Antenna patch

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
kaos

Re: Antenna patch

Post by kaos »

Groot and Crucial: now I see what is under the antenna and what the connector looks like, I think I can solder that connector on there. At least try. :)

How did you solder your core wire under the connector and to the pcb trace? I can see how those 2 grounds are soldered on the two sides, but the core wire?
Attachments
120414-7.jpg

GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

Ok this is where the hard part comes in. You have to clean it up with solder wig ist. the two traces either side of the centre is ground, and are very close to the ground. you have to place the conector very exactly in the centre NOT to touch the two grounds either side. My centre is soldered from the component next to the conector, and from the bottom via the open hole. I use solder paste for the hole of the center.
Your picture showing where the tracks from the conector was placed.
120414-7.jpeg
I used low heat (350°C) for the centre, and a bit higher (380°C) for the earth. To solder the earth my tip was heating the track until the solder started flowing, then moved it ever so lightly to touch the connectors earth. one second to long heat and the conector is history....so be careful.
The two purple markings is to show where you could add kapton tape to make sure the earth does not touch the centre. you can even let it pass over the centre. If you have kapton tape I'll sugest to use it.
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

I just saw your post elsewhere showing a soldering iron ....hope you have a other one for this ....then again mine was done with a standard tip so I guess it is doable ( I did it under a microscope )
kaos

Post by kaos »

Thx for the instruction.
and yes, I am thinking getting a digital soldering iron. but can't wait to get my DSMX module mod going. at least with this tip i can do those soldering, I think.
I can make another tip with even finer point too. :)
this little connector is trouble for sure. But this is just for fun, just in case I need to put this Flysky module back into use, that is what I am going to do. Plus, it would be a 'cheap' practice on this disposable module board if I burn it. ;)

I have some really thin copper tape (I should call it film) from my led blade prject. I am thinking put a little strip of this tape as a heat transmitter (it transmit heat really good) and place the tip of the tape outside the edge of the board under the connector, pretin the core at the bottom a little and the copper tape, then heat the tape up from the edge the solder /pretin will fuse together.
but that is back to the issue of impedance. with a thin layer of copper tape (< 1/100 ") between the solder, it may change the impedance. I dont' know.
Hm, it just darned on me. I can't even test it. Now I got the reset button board for my DSMX module, this Flysky module won't even bind to any Rx now or use it anymore. :)
Any one has a unwanted Flysky module reset button board for sale? :lol:
Last edited by kaos on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos

Post by kaos »

just got an idea, set the connector half on the board, half on the edge of the board. then solder the 2 earth on the side. but from the bottom, you can get the iron tip to the center trace and the connector core wire without being so close to the chip. (flip the connector in your pic 180 degree so the gold tab connected to the center core is facing out side of the board.

GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

There is a earth at 180° and it will case a short. Also you can not test for a short on the connector once done with a standard DVM
kaos

Post by kaos »

sheeee, Turnigy made sure we won't take out their module and convert it to modular. :?
The should spend more time design better circuit to work than design how to prevent people from hacking. ;)

Return to “Hardware Mods”