All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
redline

Re: Introducing: TelemetrEZ

Post by redline »

just tried it ... no difference to the telemetrez version

redline

Post by redline »

just tried erx9-frsky . .. no difference. where is the setting to change the baud rate?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I must get r813 out. You need the provisional r813 version from here: download/file.php?id=8095.
It will be a bit confusing, possibly, as the radio setup menu is completely changed, but the setting you need is under hardware.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
redline

Post by redline »

ok tried the frsky version in that zip file.
Has an option in the hardware section called telemetrez>r89.
tried it in the off and on position. No difference.
I have been doing all these testa with it powered by the usbasp (not on battery) will that make any difference?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please test using the battery power. The TEZ board monitors the PPM signal from the main processor. If it is NOT present, the TEZ board assumes you are programming the main processor and shuts down so as not to upset the programming operation. Without the battery power present, the main processor may not generate the PPM signal.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Also, now that you've attempted to update the firmware on the TelemetrEZ, its possible (if you didn't do it correctly) that you'll have these symptoms regardless of 9x firmware you are using. That's the danger of trying things first. So do as Mike suggests and try er9x-frsky on your 9x. If you're still having trouble, then try flashing the TelemetrEZ inself again and make note of the size of the file you're flashing to it. It is a common mistake to download the html page containing the hex information, rather than the hex file itself. The software says "success" either way, because it flashes whatever you tell it to... it has no way of knowing if its a valid file. The hex file should be 10 or 11k while the html file is much larger.

For the record: With everything working properly, if the 9x doesn't have supporting firmware then it is expected that you'll have a switch error on AIL and THR. That is NOT (necessarily) an indication that something is wrong, but usually just that appropriate firmware hasn't been installed on the 9x.
redline

Post by redline »

Ok kool thanks for all this guys.
Just tried on Battery with er9x-frsky that MikeB link and no change to before.
So I am thinking I need to work out if the telemetrez is functioning and see if i can update the firmware on it.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Can you post a picture of your wiring from the TEZ board to the main board?
It's possible you have the connections crossed. One of the classic things about serial connections is Tx on one end is Rx on the other.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
redline

Post by redline »

Oh wait ive been doing these test also with the frsky unplugged assuming I would just get zero values but still work.....
Pics
Attachments
20140815_093107.jpg
20140815_093049.jpg
redline

Post by redline »

just tried it with frsky plugged back in with both orientations of the TX-RX plugs and also with the TEZ>r89 on and off.
No difference.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Your wiring in the pictures looks correct, I just opend up my Tx with the TEZ board in it to compare.
You should get the THR and AIL switches working whether the telemetry is connected or not.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
redline

Post by redline »

Yer thats what I was thinking. Ok next testing to see if the tez is working. Suggestions ?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You said you were testing while powered from the USBASP. Do you have the USBASP still connected while testing? If so, please disconnect it and try again.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
redline

Post by redline »

nope disconnected it when i switched to battery power.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't know if this was already asked, but are you able to flash the T-EZ board?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
redline

Post by redline »

Nope I tried the automated too that does it when u plug it in and it detects the usbasp but not the telemetrez
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Wait, what? Can you describe that a bit differently? What happens, exactly, when you try to flash the TelemetrEZ with the automated tool? Maybe detail your steps precisely so we know exactly what you're doing and seeing.
redline

Post by redline »

I run the tool. It says waiting for usbasp or whatever. Plug it in (with the tEZ plugged in and it gives the same error as it does when the tEZ isnt connected to it.
Does that make sense ?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

UsbAsp Driver problem?
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
redline

Post by redline »

Flashes er9x and open tx fine. Probly done it about a dozen times in the last few weeks
Is there another way to flash the tEZ that would give more error feedback ?
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Please... again:
s_mack wrote:What happens, exactly, when you try to flash the TelemetrEZ with the automated tool? Maybe detail your steps precisely so we know exactly what you're doing and seeing.
redline

Post by redline »

sorry was not at my pc before .... stepping through it right now:
1. Attach usbasp ribbon cable to header on the tEZ (honestly I dont know which way it goes. I aligned the red edge of the ribbon cable AWAY from the arrow on the tEZ header. (see pics))
2. Run t1634programmer. It sits waiting saying "USBASP not detected(is it plugged in?)"
3. Plug in USB. t1634programmer tool changes to "Connect the target". red light on usbasp blinks once every second but nothing else happens.
4. I then repeated the process with the miso-mosi plug and frsky plug removed from the tEZ to make sure things were not interfering there. No change.

Finally I repeated the 4 steps with the ribbon cable the other way around on the tEZ header (Red edge of cable on end of header that has the arrow) Results no difference.
Attachments
20140816_145255.jpg
20140816_145130.jpg
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Hi guys, i have the latest er9x firmware version and the latest (v86) stable telemeteEZ firmware. The point is when i turn the TelemetrEZ to on, in hardware menu, the throttle and aileron switches get irresponsive. If i deselect it then everything stays well. Can anybody give me a hand?
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The latest firmware for the TelemetrEZ is r90. The option in the latest (r813) firmware is to select if the TelemetrEZ firmware is later than r89.

r90 is the first firmware for the TelemetrEZ that supports the SPort data from a XJT module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Mike, are you saying that (provided they have r89), TelemetrEZ/ER9x users no longer require the "-FRSKY" variant? Its simply something they select in firmware now?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, at least not for the MEGA64. The '128 and '2561 versions allow choosing whether the THR and AIL switches have been moved.

The r90 TEZ firmware talks to the main processor at 57600 baud, to allow for the higher speed of the SPort data. The setting indicates this to the er9x firmware. The firmware also sends information back to the TEZ board to indicate whether the connected module is running hub data (at 9600) or SPort data (at 57600), the TEZ then sets the baudrate to the module as required, and processes the data correctly for the different protocols. It always communicates at 57600 to the main processor.

Before r90 the TEZ only worked at 9600 baud, on both ports, and only handled hub protocol.

I hope this is clear, ask again if not.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Gotcha, thanks Mike. So then back to this guy's post:
GajiraChongChong wrote:Hi guys, i have the latest er9x firmware version and the latest (v86) stable telemeteEZ firmware. The point is when i turn the TelemetrEZ to on, in hardware menu, the throttle and aileron switches get irresponsive. If i deselect it then everything stays well. Can anybody give me a hand?
I think there's an excellent chance you haven't loaded the appropriate firmware to your 9x. You must have the er9x-frsky firmware variant or you will get those switch errors.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

I have er9x-frsky r813 version (MOD: FRSKY NT), now with TEZ r90 and now, even if i deselect it in hardware menu, the switches keep staying highlited and irresponsive. :(
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

s_mack wrote:Gotcha, thanks Mike. So then back to this guy's post:
GajiraChongChong wrote:Hi guys, i have the latest er9x firmware version and the latest (v86) stable telemeteEZ firmware. The point is when i turn the TelemetrEZ to on, in hardware menu, the throttle and aileron switches get irresponsive. If i deselect it then everything stays well. Can anybody give me a hand?
I think there's an excellent chance you haven't loaded the appropriate firmware to your 9x. You must have the er9x-frsky firmware variant or you will get those switch errors.
I have er9x - r813/ version 1.272 - Mike, with the r90 telemetrEZ firmware.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If the flashing of the r90 for the TEZ is OK, then this should now work.
I understand the switches did work when you had r86 on the TEZ and the TEZ > r89 option turned off.

To check the flashing is working correctly, could you put r86 back on the TEZ and check to see if the switches then work (with TEZ > r89 option turned off).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”