Flysky, Turnigy or price.

Upgrade your 9X!
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

Well, I am pretty sure I have damaged something I can't repair on my Flysky 9x bought at BG. This after getting the 9xtreme and other mods working, and installing the internal DHT module. Now it's stuck on the boot loader screen. While I am still able to connect by USB, the buttons, switches stopped allowing me to navigate past the startup screen. Continuous messing around just made things get worse to where I am now deciding on which transmitter to replace it with. I understood that the Flysky and Turnigy 9x are still the same thing in 2015 and those are my only choices to reuse the 9xtreme. Would anyone confirm that I should just buy whichever one is the cheapest?
Thanks for any input.

OctavioS

Re: Flysky, Turnigy or price.

Post by OctavioS »

They are basically the same, but its known that more recent batches come with the 128 chip instead of the m64, which adds more memory and its impossible to know which is which.
This is usefull for those who want to "solder mod" this tx and for what i gather its not relevant for those who use it with the 9xtreme.
Below are two examples of where you can buy them.
The Hobbyking one comes with the "built in" module in which you can only remove it by opening and unsoldering the antenna wire from the pcb.
The Banggood one comes with the module separated from the radio itself, so you can skip the above step.
The Hobbyking one, as you can see is cheaper, but you have to pay for postage and depends on where you live, it might come cheap or not for ~1.5 kg.
All in all, they are the same, only the external color/branding changes, so its really up to you too decide which.
Hope it helped.

9x Hobbyking

9x Banggood
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Your existing radio can probably be repaired, we just need to know exactly what happens to be able to suggest what to check.
So, you have a 9X with a 9Xtreme fitted.
When you switch on, what happens? Does it start in the Boot Loader screen, showing "Boot Loader V1.7Ready" on the top line, without you pressing any trim switches?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

Thanks all. Mike, now when I switch it on the screen displays "9Xtreme" in the center and r00.3 in the bottom left corner. If I do the trims in power on, the same display appears but the background changes from green to red/purple

Connecting by USB to my MacBook, the two folders appear.
I can read the memory, write etc.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That text comes from the original main board. The buttons are also read by the main board, and passed to the 9Xtreme over the "pogo pins". The 9Xtreme also sends the display data to the original main board using these pins.
If the pogo pins are not connecting, the result will be exactly as you describe.

I suggest removing the 9Xtreme, checking the pads on the original main board are really clean, then re-mounting the 9Xtreme.

For information, the three pots and some of the switches are handled by the original main board, and while they are also sent to the 9Xtreme using the pogo pins, there is a 'backup' method, via a wire, so that should a pogo pin connection fail while flying, you won't lose these controls, just the display and the buttons.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, would it do the same problem if the 9x board was a V1 and hence no connection between thd SCK and the corresponding pogo pin?

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, and they must have worked at one time or the original board wouldn't get flashed, and it must have been flashed as it displays "9Xtreme".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

true, thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

Ok, found the first problem. Note that everything was working fine with 9xtreme board a few days ago.
One of the pins on the 9xtreme is broken off.

I do not have the skill to solder this on so I tried putting it in place and surrounding it with a bit of crazy glue.

Now the radio boots up past the 9xtreme display to an almost entirely scrambled message which I can see parts of the words Disp(lay) and p(8) press (don't know what)
Pressing buttons does not do anything.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You might try Steven at SmartieParts, he's usually very helpful.
Alternatively, try soldering a wire to the place of the missing pin and the other end to the pad on the 9X board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

I'm looking for a diagram which shows which pad I should wire to from the broken pin. Just so I don't have to trust my eye.
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

Mike, I did what you said and soldered the soldered the pin to pad locations with a wire. The 9x boots up all the way to the normal display and I can move the throttle and sticks and see the corresponding display bars move. However the menu, exit, and other buttons do not allow navigating to any other page.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

They are sent using the 'other' pin that is close to the one you have replaced with a wire. When you soldered the wire to the pad, you might have left some flux, or other residue, on the other pad that is causing the pin not to make a connection.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

Soldering a wire to the pin and pad beside the broken one did not result in a difference. I have emailed Steven, and also ordered another radio.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I missed this thread (until you just emailed me) because it is outside of the 9Xtreme forum. I didn't think it was even possible to post where you did :) Perhaps an Admin can move it into the 9Xtreme section. Anyway, I've responded to your email. Since you're in Canada (so am I), mailing it to me for repair is probably the fastest resolution.
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

Great, I'll reply soon. My mail server is slow today.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

An update for this.

I received the damaged board and repaired the pins. I still get the exact same behaviour as described earlier by fxsti.

Menu, exit and directional buttons ALL work to clear the alarms screens, but NONE work once at the main screen. 2 of the 3 pots work (HOV.PIT does not). None of the trims work (correction, right horizontal works). Sticks do work. Some switches do, most do not.

I've soldered the connections to be sure. Same result.

Keeping in mind this is on an entirely different 9X then fxsti was testing with, it is safe to assume it is the 9Xtreme misbehaving. But why?

Mike has confirmed that a stuck trim could cause the behavior described, and upon closer inspection I do see that both vertical trims are stuck in the down position. I've been unable to determine why. I see no shorts/bridges and all resistors have correct values and none are shorted to ground.

Under magnification, I did see an area of the board where there does appear to be some damage and some copper is exposed while the surrounding area shows what may be scorching under the surface. I don't know if this is related or not.

While damage is certainly a possibility (which would not be covered under warranty), I can't really determine one way or another so I'm going to treat it like it was a defect and send out a replacement board.
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

I too am surprised. Prior to looking at the 9xtreme board as having an issue, I was sure it was the radio itself causing the problem, since it was the only thing I was touching. Everything was fine following the installation of the board, and I cannot think of, or remember any event that could have triggered the trouble days after.

Return to “UPGRADE BOARDS”