Urgent Help Needed with Turnigy 9x

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
nate892

Urgent Help Needed with Turnigy 9x

Post by nate892 »

Hi, I have an urgent problem which I cant seem to solve, I am hoping one of you can help me asap. I own a Turnigy 9x that I bought from Hobbyking, ended up frying it with a batt polarity error. I bought a new tx, but without a module, took the module from my burnt tx and put it in the new one.

It binds fine, but refuses to arm.
Using the multiwii GUI, it acts really weird, aux channel switches...basically work when they feel too...I flick switches...they change randomly sometime after...

I installed er9x as i did with the fried tx....calibrated sticks, still no change. What i noticed as well...using the android ez gui app...) i have a bluetooth module connected to my multiwii FC) is that the sticks are not centered, they seem to be a bit off. no matter what i do to trims..etc

What did i do wrong? How can I fix this? I need to be back up and flying asap. Thanks in advance.

Additional info..Build components: Multiwii MicroWii FC, Hobbyking H4 Frame, Turnigy 9x as stated before

Kilrah

Re: Urgent Help Needed with Turnigy 9x

Post by Kilrah »

See the wiki for the reverse polarity fix. The regulator in the RF module will typically blow as well, so it might need replacement.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

It binds fine, but refuses to arm.
Binding normally is done from the module alone, no ppm signal from the radio, only battery power is required.
When it binds, but does not arm, I would expect, that the ppm signal coming from the board does not get into the rf module.
The module may be poorly seated or pins make poor contact. Also check the electrical contact from the pins to the board. Maybe broken.

Reinhard
nate892

Post by nate892 »

Hi, thanks for the response, I got it to arm, but by setting a switch to arm, but it does not fly well at all and barely lifts off the ground, from what i saw through the ez gui app, the sticks are not centered, i edited each channel to try and center the sticks, aileron left works fine, elevator backwards fine but the right and forward only go half way, that is, if i push all the way to the right on the tx, in the gui it only shows half, similar thing happens with throttle and rudder, full throttle only equates to a little over half throttle in the gui and i only go halfway on right yaw. I also have my gear switch set top flip between horizon(auto levelling) and altitude hold, but it goes from horizon to manual. Additionally, changing those flight modes....happens...randomly....i flip the switch...nothing happens...sometime later on the mode changes, totally randomly, I have no idea what is going on, The rf module seems to be seated properly and making contact with pins.. I can double check this, I may have to unsolder the antenna and use the back part from my old tx and try.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think you need to calibrate the sticks.. Sorry, just read that you already calibrate them.. but try doing it again as the behaviour you describe points to sticks not calibrated..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Any chance your mode setting is wrong?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What revision of er9x are you running?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
nate892

Post by nate892 »

MikeB wrote:What revision of er9x are you running?

Mike.
V1.1481
nate892

Post by nate892 »

jhsa wrote:I think you need to calibrate the sticks.. Sorry, just read that you already calibrate them.. but try doing it again as the behaviour you describe points to sticks not calibrated..

João
Calibrated multiple times, :( editing the weight and offsets of each channel in the channel mixer, helped slightly, but nothing much.
Last edited by nate892 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
nate892

Post by nate892 »

Rob Thomson wrote:Any chance your mode setting is wrong?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Checked this and its in the correct mode, which is mode 2...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

nate892 wrote:
jhsa wrote:I think you need to calibrate the sticks.. Sorry, just read that you already calibrate them.. but try doing it again as the behaviour you describe points to sticks not calibrated..

João
Calibrated multiple times, :( editing the weight and offsets of each channel in the channel mixer, helped slightly, but nothing much.
Hmmm, :(

Ok, try this..
Create a new model and don't change any settings. one of the main screens is a graphic emulation of the sticks with 2 little circles that move inside 2 squares, depending on stick position.. does it show the sticks off center there??

Also in the limits menu, (make sure you have the latest er9x installed).
There is a number at the top of the screen that shows the channel position in Micro seconds, when you select a channel. So, with sticks at center it should display a number around 1500..
also when you are at it, and if it passed the centering test, move the sticks to both ends and write down the values you read. it should read around 988 for stick left/down and about 2012 for stick up/right..

If all these values are correct, the problem might be your flight controller, or the RF module as you say you reversed polarity on it.. Normally it get's damaged as kilrah said above..

I hope it helps

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

jhsa wrote:
nate892 wrote:

João

Ok, try this..
Create a new model and don't change any settings. one of the main screens is a graphic emulation of the sticks with 2 little circles that move inside 2 squares, depending on stick position.. does it show the sticks off center there??

There is a number at the top of the screen that shows the channel position in Micro seconds, when you select a channel. So, with sticks at center it should display a number around 1500..
also when you are at it, and if it passed the centering test, move the sticks to both ends and write down the values you read. it should read around 988 for stick left/down and about 2012 for stick up/right..

If all these values are correct, the problem might be your flight controller, or the RF module as you say you reversed polarity on it.. Normally it get's damaged as kilrah said above..

I hope it helps

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

Select the channel output screen on the radio.
There you see the logical output for each radio channel.
Check if this corresponds to the real channel output you see via your Android app.
If they do match, the problem is to be found in the radio.
If they don't match, the problem has to do with the radio module or your receiver.
If the problems turns out to depend on the radio link you should buy a new transmitter module. Reversing polarity in the old radio might have fried your module too, even if it is not completely dead. Never fly with a transmitter module or receiver that has had issues.
Alex2m

Post by Alex2m »

Hi

On the first install of er9x you have to calibrate the sticks. This is easy to do and is explained in the er9x manual (one of the few things I found easy to understand). It involves centring everything and going to the calibration screen ... And after a few seconds it's done. I'm actually surprised you don't mention the error message that appears on boot up if you haven't done the cal ...

The fact that movement appears random on the PC is because the USB connection between the Multiwii and the PC is slow and doesn't update the screen fast enough. But it works.

What I haven't found anywhere is how to simply map channels to switches ... In the past I had mapped ch5 on the GEA switch to the Arm function of the Multiwii, since I had never been able to use the zero throttle right/left rudder to arm/disarm. Have been pondering on EEPE for a week now with zero success...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
kaos

Post by kaos »

Alex2m wrote:Hi
What I haven't found anywhere is how to simply map channels to switches ... In the past I had mapped ch5 on the GEA switch to the Arm function of the Multiwii, since I had never been able to use the zero throttle right/left rudder to arm/disarm. Have been pondering on EEPE for a week now with zero success...
I have been using zero throttle right/left rud to arm/diaarm with mulitwii or a switch as you do. If i remember correctly there is a place you can turn that function on/off in the muliwii setup. you may want to check if you turn that off.
Alex2m

Post by Alex2m »

You are right, there is... However, the plot thickens:
- I switched to opentx, because the screens and simulator in Companion work better than in épée
- however, without mixes, I get alerts for stuck switches that I wasn't getting in er9x
- mapping channel 5 to the Gear stick and Channel 6 to the 3-pos was easy ...
- ... However the Multiwii only sees aux1 =channel 5 but not aux 2 or 3 also connected...
-... And even, if on the RC Setting screen I try to use channel 5 for anything else than Arm, the setting doesn't get saved!

I want a Naza for my birthday ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
kikirikiki

Post by kikirikiki »

jhsa wrote:
nate892 wrote:

João

Ok, try this..

I hope it helps

Hi, I've read this post and I have a similar problem. When I try to calibrate my Turnigy 9x in my Flight Controller, I can not reach points above 1500 micro seconds, how can I correct it?
Thanks a lot!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What firmware do you have on your 9X?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “Hardware Mods”