Help needed installing DJT and add telemetry to the gruvin b

Upgrade your 9X!
Koarl

Help needed installing DJT and add telemetry to the gruvin b

Post by Koarl »

Hello guys,

my friend has a 9x with a gruvin board installed. Now we want to replace the stock module with a DJT.
The module should be wired internally like in Mike Blandfords mod.
The question is now if I need any more resistors and maybe anything else or if it is fine like shown in the added drawing. Or did I forget anything in my shematics? It would be nice if one of the more expirienced modders takes a look at it.

Does the Mod cause the loss of the insurance? Or is it better, regarding this to drill a hole in the TX and use the normal connector on the modul to connect it to the board?

Thanks

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

Koarl

Re: Help needed installing DJT and add telemetry to the gruv

Post by Koarl »

Nobody?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

From an insurance view it would be better to wire from the back of the module. I don't know for certain if doing the mod would invalidate the insurance, we are not changing the actual RF section!

There is a classic problem with serial communication, what is TXD at one end becomes RXD at the other, You will probably need to cross the connections over compared to your drawing.

Don't forget the backboard of a 9X has pin 2 connected to GROUND on BOTH sides of the board, you will need to cut these connections.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Hello Mike!
Thanks for your answer!
Regarding insurance: on the other hand side a hole drilled through the transmitter with a a cable that plugs into the module looks pretty cheesy to a insurance guy... Do you understand my thinking?The mod would be not that obvious.
But for my feeling both variants are pretty risky.

I tried to redraw the picture in your tutorial. When doing the mod I would refer to that one not to my cheaply made sketch. But thanks!

I had in mind to cut the pins free, just forgot it at the drawing.

So beside from switching txd and rxd, is it fine? Or do I need some more resistors or something elsewhere?

Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I would recommend modifying the DJT in this way:
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=3868&p=57121&hilit ... tky#p57047.
This makes the DJT fully compatible with the 9X, Taranis and the 9XR-PRO.

I have one DJT modified in this way and have tested it in all three.
I also have another DJT that is unmodified. Perhaps if I have a problem, I just swap out the modified one for the unmodified one, who's to know which I was actually flying with!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Allright, thanks! I will think about that. Stupid question: what benefit do I have from a DJT in the Taranis?

Beside from the module mod, is the way I will connect the module through the backboard to the gruvin9x board fine? Or is there another resistor or stuff required?

Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think the only significant benefit of the DJT is if you have some older 'V' receivers that won't work with the XJT. While they don't have, so don't need, the telemetry connection, if you mod the DJT for telemetry use elsewhere, you need to mod it this way so plugging it in to the Taranis doesn't damage the Taranis.

I think thr connections to the Gruvin board are OK, but I haven't checked the circuit of the Gruvin board to be certain.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Thanks! I dont have any V- receivers. So I think I will stick to the simpler mod.

As far as I can see in the pictures on gruvins site are there no more components between the board and the backboard. Only three cables from the rs232 on the g9x board and the backboard of the tx. But the pictures don't show the full "connection line" and the discription is rather short. So I wasnt sure about that and wanted to have it confirmed by the forum.
As soon as I have time and my friend ordered the module I will give it a try that way! Hopefully I can repost from a succes!

Thanks meanwhile!!

Return to “UPGRADE BOARDS”