9xR pro intermittent signal loss

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
raycamel

9xR pro intermittent signal loss

Post by raycamel »

Hello!
I am not sure where to post this, but i am having problems losing signal with my 9xR pro, it has a turnigy dsss module and matching receiver, I have two 9xr pros, and about 30 of the 9x8c v2 receivers, and switching the module between my 2 9xr pros and using any of my receivers, i still lose signal intermittently while flying my airplanes, one of my 9xr is 4-5 years old, and my other one is 1 yr old. This is a very frustrating problem, and i have invested so much money, time and effort with these radios, i'm not sure what to do. I really like having a computer radio that i can setup all the switches and buttons to do what i want, but, the signal loss is a real bummer, lost several planes due to no control, it only last for 4-7 seconds, but, thats enough to crash......

do i get another module (which is best, i don't need telemetry or anything, just a reliable signal and control) and reinvest in 30 or 40 new receivers, can i update the software? Not sure what to do... If anyone could advise me, i would be forever grateful,

Rob in Chicago, IL, USA

jhsa

Re: 9xR pro intermittent signal loss

Post by jhsa »

The loss of control is probably caused by the RF module. You'd probably better buying a better one. Try Frsky. A bit more expensive but much more reliable.
Yes, you can (and should) update the radio's firmware, but I think it won't fix that problem. as I said, the problem might be the module.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The Turnigy DSSS module is really just a version of the Flysky AFHDS module, with the connection for the internal antenna. I just tested my prototype DSSS module and did a bind to a 9X8C V2, then I use a multi-protocol module in Flysky Std mode and that also binds and controls servos.

If you only have the one module, and you clearly suspect it may be a problem, consider getting a multi-protocol module. This works with your existing receivers, but will also work with other receivers. With that module you would be able to use FrSky receivers, with all their telemetry, and could consider a FrSky XJT module in the future.

One other thing to check is how long are the pins in the module bay. I recall there was/is a problem with them being rather short, and sometimes not making a good contact with the module. On my prototype 9XR-PRO, they are only 10.5mm long, but on my pre-production radio they are 13.3mm. I seem to recall actually adjusting them by using a soldering iron and pushing them further through the board they are mounted on.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
raycamel

Post by raycamel »

Hello Gents!
Thank you for the info/suggestions, I was looking at getting a 4 in 1 multi-protocol module, there are many available, is there a particular that is favored? or any that i should stay away from? If they can work with the receivers i already have, that would be a super huge bonus. I will measure the length of the pins in my module cavity and report back my findings, I really do greatly appreciate the advise and info. I do like this radio transmitter alot, my first one was a gift from my deceased identical twin brother, so it has meaning to me, and would use it forever if i could,
Thanks chums,

Rob in Chicago

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”