Installation of MegaSound 9X

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
LTMNO

Re: Installation of MegaSound 9X

Post by LTMNO »

Question, what if there is no files on the SD card at the moment?
Is that a problem?
I have formatted the Card FAT and was going to load the files via Serial when it was on.

Just thinking out loud here...
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

This can be a problem!
Fill up your memory file and try it!
http://rc.emiter.hu/ (MegaSound 9X, GCL-2, FrSky-RSSI-DAC, etc.) Keress fel!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With no display, there must be some problem with the LCD connections. Use a meter and check there are no shorts between adjacent connections.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hello,
Thanks for the input Gentlemen, after futher debugging.. tearing it all apart..
I measured the LCD lines from top to bottom, it appears that D1 upper 10k R is open.
I just had to go out and grab some more solder.. going to replace and see if that fixes the problem.
Then, put it all back together again. ;-)

Stay tuned.

Edit: >>>UPDATE>>>>
Repair Job.jpg
Well, it seems that replacing the 0803 10K Resistor above D1 was the culprit.
Once that was removed and replaced with a Thru-Hole for now... the Radio turns back on and the LCD is functioning.
The good news is that that means the Power Regulator Mod works as well. ;-)

So, tonight after the kids goto bed, I will be placing headers on the MegaSound9x board and then the pins on the Cables that are already wired in and put it back together again.

Who says, practise doesn't make perfect.

Thanks for all the help.

Oh, forgot to mention that I now put Steel Pins from old resistors in the Vias so that it is easy to connect to. That way I am not soldering down low and close to the 5K and 10K Resistors. I will heatshrink after I connect and cut them down.

Pino.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Alright.. the jury is out...
The good news... is that the Radio works again and I know I mentioned that before but it works now that the MegaSound9x is installed.
I power it directly from the Regulator Mod and there is absolutely no hum or hissing, its quite beautiful actually. I wonder if the Taranis boys should try that... to fix their loud Humming.
Anyway back on topic here... I have selected the MegaSound setting and it speaks... Note to Joao, file 0269 is loaded but when I select that on the Radio for "QuadCopter" it doesn't say it. It stops at 0265 and doesn't sound files higher. Again, I digress. I am getting +8.1v at the moment from the Regulator supplied to the MegaSound9x but unfortunately my LED Backlight does not come on. I have wired the two connections accordingly and I know the Backlight did work as I used it before the Mod. The voltage at the -/+ of the BackLight is 1.96V I am sure that it is not enough to light up.. perhaps is needs more?
If someone could validate that, that would be great. Not sure if the Backlight is 2V or 3.3V or 5V. ;-)

I will check in the morning when the other side of the World checks in.

Cheers.

Pino.

p.s. the sound is phenomenal, very clear and crisp.

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

On a good note, the Serial works over FTDI. ;-)
Screenshot 2014-03-04 23.26.08.jpg
And Joao, now that I manually updated the 0269 File it says Quadcopter. ;-)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

See, just do things manually next time ;) stop being lazy :mrgreen:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Ha, I guess now you are going to ask me to rip the radio apart again to see what is going on with the LED backlight...
I thought for sure you would have posted that already. ;-)
I guess I should see if I could test it with a Battery directly.. but I assume I need to put a Resistor in place to do that.. otherwise I will burn out the LED...
What R Value should i have if I want to test it out... and how much Power should I supply at a minimum?

>>>>>> Update >>>>>>

Thanks to Joao and some more debugging.. and seriously.. thinking out of the box to test.. just escaped me..
LED.jpg
LED Backlight.jpg
This radio is testing my patience... now i have to rip it all apart again to replace the LED Screen.. just so happens that I have a spare... unbelievable...
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Glad to say that we are back in business and on to the next problem...
just kidding... all good for now as the replacement LED Backlight is installed... For anyone that uses Hot Glue in your radio, admit it, we all do... Alcohol Rub is a great product to help remove it...Off to pick up some more parts so that I can move on the the joystick/rotary switch modifications.

Great product HC1969!, the sound is very good... very loud I have to turn down to 30%
HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Thank you! Use satisfaction! :)
HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

virulosity

Post by virulosity »

Hello! I have been trying to install megasound into my 9x with the latest ER9x firmware. I am using the smartie parts board (2.4) with telemetry EZ and FrSky DHT module. I cannot get any of the sounds to play, but the radio functions normally otherwise. The only thing that I did not do is wire to the LED backlight (hobbyking) per the directions. Do you need the backlight connected for the unit to work? I have read through this thread and the instructions several times. I verified that D0-D3 are correct and also PB7. Any other thoughts? Is there a folder that the sound files need to be in? Right now they are dumped in the root directory of the SD card.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

the files must be in the card's root directory.
What sound mode do you have selected in the tx's general settings? It should be "PiSpkVoice"
when the radio beeps, do you hear them on the megasound's speaker?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
virulosity

Post by virulosity »

Yes I hear beep sounds on the new speaker I had my radio set to megasound, but I will change it to PiSpkVoice. I decided to pull of the hot glue and check on my D0-D3 solder points. When I pulled it off a few SMD resistors came with it! I am not sure if I can repair this myself. Are there any places in the US that could repair my radio and finish the install?
LTMNO

Installation of MegaSound 9X

Post by LTMNO »

Question....if you don't hook up the BP9 from MegaSound9x and have the PD2 enabled on Processor for the Haptic Mod will you still get Haptic?
Is Haptic dependant on MegaSound9x or just straight Processor via the Firmware?

I guess, the Haptic is not connected to the MegaSound so it could not be dependant is my guess. Logically, what ever is connected to the PD2 will have power/pulse/etc sent to it via the firmware as they are spare pins that this was done for.

Please confirm?

One other question, if the Haptic Mod requires that you have the Transistor in place can you still hook up the BP9 from the MegaSound to the designated Pad in the setup?
Will this cause any problems?
Last edited by LTMNO on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

virulosity wrote:Hello! I have been trying to install megasound into my 9x with the latest ER9x firmware. I am using the smartie parts board (2.4) with telemetry EZ and FrSky DHT module. I cannot get any of the sounds to play, but the radio functions normally otherwise. The only thing that I did not do is wire to the LED backlight (hobbyking) per the directions. Do you need the backlight connected for the unit to work? I have read through this thread and the instructions several times. I verified that D0-D3 are correct and also PB7. Any other thoughts? Is there a folder that the sound files need to be in? Right now they are dumped in the root directory of the SD card.
Hello Virulosity, just wanted to comment that you don't need the BackLight for the MegaSound to work.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

As I remember you do need to wire the backlight control wire to the megasound board however.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, small keys and a big finger.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The backlight connection to the megasound is one of the D0-D3 wires (D2 from memory). If you don't wish to use the backlight, then you don't need the wire.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

If you are not connected to each line (D0-D3 and PB7 and power wires), it will not work and will cause confusion in the LCD control!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

virulosity wrote:Yes I hear beep sounds on the new speaker I had my radio set to megasound, but I will change it to PiSpkVoice. I decided to pull of the hot glue and check on my D0-D3 solder points. When I pulled it off a few SMD resistors came with it! I am not sure if I can repair this myself. Are there any places in the US that could repair my radio and finish the install?
Check your PM messages.

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

See, I was speaking of the actually +/- wires from the Backlight... if they are not connect the card should still work?
I was assuming in case you did not have a Backlight at the time or it was damaged.

Anyone have a guess on this question...
Question....if you don't hook up the BP9 from MegaSound9x and have the PD2 enabled on Processor for the Haptic Mod will you still get Haptic?
Is Haptic dependant on MegaSound9x or just straight Processor via the Firmware?

I guess, the Haptic is not connected to the MegaSound so it could not be dependant is my guess. Logically, what ever is connected to the PD2 will have power/pulse/etc sent to it via the firmware as they are spare pins that this was done for.

Please confirm?

One other question, if the Haptic Mod requires that you have the Transistor in place can you still hook up the BP9 from the MegaSound to the designated Pad in the setup?
Will this cause any problems?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The haptic should be completely separate from the megasound. I'm not sure what connection BP9 is?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hello Mike, the BP9 is the PAD on the MegaSound9x Board from HC1969.

My Haptic Mod
My Haptic Mod
But on my Haptic Mod from the previous MegaSound we(you developed) built... the Transistor is intact.. where the Bp is marked is where it goes to the MegaSound. Its just been a long time since I have added Haptic so just wondering if it is different on this HC1969 Board and okay to connect?

On HC1969 he has it connected to my Red Dot called 1 but I have haptic Mod in place so I am asking if it is okay to put where I marked Bp on my diagram. Again, seems silly to ask, but I can't recall if this was alright, I don't have that radio anymore as its sold.

Thanks.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I connected the Beeper input to the main board, see: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=948&p=28911&hilit=beeper#p28911.

I've never added haptic so I'm not sure otherwise.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hello Mike,
happy to report back that the Haptic now works after connecting the BP9 to the BP marked in my above diagram. So the Transistor doesn't have any effect/affect with my setup.. I was concerned for nothing.

Unfortunately, now I am trying to debug a Stick problem. I have a brand new T9x that has been sitting for a few months and finally got around to Mod'ng it.. I have swapped out 1 Gimbal with a spare Gimbal (Stock9x) and have a left-right swipe problem. I can't get more than 85% on one of the Gimbals and the other gimbal just slowly moves back to center on hard right motion. Very Strange....
I have 2 more Spare Gimbals and will try them out. I wonder if the POTS in the earlier gimbals are different? Who knows how long HK has had my radio in the warehouse?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Sounds like a defective pot. I've had several 9Xs with that issue.
HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Contact failure, or axis wobbling?
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Thanks for the reply gents... i was afraid of that... it seems that they are not so easily replaced.. without actually replacing the Gimbal.
I will swap it out today and see what happens. Perhaps the soldering of the 3-wires on them could damage the contacts/swiper inside? (too much heat)
I have 2 gimbals to try from an old parts radio... hopefully they are okay or its Taranis Gimbals as the replacement.

Question, is 24AWG wire (silicon) small enough for internal wiring? I did rewire the whole radio the switches and pots work great and the throttle/rudder Mode2 work fine too.

update:
Amazing, how I have 3 extra Gimbals, all have bad pots..
When Calibrated, I get the range of....
71 to -83
66 to -100
67 to -95
respectively...
I test my Taranis Gimbal via Alligator Leads and I get 100 to -100

I am really frustrated by this... I wanted to have 1 ER9x Radio and 1 OpenTx Radio...
Hence the reason for using the original Gimbals... (no support for reverse switching in OpenTx)

Oh well, can't say I didn't try. I am not up for the repair job on Gimbal Pots.

Sorry to post this on this thread...
Last edited by LTMNO on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

In case anyone one needs/wants it, i have created a guide on how to add Haptic with MegaSound.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the pictorial DIY. I've done many 9x conversions but can always use another DIY approach for the project notebook.
FYI
I also remove the metal V from the board. It was there as a counterpoise (RF antenna system ground plane) for the longer AC wavelength tx frequencies before 2.4g. All DC grounds are carried through with actual wires and not dependent on a pressure connection from the mating of the case halves.
I found the V was just getting in the way.
SM

Return to “Hardware Mods”