9XR Firmware burn failed

JustinTime

Re: 9XR Firmware burn failed

Post by JustinTime »

OK, I'll google some more for 'clock signal'. The above is all I found so far looking for 'oscillator for atmega'

BTW, will it work in this case?

Last edited by JustinTime on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Google for 'external clock'

or download the "Atmega64A" manual and look for '8.8 External clock' of chapter 8 'System Clock and Clock Options' figure 8.5 External Clock Drive Configuration

Reinhard
ChrisC81

Post by ChrisC81 »

You will need something like that:
In this case you have to connect pin 14 to +5V , pin 7 to GND and pin 8 is the output which has to be connected to the XTAL1 of the Atmega.
JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

Thanks, guys. I'll look into it and see if I can recover (nee save) my chip.

BTW, ChrisC81, you did all this while the chip was installed in the radio, correct? You didn't have to disconnect the pin 24 from the internal crystal (if I understood correctly there is one connected there), correct?

EDIT: OK, I bought this oscillator. I hope it has the same pin configuration as ChrisC81 referred to.

ChrisC81

Post by ChrisC81 »

Yes the chip was installed in the radio all the time. To desolder and replace the chip would have been my next step if the oscillator had doesn´t worked.
But.....to desolder a 64 pin qfp seems not be funny..without the right tools...

No, you have nothing to disconnect from the mainboard of the turnigy (the Battery and the TX Modul has to be removed). I pulled mine completly out of the housing by disconnecting all the cables and the LCD and removing the 4 screws. But thats not necessary because the atmega is reachable without.

The internal crystal(on the mainboard) is connected to pin 23 and 24 with 2 caps to generate the clock but you have to feed a allready made clock with the oscillators to pin 24.

You have "only" to connect your programmer(which has to be a 100%-working-with-the-9xr one), connect the oscillator and reset the fuses with companion9x. Maybe its a good idea to get a second person who is able to do the companion9x stuff (well prepared its only one click) while you are connecting the oscillator to the atmega.

I found a datasheet of the oscillator you have orderd here
It should basically work, but the datasheet is a litte bit confusing because the pins in the picture are 1,7,8,14 and the table beside it says 1,2,3,4. Maybe its: 1=1,2=7,3=8 and 4=14 but that is only a guess.
JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

Thanks, Chris, for the data sheet. I looked it up and it shows 4 pins. They are numbered 1, 7, 8 and 14 in the picture so that's what I will go with since it follows the numbering convention of all the 2x7 pin chips.
JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

Partial success! I flashed the spare chip that I have, the one that is not installed in the radio! The external oscillator did the trick. I'm not even sure what firmware is on the programmer that I used. I think it's still the original one. I'm not sure that the flashed mcu will work once installed in the radio but at least Companion9x said it's ready! :D Now I'll try to flash the one that is in the radio.

BTW, in the link above, to the oscillator that I bought, it looks like one oscillator but I got 2 (two)!!! I gave the seller a negative feedback for wrong description! :D :D :D

No, I didn't, of course, I gave him a positive.

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”