Receive 9xtreme and Installation

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Receive 9xtreme and Installation

Post by MikeB »

bob195558 wrote:IDo I have the TX and RX marked incorrectly on the 9Xtreme board, see full :?: above: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7718&start=330#p106080). :?:
Your labelling depends on your viewpoint! The 9Xtreme receives data on the signal you have labelled Tx and transmits data on the signal you have labelled Rx, however, the labels are correct for where you connect the wires on the module!
This is a classic problem with serial connections, Tx at one end is Rx at the other.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

KAL

Post by KAL »

I could never understand where this problem comes from ... :)
Or is there anybody who would connect the output of a mp3 player to the output of an amplifier? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Thank you Mike, I will leave things as they are to help keep confusion down.
I have been referring to it as TX Black wire to the module Txd pin,
so to avoid having to referring to the board's proper technical connection name,
in order to help keep long technical complexity :ugeek: / confusion :? down. ;) :)

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

KAL wrote:I could never understand where this problem comes from ... :)
Or is there anybody who would connect the output of a mp3 player to the output of an amplifier? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Klaus
Hi Klaus,
I do not know why, but I have never put it together to think of Rxd and Txd as inputs and outputs.
In the past I just wanted to make the connection correct so that they worked properly.
Which is input and which is output ? :?:

The protocol: PXX sends D-series hub data and S.Port with a bi-directional signal so only needs a single wire connection.
This simplifies the telemetry wire connection for the FrSky S.Port and D-series hub data telemetry.

Bob B.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

KAL wrote:I could never understand where this problem comes from ... :)

Klaus
That's different though. It is a clear one-way thing. The MP3 player is always sending to the amplifier. Even still, the wording is ambiguous if you weren't sure which was the sender and which was the receiver. Does "output" mean output of this device to that one? Or the other device's output to this one? In a transceiver, both devices are sending and receiving and it is then completely ambiguous. Is "tx" the transmission line from this to that, or from that to this? It becomes more so when there's no clear standard of how it *should* be labelled. It is most common to label it from the device's perspective, which would mean you'd connect TX to RX. But I don't believe that is a set in stone standard. Also, that isn't intuitive, especially when you consider "tx" doesn't mean "serial transmit" to everyone. I think most people read that as "transmitter" and incorrectly* identify that term with the 9X itself, or correctly as the module (and I suppose a good deal of people associate it with "Texas"). At the same time, "rx" doesn't mean "serial receive" to everyone and most associate it with the receiver that goes in the model (doesn't it also mean "prescription"?). Aside from that, they are just letters. And from that perspective, I think it is most intuitive to match them up, same as you would if they were colored. That's how I labelled the TelemetrEZ. I wanted it clear where the "tx" pin from the receiver went, so I called it "tx" on the board too. I realized later I caused more confusion with that vs solved confusion so I switched it to be more "normal" for the 9Xtreme.

The good thing is... no harm comes from getting it wrong. It isn't like a battery where getting them reversed is terminal. No talky? Swap and try again.

*we all often refer to the 9X (for example) as the "TX", "transmitter" or "radio" but it is none of these. It is a case with various inputs and outputs and a computer controlling the module. The module is the transmitter/radio.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

bob195558 wrote:Thank you Mike, I will leave things as they are to help keep confusion down.
so to avoid having to referring to the board's proper technical connection name,
in order to help keep long technical complexity :ugeek: / confusion :? down. ;) :)

Bob B.
I believe this means the radio's black wire connects to the module's Txd pin

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Indeed, for serial interfaces, there is a definition of a device being either a DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) or a DCE (Data Communication Equipment = modem). The signal TxD on a DTE is an output, while TxD on a DCE is an input. If connecting a DTE to a DCE, then you connect TxD to TxD and RxD to RxD, but if you connect a DTE to another DTE you have to connect TxD to RxD and RxD to TxD. It's quite simple really, it is confusing :mrgreen:

The electrical standards, V24 or RS232, also define the any interface signal should withstand a permanent short to any other signal without damage.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

jhsa wrote:
bob195558 wrote:Thank you Mike, I will leave things as they are to help keep confusion down.
Bob B.
I believe this means the radio's black wire connects to the module's Txd pin
João
Yes, that's what I mean. Should I be wording it differently to be more clear ? :?:
Maybe something like: 9Xtreme board telemetry TX Black wire to the module Txd pin. :)

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That sounds OK.
As it happens, on the XJT, the SPort signal is in fact bi-directional, data may go in either direction!
It still uses the black wire though!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
KAL

Post by KAL »

I know it's a bit confusing ...

My comment was rather meant with an eye wink ... ;)
(a problem of the written word as well as english not beeing my native tongue :oops: )

Some time ago I found a little converter board on which the silkscreen is more than clearly I think:
WP_20151124_18_31_16_Pro (Groß).jpg
Such a labelling can make life easier. :D

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
WhyKnot

Post by WhyKnot »

Although there are many problems that can occur, fhis is one that I do not know if I have read about this problem. The female receptors inside the gang connecters (in the pigtails) back out when reinstalling in 9X or 9Xtreme, or the Turnigy board causing a faulty connection. If you look closely and may have had same problem, you will the see the crimped end of the receptor exiting the plug. A small probe will assist in re-connecting or reinserting.
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

Just a report: I have 5 units working without any problems. Two with multiprotocol modules. Wow! do they use power. Current draw on 8 cell nmh 2400mah battery is over 200ma with backlight on and 190 when it goes off with all 4 modules in. Each module only puts out less than 100mw when it is on.
Meunbe

Post by Meunbe »

Hello all, new to the forum.
I'm using a turnigy 9x with 9extreme, frsky DJT module, D4R-ll and V8FR-ll receivers using PPM. Calibrated the sticks. Everything works Great as far as the radio is concerned. Menus, setting up mixes and switches no problem.
My problem is the receivers do not seem to be relaying any information coming from the radio. Will not arm.
I can bind both receivers no problem. I can see that the TX and RX are talking to each other in one of the 9x's screens. I set up my different mixes, I changed my weights in mixer menu for AETR from 100 to 125 to see if that would fix the problem, no dice. It is set up to PPM in the protocol menu, I even changed it to six channel 18 ms. Just in case, because I have not flashed the new timing for the D4R-ll.
I have triple checked my wiring, I opened the case to verify that I had all the plugs for the 9extreme arefully seated.
I can control my quad with clean flight with the master motor switch. But the radio does not show up in CF.
I tried with my spec wing in an elevon mix ( no FC)just battery Straight wired, nothing. Although as far as the receivers are concerned everything is hunky-dory they're bound and waiting for some input. The connectors for the Tx-RX cable did back out on me also, but I just pushed them back in no problem.

Any help greatly appreciated!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

In the Protocol menu check that you didn't set PPM to the internal module instead of the external.. That happened to me..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
whobby

Post by whobby »

Hi,

This is my first post here, so please apologize if i should have opened a new topic instead of posting to this one (sorry @bob195558).

I'm haven't much of a experience with moding, so please be patient with my ignorance.

So las week, i finally got my pre-ordered boards (1x Basic + 1x 9Xtreme). João, you thought yours toke a long time to arrive :).. i know our customs and postal service isn't much of a reference. It's a really nice peace work. Congrats Mike and Steave.

ok, to the point of my post... I've read a lot, here at the forum and also with the instructions posted at the 9Xtreme purchase site, i got it almost installed. I'm now connecting the cables, and got stuck.

My Radio is a FlySky: FS-TH9XB without any modification using the original FlySky TX module.

I can't find place for one of the cables. I've read that none of the cables goes back to the original 9X board (excluding the provided red 12x wire). So, i'm attaching a picture as how i've connected stuff and marked with a red circle at the right lower corner, the cable from the original board that i can't find a place to connect it on the 9Xtreme.
Install_cabe6x_right_corner_where2put-01.jpg
Thank you in advance for your help.
-wm
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hi, welcome to the forum. That connects to the 9x mainboard where it was before..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Unfortunately the only "fully installed" picture on Steven's site precisely crops that out so one can't see the entire setup to be sure...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

See this thread then ;) :)

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7987

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Still, most of coustomers will expect to find all the needed info on the website - and it's nearly there, just a slightly wider photo would do so I believe it's worth doing.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes, of course.. My post shows more than just the 9Xtreme installation..

SmartieParts website should have a larger picture then.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Kilrah wrote:Unfortunately the only "fully installed" picture on Steven's site precisely crops that out so one can't see the entire setup to be sure...
The text and images do detail the connections but certainly if a wider picture helps then I will provide it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Edit: I have updated both the image and text. You can see it on the product page, click on the "Installation Instructions tab" and look for step 8.
whobby

Post by whobby »

jhsa wrote:Yes, of course.. My post shows more than just the 9Xtreme installation..

SmartieParts website should have a larger picture then.

João
Thanks João. I was afraid to try connecting power without all cables connected. I did look/read your thread, but that one has so many "mods" that i got scared off, sorry.
whobby

Post by whobby »

s_mack wrote:
Kilrah wrote:Unfortunately the only "fully installed" picture on Steven's site precisely crops that out so one can't see the entire setup to be sure...
The text and images do detail the connections but certainly if a wider picture helps then I will provide it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Edit: I have updated both the image and text. You can see it on the product page, click on the "Installation Instructions tab" and look for step 8.

Very appreciated the update. Now it's much clearer, you can see all connections, plus the observation about the right 5-pin staying on the original board solves the mystery (mine at least).

On my flysky th9xB, that ribbon is a 6-PIN cable (you can see it at the picture of my earlier post), but if you could check or someone could confirm if this is the same for other 9X also, and you could be so kind and correct the note on the installation page so no one gets confused, searching for a 5-pin harness.

Thank again.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

whobby wrote:
s_mack wrote:

Very appreciated the update. Now it's much clearer, you can see all connections, plus the observation about the right 5-pin staying on the original board solves the mystery (mine at least).

On my flysky th9xB, that ribbon is a 6-PIN cable (you can see it at the picture of my earlier post), but if you could check or someone could confirm if this is the same for other 9X also, and you could be so kind and correct the note on the installation page so no one gets confused, searching for a 5-pin harness.

Thank again.
I'm sure they're all the same and I probably mis-counted. It isn't a cable that was part of the design at all, so perhaps I just assumed it was the same as the other side (like the 9-pin is). I'll double check and update shortly. Thanks for pointing it out.
Meunbe

Post by Meunbe »

jhsa wrote:In the Protocol menu check that you didn't set PPM to the internal module instead of the external.. That happened to me..

João
Thanks for getting back to me. I double checked,it is set to external :? Nothing!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Do you have a buddy box cable (Mono jack plug to jack plug)? If so you may test the PPM output.
1. Remove the Tx module.
2. Power the Tx on.
3. Go to the trainer menu and check the trainer source is set to "Jack".
4. Plug the buddy lead into the jack socket on the back of the radio.
5. Now hold the tip of the jack plug on the other end of the buddy lead on the top pin of the module connector.
6. As you move the sticks, the four numbers at the bottom of the trainer menu should change indicating the PPM output signal is being detected by the trainer input.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Meunbe

Post by Meunbe »

MikeB wrote:Do you have a buddy box cable (Mono jack plug to jack plug)? If so you may test the PPM output.
1. Remove the Tx module.
2. Power the Tx on.
3. Go to the trainer menu and check the trainer source is set to "Jack".
4. Plug the buddy lead into the jack socket on the back of the radio.
5. Now hold the tip of the jack plug on the other end of the buddy lead on the top pin of the module connector.
6. As you move the sticks, the four numbers at the bottom of the trainer menu should change indicating the PPM output signal is being detected by the trainer input.

Mike.
Thanks for the quick response!
I tried the above, can not change source to jack. Or to anything else for that matter. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.
I did try removing the 9extreme and pluging it into a pc. The usb bootloader prompt did appear, on an old pc running WindowsXP. So must be working?
But not on my my up to date chrome book or Mac book.
Thanks
If I remove the 9 extreme, will I be able to use it as a 9x?
Supposed to be going flying tomorrow
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are you using the firmware as it shipped, or have you updated it?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Meunbe

Post by Meunbe »

MikeB wrote:Are you using the firmware as it shipped, or have you updated it?

Mike.
As shipped, I received it about two weeks ago.
Robert
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

whobby wrote:Hi, This is my first post here, so please apologize if i should have opened a new topic instead of posting to this one (sorry @bob195558).
-wm
Hi whobby,
Also Welcome, no apologize (sorry) is needed, happy to be a help to you so to we all enjoy the RC hobby together. :)

Bob B.

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”