eePe Announcements

How to use eePe
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: eePe Announcements

Post by MikeB »

I've tried to cross compile for linux, but I'm getting a missing file (e32std.h). Is there anyone out there running linux and QTcreator who can do a build to see if they can get it to work. Also for the MAC.
I don't know what version of QT Erazz was using for builds, I think I have 4.7.3.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I have been compiling eepe from the source on ubuntu. I have no idea about qt creator. I just installed the dependancies till it compiled. I'll try to compile the latest when i get home tonight., and report back.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Which compiler are you using?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No great surprise, I couldn't get lubuntu running in a Windows virtual machine, but I have now go it running in a copy of VirtualBox. Now, I'll probably have to get QTcreator installed in it, then I might be able to at least build the linux versions of eepe and eepskye.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I used the Linux build instructions from here.
https://code.google.com/p/eepe/

I am now running version 366. Here is one line from the build process which shows the compiler as g++ .

Code: Select all

g++ -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_WEBKIT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I. -o mdichild.o mdichild.cpp
the manpage for g++ says
g++ is a program
that calls GCC and treats .c, .h and .i files as C++ source files
instead of C source files unless -x is used, and automatically
specifies linking against the C++ library.
To get an insight into ?erez's? build process I looked at the ./domake script in the root directory. That looks like it would compile all versions of the program, and package them up appropriately. the ./make.log file in the same directory gives insight into his build environment directory structure. He was compiling the windows version on linux using a cross compiler, but accessing the QT library thru a wine ( http://www.winehq.org/ )drive. I couldnt run the ./domake script as I do not have the same build environment directory structure.

There probably is enough information in the ./domake script so that I could build the packaged linux version ( .deb ) . I had initially used the .deb but IIR there was no dependency checking being utilized in the package so I just started using the svn. By looking at the ./domake script now it appears there is some dependancy checking going on now. So either my memory is wrong ( happens a lot :) ) or else dependancy checking has been added to the .deb in the last year.

Let me know if I can be of more assistance. I hope things are well with Erez.

update. I just saw your post. I was unable to compile the eepesky but didnt check into it to well. I can follow up on this if needed
Last edited by rperkins on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

looks like rev 361 was the last version built using the domake script
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

concerning eepskye:
after I changed the slashes in helpers.h

rperkins@htpc ~/src/eepe-read-only/src/eepskye/src $ svn diff
Index: helpers.h
===================================================================
--- helpers.h	(revision 366)
+++ helpers.h	(working copy)
@@ -1,3 +1,3 @@
 #define SKY 1
-#include "..\..\helpers.h"
+#include "../../helpers.h"
I got stuck here.

g++ -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_WEBKIT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I. -o mainwindow.o mainwindow.cpp
mainwindow.cpp: In member function ‘void MainWindow::reply2Finished(QNetworkReply*)’:
mainwindow.cpp:380:13: warning: unused variable ‘rev’ [-Wunused-variable]
mainwindow.cpp: In member function ‘QStringList MainWindow::GetSambaArguments(const QString&)’:
mainwindow.cpp:558:33: error: ‘unlink’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [mainwindow.o] Error 1
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've downloaded and installed QtCreator in the Linux VirtualBox. Unfortunately, it is V5.0.2, and it looks like they have changed the directory structure of all the QT includes.
Currently a total failure to build.
I think I need to find a copy of QT4.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

HI
yes it is the 4.8.3 version of the libraries on my machine.
No I dont have QT creator installed.

I believe it is just the development libraries that are required to compile the program. I took a quick look and QT creator looks like an IDE to develop qt applicatons on linux. Ubuntu breaks qt down into smaller sized packages. This is every package that has qt in the name installed on my computer. Most of these are not needed to compile eepe.

rperkins@htpc ~ $ dpkg-query -W -f='${Status}\t${binary:Package}\t${Version}\t\n' '*qt*' | grep ^install
install ok installed	libaccounts-qt1	1.2-0ubuntu2	
install ok installed	libdbusmenu-qt2:amd64	0.9.2-0ubuntu3	
install ok installed	libntrack-qt4-1	016-1.1	
install ok installed	libpolkit-qt-1-1	0.103.0-1build1	
install ok installed	libqt4-dbus:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-declarative:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-designer:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-dev	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-dev-bin	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-help:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-network:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-opengl:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-opengl-dev	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-qt3support:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-script:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-scripttools:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-sql:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-sql-mysql:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-sql-sqlite:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-svg:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-test:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-xml:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqt4-xmlpatterns:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqtassistantclient4:amd64	4.6.3-4	
install ok installed	libqtcore4:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqtgui4:amd64	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	libqtwebkit-dev	2.2.1-4ubuntu1	
install ok installed	libqtwebkit4:amd64	2.2.1-4ubuntu1	
install ok installed	libsignon-qt1	8.43-0ubuntu1	
install ok installed	python-qt4	4.9.3-4	
install ok installed	python-qt4-dbus	4.9.3-4	
install ok installed	python3-dbus.mainloop.qt	4.9.3-4	
install ok installed	python3-pyqt4	4.9.3-4	
install ok installed	qt-at-spi:amd64	0.3.1-0ubuntu1	
install ok installed	qt4-linguist-tools	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	qt4-qmake	4:4.8.3+dfsg-0ubuntu3.1	
install ok installed	sni-qt:amd64	0.2.6-0ubuntu1

Step 2 of the Linux Build Instructions located at https://code.google.com/p/eepe/ only list these requirements. There might be one or 2 library dependencies that become aware when you try to compile :), but I cant remember in this specific case. I am getting ready to wipe my system to install the latest ubuntu this weekend. If you want to know the exact requirements from a virgin system , let me know and I will write it up.
Next type 'sudo apt-get install subversion build-essential libqt4-dev libqt4-network'. Select yes when it asks. This makes sure you have all of the tools and packages that are required.

I also was able to generate a .deb for the latest Eepe. I used the ./domake script in the root directory of the Eepe source tree. I commented out all the windows stuff and had to manually add 2 subdir's. I use a 64 bit system and only the 64 bit .deb compiled. I probably am missing some 32 bit libraries in order to compile the 32 bit version. When I tried to install it , there were dependency issues with ubuntu based mint. Like I said I'm going to dump mint and go back to ubuntu, try it again. just another unity hater here :)
The .deb still struggles with basically some variations of the issues raised here. http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... eepe#p1563
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Well I managed to cobble some include directories together, and copy QtGui across from windows (with some edits) and I have managed to build a 32-bit linux copy of eepe from within QtCreator. I'm using the same source file directory I use for windows as a folder in Linux. I just have a problem in that windows and Linux conflict over the ui_xxxx.h files. They should be in different directories, but end in the same one and don't get removed on a make clean.

Still, it looks like I might be able to build and package Linux versions of eepe AND eepskye.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I might need a little help with the Linux version of eepe. I can get it to build, I've had to copy the source files to a second directory as the Linux version of QT is more recent than the windows one I've been using.
I now have a problem when I run it. It runs, but I have lots of OpenGL errors and none of the toolbar icons display. Now this may be because I tried to save some time by downloading and installing lubuntu (12-10) a "lite" version of ubuntu. I'm running it in a copy of VirtualBox.

Indeed the whole display looks rather "flat", no 3D objects, so maybe I need an update to OpenGL.
I've not actually used Linux before, just need a few pointers.

Here is the executable I created, it would be interesting to know if others do get the icons displayed.
eepe.zip
21stMay 22:32 BST
(793.64 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Maybe I'll need to download and install a complete version.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

It could be that openGL isn't running in the virtual machine?
-Gohst
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

It didnt work for me. see last line for error.

When I saw this I was thinking this is no way close to how I compile eepe.
Well I managed to cobble some include directories together, and copy QtGui across from windows
to compile eepe I used the directions halfway down the page @ https://code.google.com/p/eepe/

353  mkdir eepe_bin_mikeb
  354  cd eepe_bin_mikeb/
  356  mv ~/Downloads/eepe.zip .
  357  unzip eepe.zip 
  358  ls
  359  ls -l
  360  chmod +x eepe
  362  history
rperkins@htpc:~/src/eepe_bin_mikeb$ ./eepe 
./eepe: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5PrintSupport.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I was able to update the svn version of eepe to version 368 and compile it using these commands. I already have the qt libraries installed by following the instructions linked to above. I didnt see any 3d wierdness. It looked fine at a casual glance

371  svn up
  373  cd src/
  374  make clean
  375  qmake
  376  make
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Any quick hints to determine if OpenGL is running?
If it is not running, what steps needed to get it running?

Preseumably, as I used version 5 of Qt to build, then there are some shared libraries (dlls to me! I think) that will be needed as well as the executable. I could hunt this all up on the web, but it may be quicker to ask. What are DLLs called under Linux? Is that the .so?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Right, the .so are the dynamic libraries under linux. If you use the ldd command on your executable, you will know which libraries will be needed!

I am afraid you are compiling with Qt version 5.x, while the users are under Qt 4.8!

FYI, companion9x .rpm (for RedHat/Mandrake distribs) and .deb (for Debian/Ubuntu distribs) link against Qt 4.8

Bertrand.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

For the OpenGL problem, did you try to execute eepe with the args "-graphicssystem opengl" to force it?
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I think the .so file are equivalent to .dll. You can find them in the package manager (synaptic on lubuntu) by searching for libqt5. You should get a long list of available packages that contain to .so files. I downloaded and installed lubuntu 13.04 (I know, didn't look at what version I was getting). I got your eepe file to run, by installing the packages that seemed to be needed. I don't remember the entire list. I remember these libqt5printsupport, libqt5network5, and libqt5xml5. I check (by running an open gl screen saver) that opengl things are running but not with acceleration. And finally when running eepe, I don't have any icons either.
-Gohst
Attachments
snapshot2.png
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I didn't seem to be able to find QT 4.8 to download, I'll try the args.
Just installed glxinfo, but this crashes the VirtualBox!

Tried the args, no difference! I used properties, and created a custom command line with them on.

Thanks gohsthb, I'll look further for the icons then!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Here on VMware, I disable the OpenGL, as there are bugs remaining!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

gohsthb wrote:I think the .so file are equivalent to .dll. ..<snip>..I don't remember the entire list. I remember these libqt5printsupport
-Gohst
That is probably what caused my error. Also I am on QT4.xx

The .so extension stands for 'shared object' . so probably
linux -shared object (.so) = windows -dynamically linked library (.dll)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Gohsthb: Did you download libqt5printsupport.so.5? or libqt5printsupport.so.5.0.2? or what?
I can find the files, but it looks like libqt5printsupport.so is a link to libqt5printsupport.so.5.0.2.
Maybe I just need to rename the .5.0.2 files and post them with the eepe file.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

are you planning on posting a binary of eepe ??? going to post a 32 bit and a 64 bit version ?
Will I still be able to compile eepe the normal way as outlined on the eepe web page ?

I think normally when someone wants to add a library into the exec they utilize a process called 'statically linked'. then the library file is inside the executable. I have to admit I am getting confused as to what the goal here is ?
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I downloaded them through the package manager (synaptic) from within the virtual machine. The package manager also installed them for me.
-Gohst
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

rperkins wrote:I have to admit I am getting confused as to what the goal here is ?
Previously, I edited eepe, and Erazz did the build. Under Linux he built a windows version and 32 and 64 bit linux versions. Since Erazz has gone rather "offline", I'm trying to build these myself, but I use windows. When I tried to do a cross-compile for linux, it didn't work. So now I'm trying to build using Linux in a VirtualBox. I thought this would also let me test the linux version, particularly as I'm adding serial download to the Megasound board. That isn't working from Linux either, I don't think the serial port is sending any data, receives OK though.
Complicated by the version of Qt I got for Linux is version 5, while the version I have for windows is 4.7.4.

The main goal is to be able to build windows and Linux versions of eepe when I release a new version.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

MikeB wrote:
rperkins wrote: The main goal is to be able to build windows and Linux versions of eepe when I release a new version.
Mike.
thanks
I'd think you would want to:
1. dump the qt5 in linux or update the build from source instructions of the eepe page to utilize qt5.
2. forget about publishing linux binaries, too many variations to keep up with.
3. Drop the .deb packages or fix them up to standards relating to file locations and proper dependency checking. I previously posted a link to the issues. I think companionx has addressed them, you may want to check out their .deb config files
4. Check into eraz's domake script as to the previous semi working .deb generation as another avenue to generate a .deb

Be sure to keep current linux build from source instruction on the eepe webpage. That is all that is required from a project , IMHO. Debs,rpms, are just icing on the cake. If a user cant compile the program they probably cant utilize a non standard process that requires taking a binary file and moving it into a directory in their path and also copy a shared library into the proper location, both of which require root permissions. Even then you will have multiple issues depending on how old thier linux system is, 32bit,64 bit, on and on and on.

hope this helps and I am sure there are other opinions.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

When I update eepe or companion up to now I just download the deb package I think.. and then just install it..
It is as simple as that.. I'm not a linux literate yet.. I'm not familiar with command line type of thing. So, it would be nice if we could just keep it like that.. If not then I will have to learn how to do it, of course.. me and many others I suppose :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

the .deb of eepe is no longer in sync with the development . It is not being updated. That is one of the issues with the deb of eepe, it does not have version information in the filename.

if you browse the src @ https://code.google.com/p/eepe/source/b ... vn%2Ftrunk
the deb is @ --- r362 Feb 8, 2013 erezraviv

the latest dev version is 368

rperkins@htpc:~/src/eepe-read-only/src$ svn info
Path: .
Working Copy Root Path: /home/rperkins/src/eepe-read-only
URL: http://eepe.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src
Repository Root: http://eepe.googlecode.com/svn
Repository UUID: 9eeb93d8-bee7-963f-4aea-e2c37fe20227
Revision: 368
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: michael.b....co.uk
Last Changed Rev: 368
Last Changed Date: 2013-05-12 11:20:49 -0400 (Sun, 12 May 2013)
I have no idea what changes have been made between 362 and 368
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

MikeB wrote: Complicated by the version of Qt I got for Linux is version 5, while the version I have for windows is 4.7.4.
AFAIK if you follow the linux build instruction on the eePe googlecode page and install the same packages (which include " libqt4-dev libqt4-network") that should install the latest release of qt 4.x, I'd go with that.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll give it a try!
I've been testing the eepe I've built, running under lubuntu in a VirtualBox. The USB-serial is hopeless, it is only sending one byte every 2mS, and this is at 38400 baud. I've tried mapping the windows virtual ports, but they fail even worse.
The only thing is it does seem to send and receive data, it's just too slow for the timeouts I have.
I'd really like to just compile/cross-compile everything in a single "dorelease".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've increased the timeout and the serial update now works, just slowly.
I've also updated the eepe.zip above {http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... =60#p50573}, following a command line make using (hopefully) qt4 libraries. Only a 32-bit version as I installed a 32-bit version of lubuntu.
Please can someone let me know if this loads and runs, thanks.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “eePe”