9x radio v1 or v2

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
wheelspinner20

9x radio v1 or v2

Post by wheelspinner20 »

Is the v1 term being mis-used? I wonder can anyone say what the other, if any, changes were made between the v1 main board and the v2 main board??

Could it be that there is just a tolerance error in that center solder pad, or maybe there were, or are, two different suppliers and one does it a little to the right to make contack with the 6th pin from right, and the other supplier makes them with the pad over on the 9th pin from the left???

Can anyone state what the other changes were v1 to v2??

Thanks.

Pat
no more quippy little latin phrases.! Its old

wheelspinner20

Re: 9x radio v1 or v2

Post by wheelspinner20 »

It just seems odd to me that all of the sudden after a couple thousand units sold, that they should be showing up with newer delivery dates, as a different configuration.

I wonder if Steven has considered a change (as costly as that would be I doubt it) in his design as a result of the rash of so-called "v1 boards".
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

THis is what I get from what is happening.

When the Radio first came out, it was the 'v1' mother board, and 'v1' firmware.

V2 Firmware came out, fixing a lot of issues that the v1 firmaware had, and all is well, now the supplier has thousands of v1 radios, v1 firmware and v1 motherboards. Someone decided that to 'flash' the v1 boards to v2 firmware would be easier if the board was changed, now we have v2 boards. Now, the supplier makes the new radios with v2 boards and v2 firmware, while in teh warehouse, the thousands of v1 mother boards are sitting, hire some people, and start updating the v1 mother boards with v2 firmware. Now a batch is done, ship it out, now we have v1 and v2 mother boards with v2 firmware.

Our Transmitters were never made for what we are doing. It isn't the manufacturers fault. They sell the radios as is. If we want to mod them, we have to del with the variations of mother oards out there. I dont think v1 mother boards are going to last...

whew... :D
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Yes there is a physical difference between the V1 and V2 hardware revisions of the main board. The silver pad is attached to a different trace/pin on the processor.

This picture is of a V1 and shows the location of the pad in a V2.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

In the bigger picture - it does not make much difference to the end functionality.

All it means is that the smartie board does not work out the box.

If you are using a stand alone programmer and soldering it up - no issue! Just connect the correct pin!

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

wheelspinner20

Post by wheelspinner20 »

Thanks for the replies guys, I was looking for more of a response like leo's like theories as to why we are seeing more of these. I'm more than familiar with the difference in the pads, Great pic though crucial, thats a great reference for those that are unboxing their new hotness.!

Leo, not really sure why they would have surpluss numbers of the "left shifted pad" main boards.? I mean is it unreasonable to assume that the number of cases and boards would be about the same?

I guess, like I said, I was just curious. I have my two, I don't think I will need any more anytime soon.

Pat
B12

Post by B12 »

There is officially no such thing as V1 or V2 main board. I have a flysky "v1" and Turnigy V2 radios. Both mainboards are marked FS-TH9 MAIN V1.4 The mainboard "version" is a running change made at some point and you cannot determine it anywhere without opening the radio.

The Flysky TH-9X radio came into market in 2007 with the "A" version. It had non freguency hopping transmitter module type TM-001 and the receivers had satellite receiver and the type numbers had an "A" in them. Works just as fine and is nothing to be afraid of.

At some point in summer 2010 Flysky released the "B" version. It had a frequency hopping transmitter module type TM-002 and the receivers were without satellite and had a letter "B" in their type numbers.

Turnigy (Hobbyking) supposedly ordered a special edition flysky "B" with different colour case (turnigy gray, flysky black) with Turnigy labels and fixed antenna. They also marketed their radio as "V2" version saying it had an revised firmware. If this was anything else than the Turnigy logo, is debatable.

In all, V1 or V2 have nothing to do with the main board. In fact there is no such thing as V1. There is only Flysky A and B- revisions and the Turnigy V2 which is the same thing as Flysky B-revision.
RCPlaneHobby.com

Post by RCPlaneHobby.com »

I read on the smartieparts site that the "A" version board was a mistake with the misplacement of the pad location. Is this true?

How can you determine if you have a TM001 or 2?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just received my latest FlySky Tx from Giantcod. It has what we call a V1 main board in it, i.e. the pad for programming is on the wrong connection.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
B12

Post by B12 »

RCPlaneHobby.com wrote:I read on the smartieparts site that the "A" version board was a mistake with the misplacement of the pad location. Is this true?

How can you determine if you have a TM001 or 2?
Maybe mistake, maybe not. I do not have a clue in which processor leg Flysky wanted the contact pad in which version. Only thing we know it is in the wrong position for smartieparts add on board. On the other hand Flysky did not design the radio keeping in mind that some people want to solder extra wires in it and flash a new firmware some group of geegs has coded.

The transmitter module version reads in the sticker on the module. Turnigy version has not such information. As far as I know all Turnigys are With TM-002 and with the solder pad in correct leg. Original flyskys seem to be hit or miss."A" model has been gone since early 2010 but the mainboard seems to be what you happen to get.

Once again people should keep in mind that if a vendor talks about "V1" or "V2" and if you ask him whether the radio is which one, it has nothing to do with the main board. Also the vendor has no way of knowing without opening it assuming he knows what to look for.
Last edited by B12 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCPlaneHobby.com

Post by RCPlaneHobby.com »

khewl thanks for the info,
I have the leadershobby tx and it came with the Gen1 board ( i use "generation" to distinguish from "version" so I can keep myself a bit less confused :lol: )
I looked on the module itself and it is indicated "Fky Sky 2.4GMHz Module MODEL: FS-TMOO2" so I feel a little better.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

The module version is important as that determines which receivers you can use. The FS-TM002 should be compatible with the receivers that have the red shrink tube on the antenna.

Return to “Hardware”