrote:Hi,
Yes I am using the stock firmware, would I be able to assign the 3 position switch without doing a mix with the upgraded firmware? I am changing a pot to a three position switch and another pot to a momentary three position switch as well to control the gimbal.
It is possible to replace a pot with a multi position switch and a few resistors. The result will logically become a pot with three or more fixed values. I guess you could use this directly in the default software since flipping the switch is the exact same thing as turning a pot between three positions very fast.
But if you are willing to start soldering inside your radio to replace the pots, I would strongly recommend adding a programmer port at the same time. The result will be a much improved radio.

MTBguide

Post by MTBguide »

OK thanks, I will have a look in here for the info on the programmer port.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Bem vindo a bordo deste forum ;)

welcome aboard this forum.

The custom firmwares availabe are so much better than the stock one.. much more powerful.
basically you can do whatever you want with it. also if you're quite good with the soldering iron there are lots of cool features you can add.
Example:

on screen telemetry using the frsky RF system. I don't recommend the stock RF module anyway..
Haptic feedback. The radio vibrates like the mobile phones do when an alarm is triggered.
Voice support, with an extra voice module that you can build yourself or buy.
Rotary encoder.
and if you feel lucky, you can even replace the chip with a better one

I have done all that (many of us here did :) ) except for the haptic..

Sorry I had to sell my fish here.. (He is portuguese, he knows what I mean :mrgreen: )

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MTBguide

Post by MTBguide »

Ola João, tudo bem?

OK, thanks for the advice. I have emailed smartie parts to see if they deliver to Portugal but I haven't had a response yet. I am pretty sure my soldering skills won't be good enough to do the soldering required for the programmer, I have had a look and it looks far to small for me to attempt so I need to get a board. Without going into to much detail, is it possible to just assign the three position switch to the naza mode function without doing a mix and losing a channel on the RX if I change to the custom firmware?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hi, with the custom firmwares you can do it.. just assign a 3POS switch to any channel you want.. you don't lose any channels.. and even if you have to do mixes using other channels you have 16 of them.. For example, 1 to 8 you can use for the receiver channels and then you get 9 to 16 as real outputs if your RF module allows, or with 2 modules and 2 receivers via trainer port, or you can use them as virtual channels for mixes ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MTBguide

Post by MTBguide »

I'll start saving the money for a smartie parts board then! They do post to Portugal but with no tracking number, I am not sure how that will work with the customs and postal service here. It is hard enough getting anything to my address as it is !
MTBguide

Post by MTBguide »

I don't want to start another thread and clog up the forum so I will ask here. I am patting myself in the back a bit. I swapped two of the pots for three position switches, one on the back right for IOC in Naza and one on the back left with a momentary switch for gimbal control, I swapped that with the location of the two position switch back left so it is easier to reach whilst still having my thumbs on the controls.
I have emailed smartie parts and it looks like I either wait for ages for the board to arrive or pay three times as much as the board costs for shipping! I am not great at soldering but I will have a go and keep going until I get it right. I am better to have a go at doing the upgrade myself?
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

If you can swap out some switches you could probably add the programmer. You just have to decide how you want to mount it :)

Regarding shipping, overseas is tough. It costs as much to ship one of my Usbasp's as the item costs itself. The USPS customs/tracking number is getting better about tracking after it leaves USA, but Portugal isnt one of the Countries providing end to end tracking with 'USPS first class international package service'. To get end to end international tracking costs $$$

Last month I shipped to Faro Portugal from Cleveland Ohio USA and the duration was just over 2 weeks using USPS first class international package service. I think Smartie is in Canada and I dont know what service he utilizes so YMMV.
MTBguide

Post by MTBguide »

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Yes that will work.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Supposing it comes back in stock one day, that is.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

They did come back in stock for awhile. Well to be more exact they started selling 'LC tech ' Usbasp programmers for awhile. Yes HK is back out of stock. If you need a Usbasp now, check me out
http://9xrprogrammer.com

I have a few in stock :)
big box of usbasp
big box of usbasp

Return to “stock firmware (fly sky th9x)”