Introducing: TelemetrEZ

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
s_mack

Re: Introducing: TelemetrEZ

Post by s_mack »

Having those switches unresponsive means, ultimately, that there's no (compatible) communication between the TelemetrEZ and the 9x, or there's something wrong with the switches. So these are the possibilities:
  • The switches are defective (doubful. Easily tested by uninstalling TelemetrEZ)
  • The switch jumpers going to/from the 9x and the TelemetrEZ are reversed (show us a picture)
  • The 2-wire going between the 9x and TelemetrEZ is missing or mis-wired
  • The 9x doesn't have firmware that supports the TelemetrEZ
  • The TelemetrEZ doesn't have firmware at all (quite common when updating for the user to accidentally load the HTML page instead of the actual firmware hex file)
  • defective TelemetrEZ (rare)

OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

MikeB wrote:If the flashing of the r90 for the TEZ is OK, then this should now work.
I understand the switches did work when you had r86 on the TEZ and the TEZ > r89 option turned off.

To check the flashing is working correctly, could you put r86 back on the TEZ and check to see if the switches then work (with TEZ > r89 option turned off).

Mike.
Yes, they work fine.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, back to r90 then. Please double check the file you have, as s_mack says, is the valid hex file and not the html file.
You may well have it correct, but go to this page: http://code.google.com/p/9x-telemetrez/ ... metrEZ.hex, then right click on the "View raw file" link on the right and select saveAs.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

MikeB wrote:OK, back to r90 then. Please double check the file you have, as s_mack says, is the valid hex file and not the html file.
You may well have it correct, but go to this page: http://code.google.com/p/9x-telemetrez/ ... metrEZ.hex, then right click on the "View raw file" link on the right and select saveAs.

Mike.
It worked like a charm :)
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It looks like you were flashing an html file then ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

redline

Post by redline »

anyone got a quick link to instructions for flashing the TelemetrEZ board?
redline

Post by redline »

found myself a gui app to see if it gives me any more descriptive errors ... and it didnt really(see attached pic) .... hmmm
Attachments
error.jpg
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

On the first post of this thread is a link to another post (in this thread) that describes the process and gives the tool. eXtreme Burner AVR, as far as I know, doesn't support the chip that's in the TelemetrEZ.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

jhsa wrote:It looks like you were flashing an html file then ;)

João
No mate, i would go to the link and "right click, save link as".
An html file is identified by the browser, anyway something went wrong for sure.
Now solved.
A big Thx to Mike!
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, it's working and that's what counts ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
redline

Post by redline »

Is there a tool other than the one in the first post I can try that gives a more descriptive error to try and work out what I've done wrong ?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm sorry, I've lost track of what programmer you are using. Is it a USBASP? Or do you have a SmartieParts board?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

redline

Post by redline »

yep soldered in programming port and usbasp
Can see it in my previous post Here
redline

Post by redline »

any other hints on what I have stuffed up here?
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Sorry, its been kind of difficult following your posts. I'm going to go through everything now and see if I can piece together enough info to get you moving.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

OK, back to this post(I thought I already replied to this... but my reply isn't there).
redline wrote:sorry was not at my pc before .... stepping through it right now:
1. Attach usbasp ribbon cable to header on the tEZ (honestly I dont know which way it goes. I aligned the red edge of the ribbon cable AWAY from the arrow on the tEZ header. (see pics))
2. Run t1634programmer. It sits waiting saying "USBASP not detected(is it plugged in?)"
3. Plug in USB. t1634programmer tool changes to "Connect the target". red light on usbasp blinks once every second but nothing else happens.
4. I then repeated the process with the miso-mosi plug and frsky plug removed from the tEZ to make sure things were not interfering there. No change.

Finally I repeated the 4 steps with the ribbon cable the other way around on the tEZ header (Red edge of cable on end of header that has the arrow) Results no difference.

First, the orientation of the plug IS DESCRIBED in the TelemetrEZ instructions, and is marked on the board itself (you'll notice the white box surrounding the header has a "key" in it that matches the key found on a standard ISP plug)... although, due to having NO control over the various USBasp manufacturing that may exist, its important to verify. The power pin is also indicated. In your photos, it appears yours is plugged in backwards. It is possible this damaged something, so we have to keep that in mind.

Second, eliminate variables. You shouldn't have ANYTHING plugged into the TelemetrEZ (other than the USBasp) when trying to flash its firmware.

Third... I have no idea what's going on with that ribbon cable. It appears your USBasp is simultaneously plugged into the TelemetrEZ and your radio? Is this the case?? Because there's next to no way you can program anything in that case.

So take this one step at a time. Remove the TelemetrEZ entirely from your 9x and connect only your USBasp to the TelemetrEZ and nothing else. Follow the instructions to flash firmware to the TelemetrEZ and tell us how that goes... EXACTLY.

Other notes:

- If your USBasp can successfully program your 9x, then this isn't a USBasp driver issue (same driver for both processes).
- The automated tool, as stated earlier, is a rudimentary piece of software that was designed for use with producing the TelemetrEZ... so yes, it is lacking in feedback when things don't go right. Also, it makes NO checks at all for if you're giving it the right file! It will say "success" if it flashes the unit with an invalid file (it doesn't know the difference).
redline

Post by redline »

thanks very much for this.
Ok the key marked on the header 'box' is what I missed before so have that round the right way now (however I have tried it the wrong way previously so will have to work out if that broke anything)
The cable that came with the USBASP has 2 'ends' (have never used the 2nd end tho) so have attached a pic of that. Guessing it looked like the 2nd end was also attached to something in the previous pics.
Have removed the tEZ from the 9x now so all of this is done with nothing else plugged in to the tEZ board apart from the cable in the pictures.

Downloaded programmer tool again to start from scratch. Just using the hex file included in the zip for now.
Run the t1634programmer tool. Says "USBASP not detected".
I plug the USBASP to the combuter with tEZ plugged in as per the photo I have attached.
Tool changes to "connect the target" as soon as I plug it in and then nothing else happens.
Attachments
20140828_074619.jpg
20140828_074530.jpg
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Well, something's not right. Can you contact me directly via email with your order number (or full name you ordered with) and we'll get this sorted.
redline

Post by redline »

sorry bought it off rcgroups for sale thread 2nd hand :-( So maybe that's why it was for sale in the first place :-(
redline

Post by redline »

as far as I could see it was un-used when I bought it but obviously you can never be sure
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Well, wherever you got it... I stand by the product. Look, the person you bought it from could have damaged it, you could have damaged it with the reverse plug... or it could have been defective and this is just bad luck. Wherever the blame, let's look at options.

I've got 3 possibilities for you. All of them cost some money, but I'll do my best to be fair with you. If you're interested, use my contact page to send me a message (just remind me who you are).
redline

Post by redline »

awesome I do appreciate the extra support. I did however nearly buy a taranis last week .. lol
Will contact you through there.
thanks
redline

Post by redline »

lol it would appear yahoo email addresses don't work to you. Lets see if gmail works.
redline

Post by redline »

Its alive! woohoo!
redline

Post by redline »

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Gentlemen, its been a while, I am curious as to what is the correct version for TelemetrEZ with Open9X m128 running OpenTx latest.
I can't seem to get the THR and AIL switches to engage.
I have tried R89 and R90.

Many Thanks!
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

I have gone back to R86 and that fixes the switch problems.
not sure if that is the one i should be using?

Thanks.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

R89 should do it, make sure the openTx version you load has the telemetrez option.

Sent via mobile
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hi Kilrah, I did try that.. i have that option enabled... I will try again.. and report back.

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”