What firmware to run on a 9XR pro?

Not sure what firmware to use? Making a new firmware? Ask in here!
mikeller

Post by mikeller »

Hey 9XR pro users out there, what firmware are you using on your TX?

There seems to be a bit of a tie between ersky9xr and OpenTX, with the pros and cons of each being (in my opinion):

ersky9xr:

pros:
- good support of the 9XR pro hardware
- some features more advanced than in OpenTX

cons:
- project seems to be stagnant

OpenTx:

pros:
- more advanced features
- some features more advanced than in ersky9xr
- multi platform support
- project under active development

cons:
- project focused on supporting Taranis hardware, 9XR pro and others are just a side show
- most advanced features not implemented for anything but Taranis
- 'multi platform support' done poorly, code is often not reused between platforms

So, what are you guys using? Or am I even overlooking a contender for 'best firmware on 9XR pro'?

Background: I am a 9XR pro user, and I'd like to spend some time improving firmware for this TX, but I really don't know which project is a better choice to spend time on.

jhsa

Re: What firmware to run on a 9XR pro?

Post by jhsa »

I would like you to tell us why do you think the ersky9x project is stagnant? That was the best joke I have read in a lonnng time :mrgreen:
Ersky9x is being developed every day for 5 platforms. Skyboard, 9XR-PRO, Ar9x board, 9Xtreme board and Taranis radio. Nearly every day you can find test versions coming out..
Ersky9x supports extra hardware on most platforms. I currently use on most my radios ( four 9x and a PRO), rotary encoder, replaced ELE switch with 3 position, haptic feedback, taranis sliders, four pushbuttons on the back of the radio, bidirectional trainer over bluetooth between 2 ersky9x radios, and RGB backlight on my 9x with the 9xtreme board. All radios running frsky telemetry of course. Ahhhh, ersky9x fully supports the multi protocol module.. ;)
I'm sure I forgot a few features. New organised and user friendly menu system..
I think you should get your information right before making some statements.. ;)
About openTX being more advanced I'm not making a comment simply because I don't know, as I don't use it since nealy 2 years.
My question is, how good do you know both to assume ersky9x is less advanced, or at least in some aspects? ;) :)
I would say in some cases they do things differently..
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Plus one on all that. ErSky9x continues to be developed very actively, especially in relation to support for various hardware features.

With respect to the question in the heading, there's just no contest -- the best firmware for the 9XR Pro (and the other related platforms) is ErSky9x. They were designed for each other and continue to evolve together.
mikeller

Post by mikeller »

Hi João, Daedalus66.

First of all, I did not mean to offend or put off anyone. My question was open and honest, and the arguments listed are exactly how OpenTX and ersky9x present themselves to a relative RC newbie like me.

As for ersky9x, apart from the pointer to it in the printed leaflet that came in the box with my 9XR pro (complete with outdated URL), a google search on the interwebs gave me the following:

- http://www.ersky9x.net/ (last updated 2013, stating it's been closed down);
- a bunch of links to a code.google.com project (https://code.google.com/p/ersky9x/) that got frozen mid 2015 when google shut down code.google.com;
- some more links to PDFs of documentation for older versions of ersky9x, hosted on the HK website;
- a link to https://github.com/MikeBland/mbtx (which is specified somewhere in the code.google.com documentation as the new home of ersky9x). 13 commits since March 2015.

Forgive me, but to a newbie this looks stale. (And hint hint, maybe some SEO / cleanup would do good things for this project.)

And now the real question: Where can I find the active repository full of goodness that you gentlemen describe to me?

As for the things that I am missing in the (from what you are saying outdated) version of ersky9x that I tried on my TX, that OpenTX has (at least for the Taranis):

- working bluetooth support
- automatic discovery of telemetry channels
- joystick emulation
- support to dump TX config on-device
- support to write boot loader from firmware

If any of these are implemented in the active repository for ersky9x that I haven't been able to find - perfect. If not - I am willing to help fix this. I just did not want to put time into something that from the outside looked mostly dead.

As for your point about the menu structure, I see the ersky9x's tree navigation as better (i.e. 'more friendly') for 'consumer grade' devices. For mission critical applications (i.e. you have to rely on finding stuff while under pressure), I can see why one might choose the more rigid list structure of OpenTX.

(And is it just me, or is it weird that this forum defaults to not sending me notifications for replies to topics that I started? Hence the late reply, my apologies.)
Last edited by mikeller on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

1. openTx does NOT support bluetooth on the Taranis, except limited support on the X9E. ersky9x (found at http://www.er9x.com) supports an add on HC-05 bluetooth module that will relay telemetry data to a host, or provide wireless trainer to another erksy9x Tx.
2. ersky9x simply lists all supported telemetry sensors.
3. openTx doesn't support joystick on the 'PRO, both ersky9x and openTx support joystick on the Taranis.
4. Not quite sure what this is, Do you mean save the EEPROM to the SD card? ersky9x is just getting this.
5. ersky9x has support to re-write the bootloader, and had it long before openTx. I know this because I wrote the bootloader for both ersky9x and openTx and included the bootloader writing facility for ersky9x immediately I wrote the bootloader.

I accept it might not look like much is happening for you when you look around. For your information, I do keep posting interim test versions here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676.
I'm just still getting used to Github, having only been using googlecode for some time.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

mikeller wrote:Hi João, Daedalus66.

First of all, I did not mean to offend or put off anyone. My question was open and honest, and the arguments listed are exactly how OpenTX and ersky9x present themselves to a relative RC newbie like me.
No offense taken on my part ;)
As for ersky9x, apart from the pointer to it in the printed leaflet that came in the box with my 9XR pro (complete with outdated URL), a google search on the interwebs gave me the following:

- http://www.ersky9x.net/ (last updated 2013, stating it's been closed down);
That was the website from the skyboard. It is no longer produced.. Yeah, that board gave the name to the firmware, therefore the confusion..

As for the things that I am missing in the (from what you are saying outdated) version of ersky9x that I tried on my TX, that OpenTX has (at least for the Taranis):
On Ersky9x:
- working bluetooth support - Yes, telemetry and trainer over bluetooth. Bidirectional.
- automatic discovery of telemetry channels - No.
- joystick emulation - Not yet on the 9xr pro. Planned I think. OpenTX also doesn't have it. Ersky9x for taranis and 9Xtreme has joystick support.
- support to dump TX config on-device - I don't understand what you mean..
- support to rewrite boot loader - Definitely. in Maintenance mode/menu. You can flash the bootloader, program X series receivers and modules, etc
As for your point about the menu structure, I see the ersky9x's tree navigation as better (i.e. 'more friendly') for 'consumer grade' devices. For mission critical applications (i.e. you have to rely on finding stuff while under pressure), I can see why one might choose the more rigid list structure of OpenTX.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you. I have used both type of menu structures for a long time (since the very beginning about 5 years ago :) ) and I can tell that if I want to find something very quickly, an organized menu is much better..
The other kind of menu is a complete mess :D
This menu system is one of the reasons many people changed to er9x/ersky9x as far as I have been reading in the forums.
The other is the amazing hardware support that ersky9x has..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mikeller

Post by mikeller »

Hi Mike.

Thank you for your work on ersky9x.
MikeB wrote:1. openTx does NOT support bluetooth on the Taranis, except limited support on the X9E. ersky9x (found at http://www.er9x.com) supports an add on HC-05 bluetooth module that will relay telemetry data to a host, or provide wireless trainer to another erksy9x Tx.
bluetooth for the 9XR Pro seems to somewhat work in OpenTX, and fully work in their 'next' branch. I was about to backport the fixes into master when I discovered that they had completely different bt stack in use in the Taranis code. This inefficiency turned me off doing work for OpenTX.

At one stage I came across http://www.er9x.com/ (unfortunately Google does not seem to like it much), but I was not able to tell how old or new the linked files on there were, so I left them alone. Adding a date in addition to the release numbers, and a 'page last updated' footer would improve that page. Also, I think having a go at changing the various other pages that Google returns for searches for 'ersky9x' to point to this page might help getting newbies onto the right track.
MikeB wrote:2. ersky9x simply lists all supported telemetry sensors.
I kind of like OpenTX's approach to only display sensors that are actually receiving data. Maybe worth a feature branch.
MikeB wrote:4. Not quite sure what this is, Do you mean save the EEPROM to the SD card? ersky9x is just getting this.
Yes. The ability to do a dump of the complete config of the unit, out in the field, and then later on restore it, or load it onto the PC and analyse it. And please add a timestamp to the filename, so multiple dumps can be done.
MikeB wrote:5. ersky9x has support to re-write the bootloader, and had it long before openTx. I know this because I wrote the bootloader for both ersky9x and openTx and included the bootloader writing facility for ersky9x immediately I wrote the bootloader.
Nice. Will check that out.
MikeB wrote:I accept it might not look like much is happening for you when you look around. For your information, I do keep posting interim test versions here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676.
Thanks for the info. Will try them. Are these builds out of the 'next' branch in your repo? I like to get my binaries with a helping of source on the side. ;-)
MikeB wrote:I'm just still getting used to Github, having only been using googlecode for some time.
Same here. Interesting approaches in github.

Cheers
Michael Keller
mikeller

Post by mikeller »

Hi João.
jhsa wrote: That was the website from the skyboard. It is no longer produced.. Yeah, that board gave the name to the firmware, therefore the confusion..
Might be a matter of asking whoever owns that site, they might be willing to add a 'if you are looking for the tx firmware with the same name, please go to...' link.
jhsa wrote: Sorry, I have to disagree with you. I have used both type of menu structures for a long time (since the very beginning about 5 years ago :) ) and I can tell that if I want to find something very quickly, an organized menu is much better..
Try navigating to a particular menu setting under time pressure, and without looking at the screen... :lol:

Cheers
Michael Keller
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

mikeller wrote:Hi João.
jhsa wrote: That was the website from the skyboard. It is no longer produced.. Yeah, that board gave the name to the firmware, therefore the confusion..
Might be a matter of asking whoever owns that site, they might be willing to add a 'if you are looking for the tx firmware with the same name, please go to...' link.
He will see it here as He is a member of this forum.. You might not know but he also designed the 9XR-PRO's electronics ;)

Try navigating to a particular menu setting under time pressure, and without looking at the screen... :lol:
Under pressure? I do it all the time. Kids, wife, etc.. :) ;)
Without looking, I doubt I could navigate any of them. With one eye, ersky9x definitely. And with the 7 way encoder that I have on all my radios, even better..
But I would like to find a friend here using opentx and do a little race finding options starting from the main screen.
Anyway, for me it is not the time that matters. It is finding the options. It is them being organised in a logical way. I don't say the ersky9x menu structure is already perfect.. But it is getting very close to it. Mike did really put a lot of effort into it and the users really welcomed it..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mikeller

Post by mikeller »

Hi João.
jhsa wrote: He will see it here as He is a member of this forum.. You might not know but he also designed the 9XR-PRO's electronics ;)
Did he actually design it, or did the chinese just copy his design?
From a look at the spec sheets and some code, both the 9XR pro and the Taranis seem to be blatant clones of the sky board, albeit at different price points.
jhsa wrote:Under pressure? I do it all the time. Kids, wife, etc.. :) ;)
I see you are getting my point. :P

Cheers
Michael Keller
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

He designed it. The 9XR-PRO has basically a modified skyboard version 3. That is one of the reasons I think the pro is an excellent radio.
No copy on that one :)
Shame that HK discarded our (Beta testers) suggestion to ship it with better gimbals.. it would have been a killer radio.. it is still a great value for its price.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mikeller

Post by mikeller »

MikeB wrote: 4. Not quite sure what this is, Do you mean save the EEPROM to the SD card? ersky9x is just getting this.
Seen it, looks good. And with that I also have my first bug report for you: When holding in left trim left on startup to enable the EEPROM menu, if the trim is held until the TX is fully booted, this will shift the actual trim, without giving an audio confirmation. If a user is not careful, this can lead to the trim being moved far from where the user expects it to be. I would probably only start shifting the trim after startup once the trim buttons have been released.

btw, do you want bug reports in here, or should I open github issues for future bug reports?

jhsa wrote:Shame that HK discarded our (Beta testers) suggestion to ship it with better gimbals.. it would have been a killer radio.. it is still a great value for its price.
Totally agree. This looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GxgPQ8KvQ8
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah they fit. But... (there's always a "but" ;) ) apparently the sticks hit the faceplate at the corners :(
I still didn't try this on mine. I'm kinda retiring my Pro as I now have 2 platforms that have the space inside to add more hardware. :)
It has been an excellent radio for about 2 years.. lots of fun..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If the left trim is on at power up, then the splash screen is forced to show, even if it is turned off. You have 4 seconds, while the splash screen shows in which to release the trim switch, before it will affect the trim setting.

Navigating the menu indices should be quite quick and easy, you may move up, down left and right between them.

Only displaying sensors that are receiving data means you can only configure the Tx for them while the model is powered as well. Also, this depends on what equipment you have in the model. If you have the older FrSky hub, then all possible sensor data is sent whether the sensor is fitted or not. Likewise, if you have DSM telemetry (not supported on openTx I believe), then you again get some sensor data whether sensors are fitted or not.

The EEPROM dump creates a filename that includes the date at present. I have still to add the time to allow multiple dumps on the same day.

Brent designed the original SKY board, with input from me. He also designed the 9XR-PRO board, again with input from me. I was (am) also involved with FrSky and had input into the hardware design of the Taranis and X9E (and Horus). Now we also have the 9Xtreme, and again I helped with the hardware design for that! Perhaps it is not too surprising that some parts of all these are similar!

I'm trying to reach a point where I can do a release of ersky9x from Github, then I hope to do releases more frequently.

For the moment, please just post small bugs somewhere on here, anything major may be an issue on Github.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

mikeller wrote:
MikeB wrote: And with that I also have my first bug report for you: When holding in left trim left on startup to enable the EEPROM menu, if the trim is held until the TX is fully booted, this will shift the actual trim, without giving an audio confirmation. If a user is not careful, this can lead to the trim being moved far from where the user expects it to be. I would probably only start shifting the trim after startup once the trim buttons have been released.
That's not a bug, it's an operator error. Just don't hold the trim for a long time.

By the way, I find the logical menu structure very helpful.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

A bug exists when something doesn't work as intended.. ;) :) I think it is not the case, as it was intended to work exactly the way it does?? :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mikeller

Post by mikeller »

Daedalus66 wrote: That's not a bug, it's an operator error. Just don't hold the trim for a long time.
I see the fact that the trim is permanently changed without giving the acoustical feedback that is given when changing the trim at other times as a bug. And the UI design that allows for this operator error is also suboptimal and inconsistent. If this was the desired behaviour, why do we have stick / switch warnings on startup? (Imagine the throttle up trim being held down / stuck on startup. Suddenly we are faced with a TX starting with non - zero throttle, despite not having given a throttle warning...)
mikeller

Post by mikeller »

Hi Mike.
MikeB wrote:If the left trim is on at power up, then the splash screen is forced to show, even if it is turned off. You have 4 seconds, while the splash screen shows in which to release the trim switch, before it will affect the trim setting.
Ok. But then what about at least giving the acoustical feedback when the throttle starts changing? This way at least the user gets an indication that something (potentially undesired) is happening. (Obviously the feedback should be there for all trims when they are on at startup.)
MikeB wrote:Navigating the menu indices should be quite quick and easy, you may move up, down left and right between them.
As I said before, my point never was that the menu structure was a bad design. It was more one about there also being reasons why some users might want to stick with a more traditional UI design.

Cheers
Michael Keller
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

More traditional? you mean a messy menu system is traditional? or something more organised and user friendly like ersky9x? I think this is what you find in many good products you buy.. Ok, I accept that "Some" might like the more difficult to navigate, less user friendly, and messy kind of menu. Well, openTX uses that kind of menu.. We can't please everyone, can we? :) I have read many good reports about the er9x/ersky9x menu system. I personally find it extremely good and user friendly. I don't think Mike will change it back, so, is it worth to keep mentioning it? :D

About the trims at startup. You got a point there. Maybe if a trim (or more) is pressed at power ON, all trims should be disabled until all trim switches were released, plus a little delay in case someone released the trim for a fraction of the second or a bad connection on one of the trim switches..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It does give beeps, although some are, I admit, masked by the voice announcement, either welcome message or model name.
One thing (among many) on my "todo" list is to add code to mix beeps and the voice on the audio output.

Regarding the throttle trim concept, this applies as a possible problem, I would suggest, to electric models, not IC. For electric models, having the trim operate on the throttle is actually not necessary, in which case you could disable the use of the trim in the throttle channel mix. I would also suggest you make use of a safety switch on the throttle channel, that holds the output at throttle off until the switch is moved. Since this switch should also be checked in the switch warnings, then you shouldn't get the situation of the Tx starting with the throttle not off, wherever the throttle stick and trim are.

I'll look into possible changes to handle the trim switch better. What you won't know is the feature of protecting the hardware menu, that requires this trim switch to be held, was only added a short time ago. At the time, I felt 4 seconds (the splash timeout) was plenty of time in which to release the trim switch before it actually affects the trim setting.

I'm not sure what a "traditional" UI design might be! Personally I find navigating around on a Taranis using openTx rather awkward. In particular, if you page 'right' past the menu you want, it isn't easy/quick (long press page) to go back. Ersky9x uses the buttons differently on the Taranis (soft labels on the LCD display) and makes this much easier.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
nico

Post by nico »

hello mike! or anybody who knows my problem, i'm new to the hobby just got my used 9xr pro from e-bay auction, my bootloader has empty firmware and remains empty even i have flashed the latest firmware, any help? thanks in advance
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

How did you flash the firmware?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
nico

Post by nico »

i follow the quad noob procedure on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOEvvDpWEb8
Last edited by nico on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

nico for the 9XR-Pro, you do not use er9x firmware.
You need to flash ersky9x for 9XR-PRO, find it here: (http://www.er9x.com/).
You can use eepSkye on you PC to connect USB with your 9XR-Pro radio.
See Videos here for help too: (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... qcuIqJXhb9).

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
nico

Post by nico »

bob thank's for your time ill do it asap and get back to you for the result.
nico

Post by nico »

hi bob B.! what i use was ersky9x to flash my 9xr pro i don't know where the problem is, don't you think i have to go back to default firmware or the original firmware before i go to upgrading into latest firmware.? i think my tx has no firmware and i go to the process of upgrading my firmware where in the first place i have nothing to upgrade what do you think any ideas? i'm sorry i'm new to this
Last edited by nico on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: What firmware to run on a 9XR pro?

Post by jhsa »

nico wrote:i follow the quad noob procedure on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOEvvDpWEb8
The project page he shows on the video is very old and not online anymore..
Also before you power off the radio, you have to safe eject the drives from windows and then disconnect the USB cable. Don't do as he did on the video as it could cause all sorts of problems, like the radio being recognized by the computer for example..

Also, the bootloader is empty because you didn't put any firmware file on your radio's SD Card.
Start the radio in bootloader mode as he explained on the video, then you will see 2 drives. One is your SD Card, the other has 2 files which are a copy of the eeprom and firmware. Leave this drive alone.
Open the SD Card drive.
Now create a folder called "firmware"
Go to www.er9x.com and download the latest Ersky9x (not Er9x) firmware.
Open the zip file you have just downloaded. Extract the file "ersky9xr_rom.bin", and copy it to the " firmware" folder you've just created.
Safe eject the drives from Windows and unplug the USB cable. Now the radio should show the file you've just copied to the SD Card.
If you want to flash the firmware, you can just select the file and press MENU long. Then press it again to confirm.. When finished press EXIT, and reboot the radio.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
nico

Post by nico »

perfect! thanks joao we made it.
Last edited by nico on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Wonderful, Well done :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jolasa

Post by jolasa »

I have the 9xr Pro.

Do I want to flash ersky9x version 220?

Will this give me L switches (instead of the old S switches)?

Return to “other”