Bricked/Dead T9X

OlDrunk

Bricked/Dead T9X

Post by OlDrunk »

I bought my 9x second hand it was flashed with ER9x already and got a USBasp with it, I used the USBasp a couple of weeks ago to flash a Arduino ProMini for a Hubsan TX module and that went fine with out a problem, then this week I connected the USBasp to my 9x and tried to READ the eprom in eepe and got a SCK error in avrdude, now the 9x won't power on just blank screen no tones or sounds :cry: . Did some reading that USBasp needs a firmware update and can be done with a Uno and local shop sold them, so I tried ArduinoISP and didn't work worth c**p following guides, more new errors in avrdude, I think I got a defective Uno. I can't find any thing online that helps been looking for a couple days now, can't reflash the 9x or get it working. I have three bricked, technically four useless AVR based devices likely to hit the dust bin and give up the hobby for a year to save up to buy a taranis and try again? :( don't won't want to spend on any more arduino/avr c**p.

rperkins

Re: Bricked/Dead T9X

Post by rperkins »

Hello and welcome.
if the sck message was related to 'can not set sck period', that is only a warning and you should still be able to read the eeprom.
arduinoISP does work as an avr programmer. depending on where you get the sketch from there may need to be changes made to program eeprom.
There have been some reports of blank t9x when programmed with the wrong firmware.

my advice:
attempt to reprogram your t9x using your usbasp. Do not worry about reprogramming the usbasp at this time.
copy and paste the exact error you are getting. just posting that you get 'errors' will not get you anywhere.

good luck
OlDrunk

Post by OlDrunk »

Thank you for the reply.
I'm going to toss out the USBasp in the garbage as all problems started with it trying to read the 9x to backup my models and now the 9x is dead, I think may have a hardware problem and USBasp shorted out burning the 9x or something. I would like to get the Uno working as ISP for the next 9x when I can afford it or figure out if can fix what burned out on the motherboard on current one. What did you mean "depending on where you get the sketch from there may need to be changes made to program eeprom" ? Guides say just arduinoIDE >File>Examples>ArduinoISP and upload sketch,then for a Uno R3 add a 10uF cap to reset and ground, connect device and plug usb back in, seems overly simple. So, what changes need to be made that all the guides are leaving out?

-Thanks
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

good luck.
It has been awhile since I went down this path so this is all the help I have in this area

the last time this came up on this forum
viewtopic.php?f=109&t=7086

somewhat old but along the same lines. I was hit with something similar when I first got started.
https://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=378

and some more on the same issue
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=1057
OlDrunk

Post by OlDrunk »

Thanks again for help, and I got things resolved ! Plugging the Uno in though a low speed hub made it work as an ISP for me(go figure?) and could read and write the flash/fuses now the unit is working again. some how one fuse changed Ext = FD and flashed with proper fuses Low=0E High=89 Ext=FF and the 9x came back to life!

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Ext fuse set to FD enables "ATMEGA103" compatibility, which effectively disables much of the processor from working properly!
It is the default setting of a brand new chip from the factory.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Great that you have fixed it.. it looks like your other programmer might have changed the fuse. What I find strange is that according to you you just tried to read tue eeprom? It shouldn't have changed anything in my opinion :o

João

EDIT: think it would be a good idea to get a UsbAsp programmer. It looks like Rperkins (that posted above) might still have some in stock. They are not expensive and work very well..
I believe the arduino ISP sketch has to be modified in order to work 100% with the 9x radio..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”