Problems with FrSky DHT install

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
Oddshot

Re: Problems with FrSky DHT install

Post by Oddshot »

OK, bedtime, for me... and this issue... for now!

Due to the kindness and camaraderie of ShowMaster (and the others here) I have decided to stay Open for as long as I can... wait for the Taranis (like everyone else, except Horus... I mean, João) and make fly with what I got.

Also, I ordered a new DHT from Aloft Hobbies to find out if indeed my module is bad or I am an awful mod-er... so expect to see more postings from me next weekend or so :)

Have a Great Week All!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You will fix it. most of the people do.. ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Yup. We don't give up here. :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Great news! Hate to lose a 9x'er!
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

BTW,
The metal V on the switchboard can be removed if you haven't yet. It'll make more room and is left over from the days of needing a counterpoise (ground plane) for the long non 2.4g frequencies like 72mhz here in the USA.
If you're only going to use 2.4g remove it and use the space for the DHT DIY module.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I'm pretty sure my DHTs give 1 quick beep at power on, when in 2 way mode. I don't use 1 way or firmware upgrade much, but I don't remember a beep in those modes. I will check when I get home to be sure.
-Gohst
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Some great tips guys!

So, when I get the new DHT (Aloft Hobbies has it on the way today), I will re-install without the "metal V" (thanks SM), that will definitely make the install easier... and I imagine I will also never need (before the Taranis comes out) the 1 way or FW positions on the switch, so maybe I can hard-wire it to always be 2-way (good idea Jhsa)?

And, yeah, if I can confirm with you all (thanks for checking gohstb) what I should expect to hear and see when I power on with BIND depressed or not, that would be helpful... it seems different people get different things... so is that a radio firmware thing or a DHT/DJT firmware thing?

Pretty sure that if I chose the Futaba (maybe it should be Phooeytaba) route, I wouldn't get quite the same Esprit de Coup as you guys have here... honestly, you guys are a great bunch of geeks (written with the utmost respect by a wannabe)... I hope one day I can count myself amongst you all, if only to be as helpful to others.

Cheers!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

As far as I know you can even remove the big 3 position switch.. then it will be always in 2 way mode.. make sure you isolate the wires well to avoid shorts if you do..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

That's correct.

I always used to do that on my ones when I used the hack module.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Ok... as Showmaster already knows, I ordered a new DHT (not wanting to hassle with HK over $20)... it got to me within a week, a week ago, but only today had time to install.

Install went well and it fits better with the ground 'V' removed.

SP 2.4 and TelemetrEZ are also installed.

This time I have gone with OpenTX FW, but I still get the THR and AIL switch ALERT at start-up... however, it goes away if I wait 15 seconds or so and then the switches seem to function normally...

...also, the LED still oscillates rapidly between red and green giving the appearance that it is a flashing orange. It is not a steady red light like others I have seen posted.

There is also a single beep at start-up.

The difference with this install is that it will go into bind mode, but instead of a flashing red, I get beeps and a slower flashing red/green...

...but, it is bound and operates a servo, and I have hooked up the telemetry hub and it seems to be getting the readings from a voltage, vario and temp sensor (although I am having trouble getting the OpenTX settings correct, another thread perhaps).

I just want to know if I should fly this thing with the alerts at start-up? Is this normal? Does it take the TelemetrEZ a number of seconds to send the correct info to the CPU?

???

Thanks Guys!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

There is a firmware update for the tez board that fixes this issue.

No issue to leave is as is!

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

SWEET! Thanks Rob!

Now that is an upcoming update or an available one?

I ask because I just flashed today with OpenTX r2281 and the sp22 and telemetrz boxes ticked.

Cheers!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's an upgrade for the TEZ board itself, so unrelated to openTx or er9x!
Have a look for the big TelemetEZ thread.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Oddshot wrote:SWEET! Thanks Rob!

Now that is an upcoming update or an available one?

I ask because I just flashed today with OpenTX r2281 and the sp22 and telemetrz boxes ticked.

Cheers!
Been available for many months :)

Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Huh... wonder why the Telemetrez I just got new a few weeks ago would not have been flashed with it? Instructions said it had the latest FW, guess not :)
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

...oh and does anyone have the version I should be looking/asking for?

Thanks!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

twills

Post by twills »

Hi Everyone,

I've just put the 2 Way DIY module in my 9x along with SP 2.4 board. I'm not using the TelemetrEZ, but have opted for the Sparkfun RS232 level converter for communication with the FRSky module. The mod looks o.k. 9x firmware upload o.k., screen displays all the right things etc. but I appear to be having almost exactly the same issues as Oddshot.

The symptons appear the same ie. flashing orange and green flashing light with a beep every second from the tx module and a green and flashing red light on the RX, but an inability to bind.

I've had a look inside the 9x case while switched on (and everything connected) and the level converter appears to be doing it's job (or half of it's job) as there appears to be traffic only in on direction (continuously flickering LED).

I'm be following this thread closely (and waiting to hear the result of Oddshot's new module :) )and in the meantime if anyone has a similar issue or suggestions not already covered, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
twills
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

His new module arrived a while back and all is well with it. Look up the thread a few posts back. :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Please tell us how you are doing the binding.. Also what receiver are you using?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

@ twills,

First, these other guys here are way more qualified to answer/assist, but just to confirm what Flaps30 wrote (and sorry I should have reported back to this thread), I did get my radio functioning with a new DHT module, but it still flashes 'orangy' when on, and only flashes 'red' and more slowly with a beep in bind mode.... also the lights on my Rx do something different than in the instructions, however, everything works great and I have had a number of flights with it all installed, the range is MUCH greater than the stock module which is a welcome plus :)

I never did find out what the deal was with the other module, I don't have the equipment/gumption to test it... maybe one day if I run across a more technically capable RC'er in a lab coat, I will ask them to test it... till then, for me it is still a mystery.

If you have any questions about my trials/tribulations with this, please feel free to PM me and I will tell you what I can.

Good Luck and stick with it, it'll be worth it! :)
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

twills,
If you connected the ground on your level converter to the main board and the module, disconnect one of the grounds. If both are connected it might cause a ground loop and create noise. I remember when I did the original mod on mine this made a problem.
-Gohst
twills

Post by twills »

Guys - an enormous thank you - I have success!

So I went through the standard binding procedure with my D8R-II Plus receiver.

It turns out that when it is bound, the led on the transmitter does flash orange. On the D8R-II Plus, the green LED lights dimly and I mean dimly - it is practically invisible.

Incidentally, I was able to get to this stage (with both TX and RX LEDs flashing on the level converter) by taking the ground and +5V for the level converter from the TX and not from the FrSky module (as I had originally done) so I'm guessing it's the ground loop issue as described by Gohst.

Once again, many thanks for the help and happy landings!
twills
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

When binding or setting failsafe be careful of holding the bind button too long. You can accidentally put the RX in the high rate digital servo mode.
Read the RX info for the exact condition setup.
This mode is confusing because of the digital statement. If your servos are still considered analogue this mode will work but the servos will skip around, buzz a lot, and eventually burn up!
To sum up,
The bind button does 3 things depending on when and how long you hold it in.
1) bind
2) set failsafe
3) set high speed ppm mode for special servos only. Mainly Heli high speed special digital tail rotor servos. In this mode all channels seem to be modified.

I just repaired a system that also had this mode turned on and the complaint was jittery and stuttering servos. A rebind cleared that all up.
Everyone feel free to add or correct my post to make it factual if I'm in error.
SM
blamez

Post by blamez »

HI!
yesterday i purchased a mx12 with the dht. i put the switch in one position and everything works as it should. then in hold down the bind button on the v8r7 and both lights come on and does not bind. what do i do to bind it? please help and thanks!!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is it a V8R7 or a V8R7-II?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”