9XR Firmware burn failed

ChrisC81

9XR Firmware burn failed

Post by ChrisC81 »

Hi all,

I have a big problem with my 9XR.

Today i flashed..or wanted to flash my 9XR with open9x with a usbasp like in the Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yDfl7fuSw

Everything went fine exept at the end of the verify part. There was an errormessage that the first byte(s) are not correct. Or somethink like that.
unfortunately i dodnt wrote down the error.

Now my 9xr doesn´t turn on anymore. The display remains off. Only the "ready" is powerd and im not able to flash the 9XR again. There is allways the message
that the target does not answer:

Code: Select all

avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
  avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
             Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
             this check.
I have checked the connections..but there is not much to check.

Did i kill my 9xr? or is there a chance/way to get them back to life?

i removed the r8 resistors on the programmer cause they were 200 Ohms and i tried to burn the firmware
with an arduino programed as a IPS

avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
So i hope someone here is able to help me :)

Thanks a lot for the help in advance.

Chris

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: 9XR Firmware burn failed

Post by Rob Thomson »

Have you tried a different programmer?

The stock HK one that they sell, or the ones on 9xrprogrammers.com should 'just work'

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

ChrisC81 wrote:Hi all,

avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
Chris
I ran into this a couple weeks ago. There have been issues with arduino software updates and arduinoisp. I resolved mine by downloading the latest source of arduino. google and you'll find lots of hits on this. I am using arduino-1.0.3-src.tar.gz

When you get that resolved hopefully that will allow you to reprogram successfully.

Are you sure your device came with 200 ohms. the betemcu.cn units have been shipping with 220 (221 marking) . the reason I ask is that usually they dont work at all which is much better than half programming your mcu, as you have found out. 200 ohms may be just on the edge because the 9x utilizes 200 ohms in the circuits the programming lines are connected to.
ChrisC81

Post by ChrisC81 »

Hi Rob
thanks for your replay.

that one that i have is the same one like that one on "9xrprogrammers.com". If i compare the pictuers with mine. But mine is from ebay.

is it that one from HobbyKing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ssors.html

Maybe i should order one of these, but its not availiable in the german warehouse. So i would take a little bit to get one.

but is it possible to kill the 9xr with the burning of the new Firmware? Maybe there is something wrong with the fusebits...but as far as i know is there no changing of the bits by uploading a new hex file.

mmmh. That sucks..want my great 9xr back :)

Chris
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

ChrisC81 wrote:Hi Rob
that one that i have is the same one like that one on "9xrprogrammers.com". If i compare the pictuers with mine. But mine is from ebay.
Chris
Yes they may be the same piece of hardware but each programmer from 9xrprogrammers.com is verified for 100 ohm limiting resistors, has the firmware replaced with open source firmware from http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/, and is tested.
http://www.9xrprogrammer.com/index.php/learn/27-faq

the ones from ebay probably have 220 ohm resistors on them currently, which is problematic when used in a 9x/9xr application.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Pretty sure yiu have not killed it.

Just need to get the progrsmmer to work :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Chris I sent you a PM
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ChrisC81

Post by ChrisC81 »

it also doesn´t work whit the new arduino versions. 1.03 and the beta version 1.5.2

its allways not in sync
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

hmm. The video shows companionx, but I'm only familiar with eepe. My assumption is companionx configures avrdude similar to eepe.

did you tell companion x that you are using arduino as an isp ?

when checking connectivity to an m8 target the avrdude command line was this.
avrdude -p m8 -c avrisp -b 19200 -P /dev/ttyACM0

so in companionx did you:
specify avrisp?
set the bitrate with the -b option ?

maybe this will help
http://code.google.com/p/mega-isp/wiki/AvrispArduino

What is your OS ?
are you comfortable using avrdude from the command line to test connectivity ?
ChrisC81

Post by ChrisC81 »

Hi,

Yes i changed the settings in companion9x to use an arduino as ips. But i have read that i have to use the "avrisp" with an arduino too.
I also tried eePe but it doesnt work too.

So i tried to upload the hex file with avrdude direcly..but without success. (what is basicly the same what comp9x and eePe is doing)

Today i received a new programmer. Its a STK500v2 one which has full avrdude compatibility. But still no luck.

But now the errormessage is:

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

But there is one thing thats a bit scary. I temporarily got an ATMEGA8 with a dev board to test the programmer and there is no problem to upload something to the Mega8...also the command you specified to check the connection works great.

If i connect the 9xr after that to run the check again so its not working and the error above occurs....

I also downloaded the Amtel AVR Stuido 4 to test it but it is basicly the same. The Stuido connects without problems to the programmer and reads out the mega8 but no chance with the 9xr(mega64)

That looks not very good.

:(
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

maybe you already tried this but you could try to put -B 100 in the extra arguments in eepe to slow the programmer down.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ChrisC81

Post by ChrisC81 »

"-B 100" does not work either :(

i have tried it with linux(gentoo kernel 3.2.12) and windows 7 with the 5.11 Version of avrdude
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Have you double checked the connections?
-Gohst
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Hmm. Showmaster had a case of betemcu.cn programmer with 220 resistors bricking someones radio. He ended up replacing the mcu. I had feelings that something more was going on. I just have a hard time grasping how an isp programmer could permanently ruin the mcu. Mangle fuses..yes.. even on accident. Disable reset...yes but not on accident . But completely ruin it . Idk.

It's a shame you dont have the original error message. I have a question. One of the things avrdude mentions is to use the '-F' option. Did you try the -F option ?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If you didn't, DON'T DO IT..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I agree. I was trying to phrase in a way to get the most information, but probably could have done it better.
ChrisC81

Post by ChrisC81 »

hi all,

thanks for your reply. For now it seems that my last chance is to wait until the programmer from Hobbyking arrives without doing some modifications
to my 9xr. Maybe there are problems with some resistors on my current progammer, too.

the next step after that , i guess, would be to provide an external clock to the mcu. Maybe the fuses blongs to the clock source have changed..however oO

or...replace the whole mcu.

In the meantime i have asked the Hobbyking support if its possible to get a mainboard as a sparepart or if its possible to sind it in somewhere in germany for repair and awaiting their answer.

no no, i never used the -F switch. Its never good to force something :D especially it should work without like a charm :)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ChrisC81 wrote:In the meantime i have asked the Hobbyking support if its possible to get a mainboard as a sparepart
Can't wait for their answer, IF they answer... they originally said spare parts would be available from day one, but we still haven't seen any!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

rperkins wrote:Hmm. Showmaster had a case of betemcu.cn programmer with 220 resistors bricking someones radio. He ended up replacing the mcu. I had feelings that something more was going on. I just have a hard time grasping how an isp programmer could permanently ruin the mcu. Mangle fuses..yes.. even on accident. Disable reset...yes but not on accident . But completely ruin it . Idk.

It's a shame you dont have the original error message. I have a question. One of the things avrdude mentions is to use the '-F' option. Did you try the -F option ?
The programmer in question also has a resistor where the F1 fuse SMD is. Under programming load the 5 v to the mcu would drop to a little under 3 v instead of the normal high 4 to 5 volts. My thinking is that the combination programmed the mcu in a Simi brown out state and it couldn't dal with it.
It's fixed now and with F1 jumped and wires instead of resistors on the programming lines it works every time now even with the reset cap on the tx board.
It may pay to read the F1 value as well as the resistor pack values before programming. I'll have to read a working stock one and post it. Also while programming the LCD should display a voltage in the high 4v range or maybe 5v. There is some drop so high 4v seems normal in my experience.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
ChrisC81

Post by ChrisC81 »

finally got an answer from the HobbyKing Support...but...without good news. No Board(s) availiable from Hobbyking.

Hmmm, can´t see any resistors near F1. There are four parts in sum near F1 including F1. The quartz crystal,F1 and two red looking things :P Maybe
Diods? On the other side of the programmer are some resistors. R1-R3. Maybe it is one of those?

F1 is marked with "5"

My HobbyKing programmer was shipped a few days ago. I hope that it will take not to much time until it arrives :)
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

F1 is a 500 ma resetable fuse. It normally has very very little voltage drop accross it. I measured one and it came out at .7 ohms. less than one ohm.

IMHO
Sound like the resetable fuse was bad. it either couldnt pass the current it should, or there was a short somewhere in either the programmer or the target or the wiring between the two, and the fuse should have been shutting down all the way and wasnt.

Here is a link to a similar resetable fuse. I measured the size of the fuse and it comes out to SMD 0805. BTW it is marked '5' on it , which probably stands for 500ma. The one in the link is marked '4' probably as the same picture is used for a wide range of actual components

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2045651
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Based on information I got in an email you may want to try to reset the fuses in the 9xr back to default viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2490&p=42791#p42791
jworrin

Post by jworrin »

I have been following this topic for a few weeks because I have the same issue. I was using a usbtinyisp to program my 9xr. Everything was going good until it tried to verify the write and then it failed. Now when I turn on the transmitter, nothing comes up on the screen. The only thing that happens is the "Ready" light lights up. I tried to flash again and it couldn't communicate with the transmitter. I decided to chalk it up to my usbtinyisp not working correctly, even though I have programmed a few other chips with it, and went ahead and ordered 2 of the usbasp programmers from Hobby King. Well, they arrived today and I am sad to say that it still is not working. The error that I am getting is "error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1 initialization failed, rc=1" I have attempted to reset/read the fuses under the fuse menu and it just gives the same error again. I was able to program a different chip with the programmer so I don't think it is the programmer. I am plugging it directly into the computer and not using a usb cable. I am running this on Windows 7 32 bit.

I don't mean to try and hijack this thread, but it sounds like we are having the same issue and hopefully this info will help out in some way.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Here are the thing I would try
jhsa wrote:maybe you already tried this but you could try to put -B 100 in the extra arguments in eepe to slow the programmer down.
More than likely you cant do this with the HK programmers until you replace the firmware on one of them. Luckily you got 2 programammers so you can reprogram one with the other.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1363&hilit=SCK+error
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2927&hilit=SCK+error#p41855
ChrisC81 wrote: the next step after that , i guess, would be to provide an external clock to the mcu. Maybe the fuses blongs to the clock source have changed..however oO
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2985

Good luck and welcome to the forum
ChrisC81

Post by ChrisC81 »

Hi all,

today i received my HK programmer..after nearly a month...and i immediately tried to flash my 9xr. But without luck.
The same error like with the other programmer...Target didn´t answer.

So i decided to try it with an external clock source and pulled the mainboard out of the 9xr. I used a 8 Mhz Oscillator.
With this Oscillator i was able to flash the Open9x Firmware using companion9x without problems :) :) :) :)

So it definitively went something wrong with the fuse bits on my first try to flash. Now i need to set the fuse bits to the right values.

But what is the best way and which are the right values? :)

In the post linked by rperkins a reset is done by:

avrdude.exe-c arduino-p m64-b 19200-P com4-u-U lfuse: w: 0x1E: m-U hfuse: w: 0x96: m-U eFUSE: w: 0x02: m-F
Is that a reset to the factory default so the Atmega is using the internal clock or is it the right config for the 9xr?
Im not really familiar with the fuse bits.

thanks a lot in advance
Chris
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Just use the Burn-> fuses menu in companion9x. Sepect ERASE or PROTECT according to your own preference (ERASE by default, i.e. EEPROM contents will be erased on when flashing, as companion9x. will handle the backup/restore for you).
JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

ChrisC81 wrote:So i decided to try it with an external clock source and pulled the mainboard out of the 9xr. I used a 8 Mhz Oscillator.
With this Oscillator i was able to flash the Open9x Firmware using companion9x without problems :) :) :) :)

Chris
I have the same problem with the 'target don't answer' error. Maybe I should connect a oscillator too. How do you connect an oscillator or crystal? I may have one lying around. Once I know how to connect it, can it be any value or does it has to be 8 Mhz?
ChrisC81

Post by ChrisC81 »

Hi,

you will need a oscillator not a crytal. Or something else thats able generate a suitable clock like the arduino in the Post linked by rperkins above with the right voltage. Because the AtMega is (mis)configured to use a external clock not a crystal(which is onboard). The value should doesn´t matter. Something between 1 MHz(like the Arduino) and 16 MHz.

You have to connect the output of the oscillator to gound and to the pin 24 (XTAL1) of the ATMega .In my case the ground was the outside of the USB Plug(where the programmer is connected) and for the pin i used a cable with a very small measurement tip(i hope thats called right) which i holded maually to the pin. Not the best way but there is no other spot to connect it and i didn´t want to solder a cable to the pin. The reset of the fuses with companion9x doesn´t takes much time so its not a problem to hold it by hand. After that the Atmega should work again with the onboard crystal. If you have the same problem like i had.

hth

So my Turnigy 9xr is working again!!! :D :D All buttons,gimbals,switches, etc is/are working.
Just have to make a test with my Blade MSR and a TX Modul.

Thanks to all of you for your help get it back working!!!
Chris
JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

Will this work? I found it here

ReSt

Post by ReSt »

No, this will not work.
This is exactly as it is now in the radio.

Depending on how the fuses are set, the processor either
expects an oscillator crystal attached to the processor pins according to the above picture, using internal circuits to produce the clock signal.

or it expects a ready made clock signal, that is fed into the xtal1 pin.

Reinhard

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”