NOOB need help setting up Hobbyzone Sport Cub S

vondarius21

Re: NOOB need help setting up Hobbyzone Sport Cub S

Post by vondarius21 »

Major thanks to Daedalus66, awesome job for the research, insight and feedback. Thank you so much. I'll be implementing these settings tonight.

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Let me know how it goes. You'll have to make adjustments for your firmware, as I'm not up to date on OpenTX. For example, how to set up a switch with specific endpoints beyond 100. It should be easy enough, but what I've done may not work for you. Anyway, it's a good exercise in programming.
vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

Everything appeared to be setup properly but on my maiden after taking off the plane (Sport Cub S) began climbing straight up,then took a nose dive! I have not tried the 350 QX3 settings yet.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Did you check the plane's center of gravity is correct?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Center of gravity is pretty much automatically right if you use a standard battery in the standard location.

It should climb at full throttle, but not too steeply. Did it still climb steeply if you used down trim?
I found that initially mine climbed too much at two thirds to full throttle. Down elevator trim was needed. Once I landed, I adjusted the elevator linkage by bending the adjustment loop with pliers as directed in the manual. It took two or three flights to get it just right but then it flew very nicely. Be sure to read and follow the manual, as there are special requirements for setting up a stabilized model.
By the way, I flew mine with the DX4e transmitter that I used to establish the settings for open source transmitters. Then with my 9XR Pro to verify the settings. It flew the same with either transmitter.

vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

Daedalus66 wrote:Center of gravity is pretty much automatically right if you use a standard battery in the standard location.

It should climb at full throttle, but not too steeply. Did it still climb steeply if you used down trim?
I found that initially mine climbed too much at two thirds to full throttle. Down elevator trim was needed. Once I landed, I adjusted the elevator linkage by bending the adjustment loop with pliers as directed in the manual. It took two or three flights to get it just right but then it flew very nicely. Be sure to read and follow the manual, as there are special requirements for setting up a stabilized model.
By the way, I flew mine with the DX4e transmitter that I used to establish the settings for open source transmitters. Then with my 9XR Pro to verify the settings. It flew the same with either transmitter.
OK, I'll recheck the manual for those settings and report my results.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

vondarius21 wrote:
Daedalus66 wrote: OK, I'll recheck the manual for those settings and report my results.
It's not the settings you need to check -- I've given you those -- but the procedure for trimming.
vondarius21

Post by vondarius21 »

Daedalus66 wrote:
vondarius21 wrote:
Daedalus66 wrote: OK, I'll recheck the manual for those settings and report my results.
It's not the settings you need to check -- I've given you those -- but the procedure for trimming.
Understood, thanks.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

It's a bit confusing. My interpretation boils down to "For the stabilizer to work correctly, all neutrals must be 1500usec. No trim or Subtrim allowed. Trimming must be done mechanically."
My experience (limited because I could only fly indoors once a month and outdoor flying has been out of the question) was that the model had excessive climb at cruise throttle. So I fed in down trim till it was properly trimmed. I did this with the model in "Experienced" mode for minimum stabilizer effect.

Then I landed and noted the elevator position. I returned the elevator trim to zero. Then I bent the push rod loop to get the elevator to the position it had when I landed.

Then I test flew and retuned with elevator trim. Then landed, zeroed trim and tweaked the mechanical setup. That was it.

I don't believe trim has to be absolutely zero, but should be very close.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Cub with my nine-year old grandson on a nice calm spring evening when the snow has finally gone. He does very well with a Hobbyzone Champ, so I'm sure he'll manage the Cub with little difficulty.
brentduke

Post by brentduke »

Daedalus66 wrote:Here it is in a nut shell.
Channels 1-4 default mixes
Channel 5, 3-way switch -100, 0, 100
Channel 6 TRN switch -100, 100
Channels 1-6 set limits to 80 (very important)
channels 2 and 4 INV (reverse)
DR 100%, 70%
Expo 20%
If ESC does not arm, set lower limit for channel 1 to -100.

That should give you exactly the same output as the DX4e, DX5e and MLP6DSM that the model is designed for. Correct throws are set automatically.

Channel 5 switch is mode (beginner, intermediate, advanced). Channel 6 switch is panic button.
Note that setting limits to 80% is mandatory for any BNF model that uses linear servos, as 100% on open source firmware is like 125% on Spektrum. If throw is not reduced, the servos may be damaged. Also, channels 5 and 6 switches need to be set to 80% limits as the SAFE technology doesn't like more than normal Spektrum maximum throws.
This formula will fly any model compatible with the standard Spektrum transmitters, though some of the older ones expect a 2-position switch on channel 5. It will work equally well on Taranis, 9XR, 9XR Pro, and 9x, though the commands may differ slightly amongst them.
I have this setup and it works very well. Nice little model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got my Sport Cub S today and I to am using my taranis (use with quadcopter currently) with the orangerx module. I think I have everything set as you show. Everything works except the throttle. If I put the throttle all the way up the motor just pulses. I have tried 4 different batteries and no luck. Also are the lights in the motor area suspose to blink red constantly?

So I am quite a noob. Also just want to make sure I have my limits set right....I do this under the servo tab and change the -100 to an -80 and the 100 to an 80 for all channels?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Sorry, but if you have a 2015 Orange module, it simply won't work with the Sport Cub S or any of the other recent UMX models, such as Radian UMX or NanoQX. The previous generation of Orange modules does work with these models.

The new modules work fine with stand-alone receivers from Spektrum, Orange, Lemon.

What to do? Complain to HK and hope they come up with a module fix, possibly in firmware. Or look for an earlier version of the Orange module. Or look for a Spektrum DM9 module. Or do a "hack" using the module from a DX4e or DX5e. Or fly the Cub with a DX4e or DX5e (often available used for $25 or so).

I have a DX4e for my grandson to use while flying our Cub. It fits small hands very nicely.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.
idar66

Post by idar66 »

hi mate im just setting my 2oosrx up like your dx5 emulation file on my new 9xr pro, i think ive got it right in open tx and im just getting finished with 9xr pro running sky9xr fimware lastest, when setting up 3 way switch for modes it took me awhile to get it to work i had to use source half for chanel 5 and full for chanel 6 ,is this correct? it seems to work on screen alright im a little worried if ive got it right or not, could you plz post your 9xr pro settings so i can compare mine to yours to make sure i have it right, thanks heaps for your help plz include your paypal as id like to buy you a beer or two, cheers idar :D :D
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

FULL for CH6 is correct and will give -100, 100. It should be controlled by TRN switch.
For CH5 you want the 3-position switch to give -100, 0, 100. HALF will only give 0, 100 as the name implies. So what you need to do is set up 3POS as source with Switch left as ---. This will do what you need in one fell swoop!
To test the output, just look at the graphic screen (the one with the bars on it). You will immediately be able to see if the mixes are working correctly.
I'm not at home right now so can't check this. I'll be home tomorrow and better equipped to deal with questions.
Don't worry about PP. Just think kind thoughts while having one for yourself.

EDIT: The above assumes you are using version 202 or 204 firmware. Please check the version and let me know what you've got. In later versions use sIDx as the source.

For details on setting up mixes see page 27 of "ERsky9x Explained", available at:
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=5581
chubb

Post by chubb »

Buy a Devo 7e and load up deviation flys the Sport Cub S perfect that's what I use

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Chubbywaffles

Post by Chubbywaffles »

Daedalus66 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:04 pm Here it is in a nut shell.
Channels 1-4 default mixes
Channel 5, 3-way switch -100, 0, 100
Channel 6 TRN switch -100, 100
Channels 1-6 set limits to 80 (very important)
channels 2 and 4 INV (reverse)
DR 100%, 70%
Expo 20%
If ESC does not arm, set lower limit for channel 1 to -100.

That should give you exactly the same output as the DX4e, DX5e and MLP6DSM that the model is designed for. Correct throws are set automatically.

Channel 5 switch is mode (beginner, intermediate, advanced). Channel 6 switch is panic button.
Note that setting limits to 80% is mandatory for any BNF model that uses linear servos, as 100% on open source firmware is like 125% on Spektrum. If throw is not reduced, the servos may be damaged. Also, channels 5 and 6 switches need to be set to 80% limits as the SAFE technology doesn't like more than normal Spektrum maximum throws.
This formula will fly any model compatible with the standard Spektrum transmitters, though some of the older ones expect a 2-position switch on channel 5. It will work equally well on Taranis, 9XR, 9XR Pro, and 9x, though the commands may differ slightly amongst them.
I have this setup and it works very well. Nice little model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is an old post just wondering if dual rates (100/70%) & expo (20%) are on all channels or a certain one? Thank you
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The rates and expo for three control surfaces (R, E, A) are controlled by the Rate switch on the transmitter (assuming you are using a DX4e, DX5e or DXe).

The rates are 100% with the switch up (position 0) and approximately 70% with the switch down (position 1).

On the MLPDSM, rates are controlled by pressing on the right stick.

A fixed amount of Expo can be set on or off on some of these transmitters. As far as I can see, the Sport Cub S is not designed to use expo, as the manual makes no mention of it. As I recall, when I last flew mine, I used a DX4e with no expo and didn’t find any particular need for it.
Chubbywaffles

Post by Chubbywaffles »

Daedalus66 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:52 am The rates and expo for three control surfaces (R, E, A) are controlled by the Rate switch on the transmitter (assuming you are using a DX4e, DX5e or DXe).

The rates are 100% with the switch up (position 0) and approximately 70% with the switch down (position 1).

On the MLPDSM, rates are controlled by pressing on the right stick.

A fixed amount of Expo can be set on or off on some of these transmitters. As far as I can see, the Sport Cub S is not designed to use expo, as the manual makes no mention of it. As I recall, when I last flew mine, I used a DX4e with no expo and didn’t find any particular need for it.

Perhaps you can help me out I own the jumper t16 with multi protocol and have successfully bound my horizon sport cub s to this radio but I want to emulate the MLPDSM stock radio, specificallythe the position switch and the panic switch. I have attempted to follow your instructions but I become confused on step 4 (rates set to 80%) as in the previous step you mentioned all rates are to be set at 100%, step 6 (dual rates 100/70%) is this set to a 3 position switch to emulate the MLPDSM beginner, intermediate, expert switch? And finally step 7 (expo 20%) where do I assigned this? I have scoured the web and your information has been one of the most helpful but some clarification would help me continue confidently. It seems that currently my plane does not respond as when using the original stock radio. Thank you in advance
Chubbywaffles

Post by Chubbywaffles »

Ps... pictures of your setup would be huge !
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

First, you are confusing limits with rates. The 80% referred to limits, set on what is now called the Outputs page. The other percentages are rates (as in D/R) and are set in the Inputs page.

Second, and more important, you are reading something written four years ago. Since then the Multiprotocol firmware has been modified so that the DSMX protocol has a built in reduction factor of approximately 80%. Hence you should ignore all references to 80% limits in setting up for a recent Multi module that has the reduction factor in the firmware. Recent means last year or 18 months.

I presume you are well aware of the need to use AETR channel order in the transmitter. This is the standard sequence for all Multi modules and is automatically converted to the TAER order required by Spektrum receivers.

One general lesson is to be very wary of advice in old threads. Sometimes very good but sometimes quite misleading when things have changed.

Feel free to ask for further clarifications if necessary. The original article assumed familiarity with OpenTX programming.
Chubbywaffles

Post by Chubbywaffles »

Thank you for the feedback. So hopefully you can tell me if my setup is correct and if not would you mind providing me with a setup checklist to successfully setup my radio to the horizon sport cub s with the panic switch and three position switch (begginer, intermediate, advanced mode) ?

So firstly this is being done in opentx on the jumper t16 multi protocol radio. In my system menu I have default channel order set to AETR, as recommended. I then go on to setup model wizard provided and am asked if there is an engine (yes ch. 1) ailerons? (Yes two w/ y cable ch.2) tail configuration? (Elevator ch.3, rudder ch.4) flaps? (No) . After this I go to model setups menu I turn off internal module & enable external module set to multi dsm x 22ms . Next I go to inputs menu and assign a 3 position switch with 100 0 -100 (safe), and assign a momentary switch to 100 -100 (panic switch). Is this a correct setup? Are there additional steps that I am missing? I believe that I may need to reverse 2 channels (rudder/ailerons? Not sure yet I need to check) if this correct I am running into an issue where for some reason my throttle is being automatically placed on my Elevator channel and cannot figure out just why! I greatly appreciate your help this is my 1st time setting up a model and have been trying to figure this out for a few months now with no avail. My hope is to replace the stock radio provided with the plane to my new radio and not have to carry both.
Attachments
15711595075293230826634556066968.jpg
15711594716518579838296369935947.jpg
15711594523706709503849530468859.jpg
15711594276802245177916056556053.jpg
15711593657177978248045876553220.jpg
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Sorry. I missed this when first posted.

As indicated previously, Multiprotocol modules generally require that the transmitter be set up in AETR channel order.

This means that if you use the wizard for setup you must answer the questions accordingly. Motor is on channel 3, while Aileron and Elevator are on channels 1 and 2 respectively.

This is the first thing to correct.

Edit:
What matters is the order of channels on the Mixer page. The order on the Inputs pager is not significant and the order on the Outputs page automatically follows that on the Mixer page.

So go to Mixer and use Move to shift the first four channels around.

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Here’s what the Sport Cub S setup looks like on my Taranis QX7.

It should be similar on your Jumper, except that the switch assignments may differ.

I used Switch A for channel 5 (SAFE mode), Switch H (momentary) for Panic Recovery, and Switch F for Throttle Cut (invoked by Special Function).

I haven’t done D/R or Expo yet. That will be on the Inputs page and I’ll get to it tomorrow.

Study the details carefully and you should get most of what you need. I can explain further as necessary.

Nigel
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Oops. Here are the pictures.

ImageImageImageImage
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Here are the promised pictures of the Inputs screen showing D/R and Expo (actually T/R).ImageImage
Chubbywaffles

Post by Chubbywaffles »

Daedalus66 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:30 am Oops. Here are the pictures.

ImageImageImageImage
Thank you so much for the feedback ! I will set up accordingly and see how this works for me.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

You may need to adjust a few things for your Jumper. But basically it should be the same.
Chubbywaffles

Post by Chubbywaffles »

Daedalus66 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:02 am Here are the promised pictures of the Inputs screen showing D/R and Expo (actually T/R).ImageImage
Hello, I had a question regarding the d/r or t/r & expo on switch D. Would I use this as my emulation of the beginner/ intermediate/ experienced switch from original radio instead of the safe switch programmed on (channel 5 SA)? If so what is Switch A used for .... Outside of this I have successfully programmed my radio thanks to you and your pictures. Absolutely grateful for your help I plan to make a write up on the forum for anyone who may be dealing with these same issues, once I fully grasp the concept.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Chubbywaffles wrote: Hello, I had a question regarding the d/r or t/r & expo on switch D. Would I use this as my emulation of the beginner/ intermediate/ experienced switch from original radio instead of the safe switch programmed on (channel 5 SA)? If so what is Switch A used for .... Outside of this I have successfully programmed my radio thanks to you and your pictures. Absolutely grateful for your help I plan to make a write up on the forum for anyone who may be dealing with these same issues, once I fully grasp the concept.
D/R etc has nothing to do with SAFE mode. D/R etc. settings are on the Inputs page and change the way the sticks control the A, E and R channels (2, 3, 4).

SAFE mode (Beginner, etc.) is labelled as such on channel 5 in the Mixer page.

I set up D/R etc. on Switch D, but you can use any two or three position switch you like.

Similarly, I set up SAFE on Switch A but you could assign it to any other three-position switch you like.

I used these switches because they are roughly similar in position to those on the MLPDSM transmitter: front left and front right respectively. I don’t know the switch locations on the Jumper.

I don’t know if this answers your questions. Feel free to ask more.
Nigel
Chubbywaffles

Post by Chubbywaffles »

Daedalus66 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:33 am
Chubbywaffles wrote: Hello, I had a question regarding the d/r or t/r & expo on switch D. Would I use this as my emulation of the beginner/ intermediate/ experienced switch from original radio instead of the safe switch programmed on (channel 5 SA)? If so what is Switch A used for .... Outside of this I have successfully programmed my radio thanks to you and your pictures. Absolutely grateful for your help I plan to make a write up on the forum for anyone who may be dealing with these same issues, once I fully grasp the concept.
D/R etc has nothing to do with SAFE mode. D/R etc. settings are on the Inputs page and change the way the sticks control the A, E and R channels (2, 3, 4).

I set up D/R etc. on Switch D, but you can use any two or three position switch you like.

Similarly, I set up SAFE on Switch A but you could assign it to any other three-position switch you like.

I used these switches because they are roughly similar in position to those on the MLPDSM transmitter: front left and front right respectively. I don’t know the switch locations on the Jumper.

Nigel
So say when I have dual rates or (switch D) on the ⬇️ down position (low rates) this then desensitizes the throws on the three channels (Ail, Ele, Rud) and when switch D is in middle - position it gives a little more response, and when in ⬆️ position it has full throws is this correct? Because if so then my confusion then is that this sounds like the 3 position switch on the MLPDSM (low, medium, & high throws) yet I have a 3 position
(set to 100, 0, -100%) switch A, that you say is in fact what emulates the MLPDSM safe switch.

I suppose I'm trying to understand when and how I should use each switch respectively. Also would you mind explaining why & how, setting a 3 position switch (for safe) to 100, 0, -100 % has an effect and where does this have an effect. Does it effect on all control surfaces & throttle? Just odd to me because the switch throws are vague as in it only says 100%, 0, -100% but in reference to what? I can see the logic in the dual rates switch setup as it is telling you what is being affected and by how much. Again thank you for your time : )
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Chubbywaffles wrote:
Daedalus66 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:33 am

Nigel
So say when I have dual rates or (switch D) on the [emoji3596] down position (low rates) this then desensitizes the throws on the three channels (Ail, Ele, Rud) and when switch D is in middle - position it gives a little more response, and when in [emoji3595] position it has full throws is this correct? Because if so then my confusion then is that this sounds like the 3 position switch on the MLPDSM (low, medium, & high throws) yet I have a 3 position
(set to 100, 0, -100%) switch A, that you say is in fact what emulates the MLPDSM safe switch.

I suppose I'm trying to understand when and how I should use each switch respectively. Also would you mind explaining why & how, setting a 3 position switch (for safe) to 100, 0, -100 % has an effect and where does this have an effect. Does it effect on all control surfaces & throttle? Just odd to me because the switch throws are vague as in it only says 100%, 0, -100% but in reference to what? I can see the logic in the dual rates switch setup as it is telling you what is being affected and by how much. Again thank you for your time : )
The three position switch on the MLPDSM controls channel 5, SAFE mode. It has nothing to do with dual rates. The right side switch is the one that controls dual rate on all three flight control surfaces. D/R does not apply to throttle of course (it would be meaningless).

I have to go out for much of today but will get back to this later.

Note: when you reply to a post, please just quote the post you are responding to, not your own previous post. It all gets very cumbersome and hard to follow.

Return to “openTx model setup”