Using in 9XR-PRO

BLT

Re: Using in 9XR-PRO

Post by BLT »

João, Could you please provide me a link to the latest version of the ersky9X manual?

Thank you!
jhsa wrote:
BLT wrote: It was in that 2015 manual that I read about the radio setup hardware screen that mentioned FRSky Mod Done.
Ahhhh, you mentioned the "Frsky COM port", not the "Frsky mod done". This is in Er9x not ErSky9x. The 2015 manual, even if it can be used for Ersky9x which is what you use on your radio, it is for radios with Er9x. This is a lighter version of the firmware that runs on radios with AVR processors.. The hardware menu is completely different..

João

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

We use the Er9x manual also for Ersky9x as it is basically the same as far as programming is concerned. Of course, Ersky9x has more options and features than Er9x.
Someone is working on the Ersky9x manual.
I am also doing a video manual that I still didn't have a chance to finish :( will have to come back to that soon..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
gravspeed

Post by gravspeed »

i had the same problem with binding, i did the 220 update and set the appropriate options for dsm2/dsmx and 9xr-dsm and i was able to bind using the bind button on the module during power up.

now if only i could get the correct response from my throttle....
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

To what are you binding?
This module is known to have throttle problems with some BNF models.

You might consider this thread: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8753.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Wimh

Post by Wimh »

gravspeed wrote:i had the same problem with binding, i did the 220 update and set the appropriate options for dsm2/dsmx and 9xr-dsm and i was able to bind using the bind button on the module during power up.

now if only i could get the correct response from my throttle....
Would you mind telling us what these appropriate options are? I have the original orange module for the pro with internal antenna...
Wim
Belgium

Piji

Post by Piji »

Hi All
First can I say thanks to everyone for the useful information on the forum.

Now onto a starnge problem I have with my 9xr pro and the orange telemetry module, I have this set this up with all the settings as advised and have flashed the new firmware and voice packs to the TX, the problem i have encountered is that the module will bind to the first range of DSM2 rxs these being 1024 22ms i also have the telemerty working on these, the problem starts when I try to use the second genertion 2048 11ms rxs these bind but the channels are not correct and the reaction is the same as using these on the earlier protocol( i experienced this with the manually selectable protocol on the non telemetry orange module I had been using before), when I try and bind a dmsx rx the reciever goes through the motion eg blinks and appears to be binding then the light goes out but does not come back on and nothing works as per the highlighted problems of other users, all the rxs used have been tested by binding to my spektrum DX7s both to check they work and to see what frame rate and speed they are using and they all work correctly any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is this the module that uses the internal antenna, or does it have it's own antenna?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piji

Post by Piji »

Hi Mike

Its the module that uses the internal antenna

Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Do you have the protocol set to "DSM2" and the "DSM Type" set to "9XR-DSM"?
If so, are you then using the menu bind option to bind?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piji

Post by Piji »

Hi Mike

I have the protocol set to dsm2 chans 12, dsm type 9xr-dsm and have tried using the trainer switch and bind button on the module, i cant find the bind option from the radio menus since I updated the firmware, prior to the update though this did not put the module into bind. I know the module is supposed to self select depending on the rx but it seems to be stuck in 1024 22ms. Do you think it may be worth re flashing the tx with the latest firmware again though it all appears Ok.

Thanks
Phil
Piji

Post by Piji »

Hi Mike

Just a quick update, I have now found the bind option on the TX by enabling the internal module (not that I have one installed) though this appears to have no effect on the orange telemetry module when i use it the TX says binding but it does not force the module into bind which does not come as a suprise as I assume that it only has an effect on an internal unit.

Phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What revision of firmware are you using?
I recall the bind option being missing at some point, it is present in the latest test version I'm running. I have swapped to using the Multi firmware on my Orange modules.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piji

Post by Piji »

HI Mike
From my Tx screen as follows

versiom V.1760-Mike
date 04.12.2016
time 10:18:39
sun ersky9x-r220
mod REVB-X
Cheers
Phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Make sure in the telemetry menu you have the "Usr Proto" set to "DSM".
This enables the bind response from the module to be seen by the radio.
Then try binding.
If that doesn't work, please go here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676, and download a recent test version.
Backup your EEPROM safely, then flash the test version. You should get the bind option appearing in the menu.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piji

Post by Piji »

Hi Mike

Thanks for the responses, I made a new model and set everything up as advised, have tried a dmsx rx still no joy will try a 2048 11ms tommorow evening to see if this binds up and works ok but I suspect it will not.
I will try using one of the prototype firmwares if no success, when you say back up the eprom am I correct in assuming this is done through eepesky on my PC and not just the contents of the memory card which I have already backed up, ( i did do this on my 9xr but thats over 12 months ago so just making sure before I go and mess things up).
I am starting to think that the module may be faulty and unfortunatly HK are out of stock again so if all else fails I will just end up using this with my older rxs.
Will let you know iether way once I have tried the newer firmware.

Again thanks for the advice its much appreciated

Regards

Phil
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes, use eepskye to download the radio's eeprom to the computer, and then save it..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Piji

Post by Piji »

Hi Guys

I have tried the latest experimental firmware without success in fact the module stopped transmitting at one point even though the prtocol settings were correct, I have returned to the r220 firmware and the results are back to how they were in the begining. I have another wierd thing happening on the telemetry screen I dont just get solid numbers showing there are also numbers in the background that appear randomly as if the unit is getting some form of inteference and my RSSI reading are about 30 though I am using a short range telemetry unit.
I did open up the radio to check for poor soldering or loose connections but could not find any, I am starting to think that the module is faulty though I guess I need to give it a good range check and maybe just use it with the early Rxs if all checks out.

I think the next thing I will do is to buy a telemetry enabled rx for my Fr Sky module and see how that reacts in the 9xr pro, if all works as it should then I guess this points to the orange module or internal antenna.

Many thanks for your efforts and assistance but it looks as though this has me beat for the minute.
Thanks again
Phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The RSSI values when using DSM telemetry range from 0 to 31.

If you are in to experimenting, you might read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8753.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piji

Post by Piji »

Hi Mike
Thanks for the response it would appear on the face of it that the module and telemetry is working fine with the early rxs so I will probably use this in one of my battered sacrificial modules to see if range etc in their is good. I just cant fathom the ghosting on the screen as It wasn't there the first time I used the r 220 firmware maybe its just interference, which is the best Baud rate as I have it set to Auto at the minute and woman wondering if this may be causing the issue.
I have had a quick look at the re flashing of the module just out of interest is it possible to save the original firmware from the module in case you want to go back to factory settings.

Thanks

Phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Saving the existing firmware depends on whether they have "locked" the firmware to make it not readable. In any case, you would need a programmer that supports the PDI programminbg method to be able to read it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piji

Post by Piji »

Hi Mike

I have another update, I decided to go back to my original firmware just to see if this settled down the telemetry screen, I copied everything back to the sd card after first having deleted its content.

I tried one of my 1024 22ms rxs with telemetry and this bound and worked fine, I then decided to try one of my 2048 11ms rxs with a sattelite and to my amasment it bound and worked as it should ( i used Model n03 which I think is one I set up on my old module).

The next thing I did was create a new model from the tx menu and this would not work correctly with the 2048 rx but worked with the 1024.

I then copied the model that was working to a different slot and this works, next i bound a 1024 to it which worked next I checked if I could re bind the 2048 to this slot and again it worked perfectly.

I copied this model set up to a couple of other slots and then altered settings and mixers within these to see if I could make the rx stop working properly but regardless of any alterations the rx works as it should.

I am at a loss as to why it should work like this as I cant find anything in the menus that looks different between the slots that work and the ones that dont.

Have you any idea why this may be the case, just for info the DSMX unit still wont work but at least I seem to have moved forward.

Regards

Phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I know that there is a table of values in the Orange module that is incorrect. This wrong table was being used in the "Deviation" project and was used in the Orange module and in the Multi module. I spotted the error and the table is now correct in the multi module (and Deviation). I'm not certain, but I believe it only affects some settings, and may depend on the unique ID, and possibly the model match number.
I think the Orange receivers may also use the incorrect table!
You could try using different model match numbers to see if it has any effect, although I think I disabled the use of that for patent reasons.

It is possible you can change the unique ID by using one of the buttons on the module, you may need to check with any documentation on the module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piji

Post by Piji »

Hi Mike

You can re assign thr GUID of the module by using the bottom button, I did this a couple of times with no effect, I re checked tonight and both the DSM2 Rxs are still working fine, I a a little bit hesitant to change anything other than the settings in the model just in case everything falls over again though I do have it all backed up so maybe if I pluck up the courage.
Thanks again for all your assistance and I will keep you posted if I find anything out regarding the settings.

Regards

Phil
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

If the bind problem sometimes goes away when you use the module bind button but then losses it. It might be because when you are pressing the bind button it causes the whole module to go a little deeper in the bay and when you let go, the connections to the module are intermittent. This was my problem. To fix it, remove the rear cover, loosen the three screws and slide the board upward as far as possible. The black plastic tab at the bottom is tapered and if the board is lower it holds it in farther. I also installed a small block of nylon servo arm under the connector to raise that corner of the board a bit. No more bind trouble. :D
xrxpercy

Post by xrxpercy »

I have since removed all of the header pins from the transmitter board and reinstalled them with the plastic on the front side of the board, which makes them 2mm longer. Why HK installed the header pins incorrectly is beyond me.

Return to “Orange DSM Telemetry module”