Flash failed. 9x possibly bricked. Please help.

Everything about the smartie programmer and backlight kit!
rperkins

Re: Flash failed. 9x possibly bricked. Please help.

Post by rperkins »

I would try to reflash it. remove any spaces from the filename and be sure the file ends in .hex.
be sure you get a hex file that is for a M64 MCU. I see you followed a direct link for a hex file. was that file compiled for M64?
I think eepe and opentx have options to download the appropriate file after you tell the program which processor you have in you radio
you have a M64 MCU

if that fails then using the -F option has messed you up.
you may have to 'set' the fuses.
luckily the smarty board will respond to the -B option to slow the programmer down

cmgreenman

Post by cmgreenman »

Success!!! I switched to Companion9X and had it download the firmware. I then manually erased the flash memory using avrdude on the command line. Then I flashed er9x with Companion9X and it worked.

Everything looks good. Now I just need to make sure it talks with the receiver and make sure the channel order is right.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

great
just to let you know moving forward.
eepe is used with er9x (and its variants ?)
companion9x is used with opentx.

flashing as you have done will work but you wont want to manage your models (eeprom) mismatching these firmwares/tools.
use the appropriate tool for the firmware you have installed on the radio.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think you never used eepe to install the firmware? As far as I remember you used avrdude directly with the -F option? The problem wasn't eepe that is for sure..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
cmgreenman

Post by cmgreenman »

I did use eepe. I added the -F to additional parameters because of past experience with avrdude. I used it to my MinimOSD and that required the -F

The avrdude output I was posting came from the "Review Ouput" lotion in the Burn menu.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

s_mack

Post by s_mack »

-F is *never* necessary... it is just convenient. If you had some other project that "needed" it, its because it had an uncommon or brand new AVR chip and people were too lazy to define a proper config file for it.

-F is not for "forced", it is for "f-ing up your chip" :)
cmgreenman

Post by cmgreenman »

Lol. Got it. I think it also means F*ING check your avrdude version. If I remember correctly the last time I had to upgrade avrdude because the version I installed from my Linux distribution was too old. This time it was to new. I had to downgrade from 6.0.2.1 to 5.11. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Return to “SMARTIEPARTS PROGRAMMER”