Pololu usb avr programmer

jcp

Pololu usb avr programmer

Post by jcp »

Hello guys,

I have been so stupid to order an avr programmer deviant from all the guides found on the internet :oops:

I carefully soldered the correct cables to the soldering pads (its a v2 board btw) and installed the programmer nicely in the 9x case like so:

When connecting to my computer and installing the pololu drivers everything of course went fine.
But trying to follow this guide on the site of Pololu nothing seemed to work.

After lots of trying with EEPE, AVR studio and other software and settings i started to doubt my soldering skills ;)
But then i found this quote on the product page of Pololu:
The programmer is powered by the 5V USB power bus, and it is intended for programming AVRs that are running at close to 5 V (note that the programmer does not deliver power to the target device).
Although remembering reading somewhere that it's not adviced to leave the battery power on while programming AVR, i decided to be brave and put the lipo in the 9x and tried again with EEPE

I read on the Pololu site:
communicates with your programming software, such as AVR Studio or AVRDUDE, through a virtual COM port using the AVRISPV2/STK500 protocol.
So now with the lipo in the 9x and the 9x turned on, i tried flashing again with AVRISPV2 and 3 different mcu settings, this time the 9x would beep once, but flashing would fail, also with AVR studio.

Below are some screenshots wich might help clarify, since i am new to AVR programming, as soon as i found out that the Pololu programmer was not compatible with EEPE i knew i was in for a pain in the ass :lol: so i really hope that somebody here can help me find the correct settings/setup to flash my 9x with this AVR programmer.

EEPE

The Pololu tool

AVR studio

erazz
9x Developer

Re: Pololu usb avr programmer

Post by erazz »

It's not "incompatible" simply different. eePe uses AVRDUDE to read and write to the MCU.

Settings should be:
Programmer: avrispv2
mcu: m64
Port: Don't know, try leaving blank, trying USB or different ports.

Did you look this up:
http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J36/8

If all else fails I would try and contact Pololu (link at the bottom of previous page) and ask them how to use the programmer with AVRDUDE.
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jcp wrote:
communicates with your programming software, such as AVR Studio or AVRDUDE, through a virtual COM port using the AVRISPV2/STK500 protocol.
Well, then the first thing I'd try is setting AVRDUDE configuration in eepe to use either one of these protocols, not STK500v2 which is different :)
wrecknz

Post by wrecknz »

Hey did you have any luck getting this to work?

I too have ended up with one of these polulu avr programmers, and am not sure whether to go through the trouble of soldering it up before I know it will work.

Cheers
jcp

Post by jcp »

Hi guys, sorry for not replying for so long, been very busy with renovations around the house.

wrecknz, i have narrowed it down to one problem, im unable to connect properly to the device following the manual for upgrading the firmware, maybe you could try the same and see if you can get that to work.
For this you dont even need to solder yet.

this is the part of the manual:
[url]http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J36/9]

Im stuck at the part where i need to connect to the device when its in bootloader mode thru hyperterminal, i cant connect properly and send commands.
The manual says that you can connect using any baudrate, but all i get is questionmarks in hyperterminal.

Since the actual programming of the AVR is also supposed to be done in bootloader mode, i think this is the core of the problem.

gr. Jarno

akschu

Post by akschu »

I just happened to come across this thread while searching for another and wanted to mention I have the same programmer and it works fine. I'm not sure what settings I used off the top of my head (same settings I use to program anything else) but it does work fine.
cucubits

Post by cucubits »

Hi,

@jcp: did you have any luck with this? I am also going to get a pololu programmer (it's the only one available for me)

@akschu: could you please give some more details: what firmware version is your programmer, did you use eepe or some other software, any specific settings?
akschu

Post by akschu »

I'll try to look at this today, but I'm really busy. If I don't shoot me a pm and pester me.

In exchange for me helping you, please write a page on the wiki so that others will be able to get this going.
dex81

Post by dex81 »

@akschu, How did you get the pololu to work with the 9x??? You said to pester you, so I am here to oblige. Thanks man!
akschu

Post by akschu »

Yea, so a few years later I forgot how to do this and was googling, found my own thread, and it wasn't helpful because I never anwswered. :o

So...... I figured it out again, and will now post the answer:

Insert the pololu usb avr programmer and make sure all of the drivers and such are installed for it to work. Then you should update it's firmware. I'm not sure if it will work on old firmware, you can try it, if not use this information to update.

Once you have the programmer installed then head to the device manager on your computer click on the ports and look for "Pololu USB AVR Programmer Programming Port" and note the com port number. On my machine it's com4.

Now that you have the programmer running and know the com port open eepe and choose : Burn->configure then set up the programmer as:

Programmer: avrisp2
CPU: m64
Port: com4 (or whatever your computer assigned)

Then hit ok.

You should now be able to read and write everything just fine. I hope that helps.

schu

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”