NOOB need help setting up Hobbyzone Sport Cub S

vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

NOOB help setting up Hobbyzone Sport Cub S. New to planes and new to OpenTX.

I have attached the transmitter setup details from the Hobbyzone manual. How do I transfer / enter these settings into my Turnigy 9x with OpenTx?
Attachments
TransmitterSetup_Sport Cub S_Manual.pdf
Transmitter setup details from manual
(41.19 KiB) Downloaded 764 times

vondarius21

Re: NOOB need help setting up Hobbyzone Sport Cub S

Post by vondarius21 »

No takers? Please help before I submit to the frustration and buy a Spektrum radio.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What Tx module are you using?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It seems to be a BNF model, so it is Spek. or similar ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

My God, I have just read the manual, who said that the spektrum radio is easier to program than the open source firmware? That thing made no sense whatsoever to me :)

I don't know if this help you but opentx is not that different from er9x. Download er9x manual from the link below and go to the "Appendix A" There you find some configuration for Spektrum transmitters on the 9x. Maybe if you start from there..

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

I am using the Orange RX transmitter module. Will the settings in the Er9x manual work in OpenTX as well?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I haven't been using openTX since a while but I would think so..
You might have to learn how to assign switches to channels and how to program expo and dual rates. Rates and expo might be a little different in openTX.. So, it is a good idea that you also find a openTX manual.. You will find a button at the top of this page on the right side under the donate button..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I may just flash the radio to er9x.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If you do, please note that the eeproms are not compatible, so you would have to program existing models manually..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

OK, thank you for the heads up. I actually don't have any models programmed yet, so no worries there. Is there a tool out there to convert Spektrum .spm files to eeprom?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You mean to convert to the open source system I guess? Are those .spm Spek model files?
I don't think there are converters for that.. Give it a try.. Program the example from the manual and then ask here for some specific programming. I guess you know what the model is supposed to do?
There are some forum users that used/still use spektrum stuff, and they might be able to help you..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

jhsa wrote:You mean to convert to the open source system I guess? Are those .spm Spek model files?
I don't think there are converters for that.. Give it a try.. Program the example from the manual and then ask here for some specific programming. I guess you know what the model is supposed to do?
There are some forum users that used/still use spektrum stuff, and they might be able to help you..

João
Yes I mean to convert to eepee. The .spm files are model files similar to an .eepe.

Thanks for the feedback so far.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't know of any way of converting them, and I'm quite sure there isn't any.. :(

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The 2 systems basically have nothing in common, would be pretty much impossible to convert them automatically.
The best is not to stay "trapped" by the exact parameters and values given in the manual, but rather to think of the big picture and understand what's important to fly the plane. Then replicate that in whatever way that gets done with your radio.

Spektrum are a bit like Apple, IF you use exclusively their equipment then everything is simplified, but they put 0 effort in describing things in ways that help you for other use cases. Good way to "force" people to buy your stuff exclusively.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yep, they should say for example how many degrees/millimeters, the control surfaces should move.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Will provide details when I get home in a few hours. It's quite easy. All you have to do is set up to emulate a DX5e transmitter and that's it. No need to measure control throws.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes of course.. But what I meant was that they don't say that on their manual.. For me it is a bit awkward as I'm used that the models manuals have that kind of info..
Is just that people doesn't use other systems on the models.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Here it is in a nut shell.
Channels 1-4 default mixes
Channel 5, 3-way switch -100, 0, 100
Channel 6 TRN switch -100, 100
Channels 1-6 set limits to 80 (very important)
channels 2 and 4 INV (reverse)
DR 100%, 70%
Expo 20%
If ESC does not arm, set lower limit for channel 1 to -100.

That should give you exactly the same output as the DX4e, DX5e and MLP6DSM that the model is designed for. Correct throws are set automatically.

Channel 5 switch is mode (beginner, intermediate, advanced). Channel 6 switch is panic button.
Note that setting limits to 80% is mandatory for any BNF model that uses linear servos, as 100% on open source firmware is like 125% on Spektrum. If throw is not reduced, the servos may be damaged. Also, channels 5 and 6 switches need to be set to 80% limits as the SAFE technology doesn't like more than normal Spektrum maximum throws.
This formula will fly any model compatible with the standard Spektrum transmitters, though some of the older ones expect a 2-position switch on channel 5. It will work equally well on Taranis, 9XR, 9XR Pro, and 9x, though the commands may differ slightly amongst them.
I have this setup and it works very well. Nice little model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

jhsa wrote:Yes of course.. But what I meant was that they don't say that on their manual.. For me it is a bit awkward as I'm used that the models manuals have that kind of info..
Is just that people doesn't use other systems on the models.. :)

João
I quite agree that it's very good info to have in general. Just in this case there's no need.

Last edited by Daedalus66 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I meant in general.. ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

Daedalus66 wrote:Here it is in a nut shell.
DR 100%, 70%
Expo 20%

That should give you exactly the same output as the DX4e, DX5e and MLP6DSM that the model is designed for. Correct throws are set automatically.

Channel 5 switch is mode (beginner, intermediate, advanced). Channel 6 switch is panic button.
Note that setting limits to 80% is mandatory for any BNF model that uses linear servos, as 100% on open source firmware is like 125% on Spektrum. If throw is not reduced, the servos may be damaged. Also, channels 5 and 6 switches need to be set to 80% limits as the SAFE technology doesn't like more than normal Spektrum maximum throws.
This formula will fly any model compatible with the standard Spektrum transmitters, though some of the older ones expect a 2-position switch on channel 5. It will work equally well on Taranis, 9XR, 9XR Pro, and 9x, though the commands may differ slightly amongst them.

Anyway you could email me screenshots of the switch setup and the DR settings?
vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

Daedalus66 wrote:Here it is in a nut shell.
DR 100%, 70%
Expo 20%

BTW, are these settings for OpenTX or Er9x?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As far as these settings are concerned, they are the same for both er9x and openTx.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Yes. As I said, they apply equally to Taranis (OpenTX) and 9XR/Pro (Er9x).
vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

Daedalus66 wrote:Yes. As I said, they apply equally to Taranis (OpenTX) and 9XR/Pro (Er9x).
I have a standard 9x not 9XR Pro with ER9X or I can flash to OpenTX withever is more desirable?
vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

Ok, guys thanks for the all the feedback, I think I have it worked out. It's bound and all the control surfaces are responsive. 3 position switch seems to control the modes as expected, and the momentary switch seems to work. Now I have to figure out the settings for my 350 QX3. :-)
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

vondarius21 wrote:
Daedalus66 wrote:Yes. As I said, they apply equally to Taranis (OpenTX) and 9XR/Pro (Er9x).
I have a standard 9x not 9XR Pro with ER9X or I can flash to OpenTX withever is more desirable?
In most respects both provide similar features. There is no reason to switch to OpenTX when you already have a perfectly good system going. Make sure it's reasonably up to date.

However, it may be that Er9x is more suitable in relation to your next question about the 350 QX3. Will get back on that when I've analyzed the requirements from the manual.

EDIT: Finally able to read this properly and realize you are using OpenTX in your 9x transmitter. That's fine.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

vondarius21 wrote:Ok, guys thanks for the all the feedback, I think I have it worked out. It's bound and all the control surfaces are responsive. 3 position switch seems to control the modes as expected, and the momentary switch seems to work. Now I have to figure out the settings for my 350 QX3. :-)
Great. I've flown our Cub with both the MLP6DSM that comes with the RTF version and my 9XR with very similar results. When the weather warms up it will be flown by a 9-year old as a step up to ailerons from a HobbyZone Champ.

I'm in the process of analyzing the 350 Qx3 setup. The DX4 that comes with the RTF version is similar to the DX4e except that it has no trims or reversing switches (not needed in this application) and the throttle stick is spring loaded to centre.

Will be back on this one.

vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

Daedalus66 wrote:
vondarius21 wrote:
In most respects both provide similar features. There is no reason to switch to OpenTX when you already have a perfectly good system going. Make sure it's reasonably up to date.

However, it may be that Er9x is more suitable in relation to your next question about the 350 QX3. Will get back on that when I've analyzed the requirements from the manual.

I have attached two files for reference for the 350
Attachments
BLH8180-350_QX3_BNF_Tx_setup-MULTI.pdf
(150.33 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
Set Up DX6-9-18 for 350 QX3.pdf
Set up file for reference for 350
(139.44 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The first one of those is what's in the manual. The second one is the real key and is essential reading. We'll focus on understanding it in OpenTX terms..

Here's the basic setup:

CH1 80% Thr (limits -104, 100) THROTTLE (matches usual Spektrum range -100%, +100%)
R -104% HALF TRN MOTOR SHUTOFF ON TRAINER SWITCH (Gives Spektrum -130%) -- Note Replace setting of Mplex
CH2 100% Ail (limits -80, 80) INV AILERON (matches usual Spektrum range -100%, +100%)
CH3 100% Ele (limits -80, 80) ELEVATOR (matches usual Spektrum range -100%, +100%)
CH4 100% Rud (limits -80, 80) INV RUDDER (matches usual Spektrum range -100%, +100%)
CH5 100% 3-POS (-100, 0, 100) (limits -80, 80) SWITCH B - FLIGHT MODES ON 3-POSITION SWITCH (matches Spektrum -100%, 0, +100%) (GEAR channel)
CH6 100% GEAR (-100, 100) (limits -112, 96) SWITCH A - GIMBAL CONTROL MODE ON GEAR SWITCH (matches Spektrum -120% to 140%) (AUX1 or FLAPS channel)
CH7 100% P3 (limits -80, 80) KNOB - GIMBAL ANGLE ON POT P3 (matches usual Spektrum range -100%, +100%) (AUX2)

What you see here across the line is:
Channel number
Weight
Input (stick, pot, switch, etc.)
Limits settings in Limits or Servos page (Note E. Limits must be turned on to allow limits beyond 100).
INV if reversed in Limits or Servos page
The function this controls in the 350 QX3 and the equivalent switch name (Switch A, Switch B)
How the output relates to Spektrum (100% OpenTX = 125% Spektrum)
The name of the channel is Spektrum-speak (e.g., CH6 is called either Flaps or AUX1, depending on context.)

What you see above works in Er9x and should be readily transposed to OpenTX. I can't tell you exactly how to set all this up in OpenTX because I haven't worked with that firmware for a while. But if necessary I'll flash one of my 9x transmitters to OpenTX and figure it out. What version of OpenTX are you using?

This ought to take the place of all the "Set GEAR to B" type instructions in the "Flight Notes" document. The rest of those instructions should make sense if you label your 9x switches A, B, and I and P3 as Knob.

That's enough for tonight. To get the other two modes you just need to add mixes that will give values on CH5 of +100 (Spektrum 125%) and +112 (Spektrum 140%). You can use DR switches to access these modes, but I haven't thought through the details.

Hope this helps. Try setting it up and use the graphic and numeric output screens on the transmitter (or Companion) to make sure you are getting the right results. There may be errors in the above material, but the basic directions are correct.

I've written this up in the attached PDF document that may be more convenient to use.

EDIT: I should probably have started a new thread for the 350 QX3.
Attachments
Setting up the 350 QX3 on Open Source Firmware.pdf
(176.39 KiB) Downloaded 507 times

Return to “openTx model setup”