convert Mavlink (APM & MPNG) to Frsky

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
juliogdiana

Re: convert Mavlink (APM & MPNG) to Frsky

Post by juliogdiana »

LTMNO wrote:HI Juliogdiana,

It should be the Digital Pin 5 and Pin 6 labelled 5 and 6 on the left side of this image.

Hope that helps.
Thank you LTMNO, works great for 5 times, now doesn`t show nothing on my display, I will try reflashed it again.

Thanks

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

hmm strange that it doesn't work anymore... perhaps something shorted? corrupted the program?
I have the original IOBoard and have never had the issue.

All the best!
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
j0bro

Post by j0bro »

sneezy wrote:Looks like I monologuing on this thread a bit :)

I did a flight test today with a newly completed custom built quad and the Arduino mini IO-board with the MavLink to FrSky firmware V0.5, and took a photo of the Taranis telemetry screen for info.
Before I mention that though I did have a win with the reset issue. I increased the Telem_delay parameter via the Mission Planner from 0 to 10 seconds as suggested by Bo, and that seemed to have helped today as I had the telemetry reading OK without any reset. What this probably means is the IO-board firmware needs some work to handle bad or incomplete data frames at start up.

Moving on. Now that I'm paying more attention to the actual data values being displayed by the Taranis I see that only about half the data values match what they are supposed to measure.

T1 doesn't change with flight mode, or seem to change at all AFAIK.
T2 is nonsense, or I'm in 9D fix mode on the GPS :)
Hdg (Heading) is spot on correct
Alt is right most of the time but flickers to crazy values occasionally.
Cell could be right.
Cells is off the planet, it had a 3S pack attached, and the MP reads the real battery volts fine when plugged in.
Curr and Cnsp read nothing at all but for a random flash of something too big once in a while (when taking the photo the Quad was spooled up on the ground at about 20% throttle). Amps reads fine in the MP.
Fuel reading might actually be right, it does read 99 when I plug in a fresh charged pack.
RPM (down the bottom strip) reads about 1500 when Disarmed and about 3000 when the APM is Armed.
Power reads 0 (if Curr reads 0 then that's expected).
Speed may be OK as the Quad was stationary.

Does anyone with a Taranis get better results than this ?
Hoping it's just something I've not setup right and the firmware is better for other people.
Martin
MS209858.JPG
Hi, thanks for sharing this info! I am atm busy trying to get telemetry working over OpenLRSng to achieve something like this: APM -> jDrones IO-Board -> OpenLRSng RX -> OpenLRSng TX -> Taranis. I assume you use a standard FrSky RX right? My guess was that since OpenLRSng can transport telemetry in several forms, there should be a combination possible where the APM outputs telemetry directly to the RX (or via the intermediate jDrones IO-Board to get the FrSky HUB protocol). This would enable an LRS setup without the need for 3DR radios for telemetry and the added option of getting spoken messages via the Taranis.

Here's a link to a picture of my current setup: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=3507 although not working (yet). Do you think I should also take a look at the TELEM_DELAY parameter to get things working? Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.
Lioon

Post by Lioon »

Hi, I am wondering why my radio shows cell voltage for 4 cells although my battery is only a 3 cell lipo. See photo below. My Setup: er9x, TelemetrEZ, D8R-XP, IOBoard. The total voltage is correct, as the second photo shows, only the cell voltage is wrong because "the system" (which part of it?) thinks that I use a 4 cell lipo.
[thumbnail]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-af3H ... 014400.jpg[/thumbnail]
[thumbnail]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ir-Z ... 014404.jpg[/thumbnail]
Any idea?
All the best, Markus
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You have 4 cells showing, each of about 3 volts and a total of about 12 volts, looks correct to me! I would say that 3 volts for each cell is rather low.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Lioon

Post by Lioon »

MikeB wrote:You have 4 cells showing, each of about 3 volts and a total of about 12 volts, looks correct to me! I would say that 3 volts for each cell is rather low.
Mike.
3 volts for each cell would be very low indeed, if there were 4 cells. But my battery is a healthy and full 3 cell lipo.
Markus
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What is the IO Board doing? You clearly are not using a FrSky LIPO sensor. I believe the er9x firmware is working correctly, and the Ctot value displayed is obtained by adding the individual cell voltages together, so they are what is being sent to the receiver.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Lioon

Post by Lioon »

In my setup the IOBoard just translates the Arducopter telemetry to the FrSky protocoll. Information about the IOBoard I use here and here. I don't use a FrSky LIPO sensor. I made a simple voltage divider for the APM which measures the voltage quite exactly. But that self built voltage divider does not know nothing about how much cells are connected. Nor does it the APM nor the IOBoard, I suppose.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

On the first link it mentions "Cell volt (avg)", so I don't think it is returning individual cell voltages properly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

I have a similar setup. When I use an APM. I use frsky sensor for volts and IOBoard for all other APM info. Seems silly but I get accurate volt/amp readings this way. I read somewhere that yani Did said the cell count and readings were just for show. Simple calculation. Not actual. I will try to find that post on diydrones.
Lioon

Post by Lioon »

Okay, that doesn't sound very good. But nonetheless my Ctot value seems correct. I just connected a 4 cell battery and it showed 16.6 volts (same value as my voltmeter). Then I switched back to 3S and Ctot showed the correct voltage also. So it seems that Ctot is always okay, but V1...6 sometimes not. Strange...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I guess the developer of the ioboard code wanted to use Ctot to display the voltage info, but as this is calculated by the radio from all received cells he had no choice but to put dummy info in the cells (probably measured voltage / 4 for each...)
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Kilrah wrote:I guess the developer of the ioboard code wanted to use Ctot to display the voltage info, but as this is calculated by the radio from all received cells he had no choice but to put dummy info in the cells (probably measured voltage / 4 for each...)
That is correct, he took the total voltage divided by the cell count.
mmib

Post by mmib »

Did small patch to show correct current for Arducopter 3.1.3
http://www.ex.ua/969926989353
Heading still not working, investigating...
DaniSi

Post by DaniSi »

Works this with a FrSky DJT and D8R-IIplus module?
thatjoshguy

Post by thatjoshguy »

Hello all, hopefully someone can assist me with this. I recently purchased an Arduino Pro Mini clone and am in the process of setting this up. I am using Turnigy 9x with TelemetryEZ mod and latest OpenTX firmware with the EZ option selected. My flight controller is a Crius V2, running the latest beta of MPNG. TX module is FRSKY DJT and receiver is FRSKY D8R-XP.

On the 9x, I can see the signal strength from the FRSKY, so that part is good. Based on what I have read here, I have connected the Arduino RX/TX to port S3 TX/RX on the Crius V2. I then connected ports D5 and D6 to the TX/RX of port A2 on the FRSKY receiver. Didn't seem to get any data on the 9x telemetry screens, so I tried it on the digital data-stream port and still had no data. Tried swapping RX/TX's around on both ends and still no change.

I'm quite new to Arduinos in general, so I'm not even entirely sure I have the software flashed correctly. I used a USB-FTDI dongle to upload the HEX file, but I'm not sure how to verify it's actually working? The red light is blinking when the mini is powered. If I open the serial console I occasionally see some garbled text.

What settings should I be using on the 9x? Should I use HUB protocol or none?

Also, a side question - IF I can get this working, would it also be possible to use the mini to control status LEDs such as GPS lock and arming? Maybe a buzzer?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Got it working finally, and I can see some values on the 9x. heading is spot on, GPS LAT/LON is good, but I'm not sure about anything else? None of these numbers make sense
sneezy

Post by sneezy »

mmib wrote:Did small patch to show correct current for Arducopter 3.1.3
http://www.ex.ua/969926989353
Heading still not working, investigating...
I tried to get this patched file but the link or file is missing or wrong.

If mmib is still around, what did you change in your patch ?
sneezy

Post by sneezy »

I gather from a quick look around that the source code has not changed in a year, and the bugs we had a year ago are still the same bugs ?

I had moved on to using a 3DR Pixhawk instead of APM 2.6, and the internal Frsky protocol conversion in that works very well, a pleasure to use.
However I have put the old APM in a plane now (instead of multicopter) and now I'm running the Arduino Mini Frsky converter in that.
Has anyone seen a fork or alternative code for Mavlink-Frsky conversion for D8 series receivers we can use that works fully ?

Martin
sneezy

Post by sneezy »

thatjoshguy wrote:
What settings should I be using on the 9x? Should I use HUB protocol or none?

EDIT: Got it working finally, and I can see some values on the 9x. heading is spot on, GPS LAT/LON is good, but I'm not sure about anything else? None of these numbers make sense
I think I've tried both, and not got everything to work like I'd expect. Which way did you settle on ?
Martin
thatjoshguy

Post by thatjoshguy »

I settled on using the 3dr telemetry radios and Droidplanner 2 on my android phone. This just wasn't ready for prime time yet.
laflaf3d

Post by laflaf3d »

Hi,

do think this project work on a CRIUS AIOP V2 (with AIOPIO) on MegaPirate 3.1.5-R2 ? This should be great ! :D
zidlov

Post by zidlov »

Am using the telemetry converter successfully since about almost a year on my small mini-quad. I didn't use it for a while and when I reactivated it lately, I noticed that the telemetry on my Taranis doesn't show up anymore. Checked cabling but it seems ok. The only number I get on the telemetry screen is a2 which is showing something around 563 or so. Very strange. The Pro Mini LED is constantly red, don't remember how it used to be when it worked or how it should be.
Anyone has any idea what could be wrong? Someone in this thread mentioned he had the same issue. Could it get resolved somehow?
Vorona

Post by Vorona »

Lioon wrote:Hi, I am wondering why my radio shows cell voltage for 4 cells although my battery is only a 3 cell lipo. See photo below. My Setup: er9x, TelemetrEZ, D8R-XP, IOBoard. The total voltage is correct, as the second photo shows, only the cell voltage is wrong because "the system" (which part of it?) thinks that I use a 4 cell lipo.
[thumbnail]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-af3H ... 014400.jpg[/thumbnail]
[thumbnail]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ir-Z ... 014404.jpg[/thumbnail]
Any idea?
All the best, Markus
Hi! I am beginner in ardupilot. I have reciever d8r-ii plus (I see, that it can become to d8r-xp with firmware). In your post I see, that your have connected APM to d-series reciever. What I need for connect D8R with HKPilot 2.7 Mega?
laflaf3d

Post by laflaf3d »

Hi,

after many many try I succeed to make it work but it's strange. T1 is alway 0 and fuel always 65535.
Heading works, accel xyz and gps too. RPM is 0 when disarmed and strange but linear value when armed.

Hardware:
Crius AIOP V2 with AIOPIO board + GPS NEO6M + external compass
arduino pro mini
receiver D8R-II
Radio : Taranis Plus

Software:
megapirate 3.1.5RC2
jd-io v0.5

To make it work I had to use port COM 2 (TX2 and RX2) on the AIOPIO board. I had to add wire beetween receiver and arduino ground. I added TELEM_DELAI (I put it to 10).

Sometime the data freeze (maybe due to faulty connection with my breadboard) and I searched in every data to have the flight mode ... but no success.
SK1701

Post by SK1701 »

I know this is a really old thread but I'll bump it up because I'm having some trouble with this. The hardware I am using is:

Taranis X9D Plus with OpenTx 2.1.8
D8R-II receiver
APM 2.8 running Arducopter 3.2.1
Arduino Pro Mini 3.3V 8MHz (also tried with a Nano) running the MAVLINK to FrSky firmware from here: http://vizual54.github.io/APM-Mavlink-to-FrSky/

I am tapping into the UART0 data using the pads at the bottom of my telemetry air module. Rx on the telemetry module to Rx on the Arduino (since both need to be receiving data from Tx on the APM). I also tapped 5V and GND from the telemetry module to power the Arduino. Pins D5 and D6 go to the telemetry port on the D8R receiver.

When I select "Discover new sensors" on the Taranis, a bunch of new sensors appear but they all show only 0 and the values do not change whatever I do. Also, for some reason when the Arduino is connected the red LED on the telemetry module goes out and I can no longer connect to the ground station.

I would really appreciate some help to solve this problem.
lucbon

Post by lucbon »

I cant upload the code to the arduino pro mini, the arduino ide software tell's that the 'Serial2 Was not declared at this scope'. I'm using the Arduino IDE 1.8.1. It's correct the code? Anyone has the same problem? can you help me?. Thanks.

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”