What TX module should I add next?

Electronic projects that are either related to the firmwares for the 9x, or simply great for radio control applications.
algo

What TX module should I add next?

Post by algo »

From left to right:
FrSky, Walkera Devo, Skyartec, FlySky. I have a HiSky HT8 on the way that I will probably put in to a normal box if the guts will fit. Maybe I need the Orange DSM? What else is there?

I need more antennas :lol:

Kilrah

Re: What TX module should I add next?

Post by Kilrah »

A few more choices :D

Spektrum (hack module from DX4e), Futaba, synthesised 35MHz :)

algo

Post by algo »

Cool, is that Futaba module an off-the-shelf piece?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep!
algo

Post by algo »

Just finished a new one:

tmuehlha

Post by tmuehlha »

Your HT8 Module looks great, where did you get the case from?
algo

Post by algo »

It's a FlyDream IS-8J case from rc-modules.com (nice guy). It's my favorite because it has the nice antenna mount. I use the same case for my Skyartec and DEVO modules.

Now I just have too many. It's annoying when almost every model needs a different TX module :mad:. I can't count how many times I have walked all the way out to the field only to discover I have the wrong module... or no module like I just did :lol:
kaos

Post by kaos »

hmm, missed this thread. I like the back cover of HT8 and two others of the same. Where did you find/make those covers?

as for your comment on too many modules. I am wondering too, if there is a way to cramp 2-3 or 4 modules in one case and use a dip switch to change to different module. ;)
algo

Post by algo »

The case is a FlyDream IS-8J. The labels I make myself by drawing in Inkscape, print with laser or inkjet printer, laminate with plastic, then double-sided tape on the back.

Most of them don't have enough room inside for anything else. The HT8 barely fit at all and is stuffed in sideways. :)

Maybe a custom board could be designed with multiple RF chips on it, that would be nice. Or use a FPGA and software defined RF chip.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Interested in designing the 'custom board'? that would be great. ;)

that pic looks like a HT8 , the little strip is a board you made your self?

PS: wow! each Flydream module is 40 dollars. any where those case only can be bought?
algo

Post by algo »

Yes, the small board is my own design. On the other side is the socket that the 9x module pins go in and the circuit itself is a power supply for modules that need less than battery voltage (the HT8 does not though).

This is my Skyartec module where you can see it a bit more clearly:

The IS-8J case is $5. ;)
http://www.rc-modules.com/page8.php?vie ... product=45
kaos

Post by kaos »

Thank you for the case site. I have been looking for T9x compatible cases for 1 yr, only found them around 15.00 a piece. will get a few NOW. ;) I want to put my HT8 in the case too. here is mine, compare to yours it's like - you know what. :lol:
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... ht8#p47746

I assume the case does not come with the plug at the back?
The original HT8 antenna is soldered to pcb, now you add a sma connector, do you notice there is a reduction in range/signal strength?

I saw the pic at the rcmodule site, the pic shows a sma connector and an antenna, does it come with the case?
algo

Post by algo »

Yes you need to add the plug for the pins on the back. The case is completely empty, no connectors or anything. I got the RP-SMA pigtails off eBay. Here is the other side of my board, you can see the header that fits on the pins:

I don't know about range since I only fly my micro-heli with it at short range. In theory you lose a bit from the connectors but in my tests I have been unable to measure any difference.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Thx for the info. one last question, where did you get the plug that fits just right to the T9x? also, my guess is the v-reg you have on your custome strip is a 5V reg?

Since I can plug HT8 directly to the back of T9x, I can just put a connector and fix it in the module case some how and throw in the HT8 board , solder a sma connector to HT8 pcb and done with it. ;)

I assume the micro heli is v922/FBL100? I am still working/tunig mine, can't get it flip/ inverted right, yet. Too little negative pitch. Just move the servo connector down a hole, have not test it yet.
algo

Post by algo »

It's just a regular piece of "header" strip cut down to the right number of pins.

The Skyartec and DEVO modules I did need 3.3V so that's what is on there.

The HT8 can take direct battery voltage since it has its own regulator on the board. So yes, if you can figure out some way to connect the pins it will work.

Yes, the V922. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XPes3rJwG8
I have some Hyperion 550mah batteries to use with it now which is a lot better than in the video. :)
Attachments
header.jpg
header.jpg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 17037 times
kaos

Post by kaos »

Wow! Bow!!!! I see you are an expert heli 3D pilot. If you can fly v922 like that what can't you fly with a 450 or bigger heli !!! :o y
You can tell from my avatar how I fly inverted. :lol: :lol:

would you share your v922 set up, an eeprom file? I like to see what I did wrong.
I can tell we have the same idea about the tail motor wires. :)

here are mine. Looks like I have a lot of catch ups to keep up with you guys. :) HT8 will join soon. :)
you can tell I 'stole' Kilrah's DSMX module. :mrgreen:
130604.jpg
algo

Post by algo »

No expert here, I'm really just beginning to learn this stuff. :oops: There is so much to learn and practice but that's why I like helicopters.

You can take a look at my V922 thread for some information about the setup and eepm file:
http://lunarflow.com/index.php?topic=10

It's a mix of my old brushed settings and my newer brushless settings so it might not work perfectly and will probably need tweaking for your personal use but might get you closer to something that works.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Ok, this may be off topic for this thread. \
Algo, if you prefer me to discuss v922 set up else where pleas say so.
I looked at the lunarflow about your set up. ha, you mod it with brushless motor already, no wonder it has so much more power. ;)
pretty much what your setup is 'close' to what I have as far as ch reverse. but one significant difference I do have 'norm' mode on ID0. the major difference is the transmission protocol
you have
PPM 6CH 400uSec
PPM FrLen 16.5mSec
PPM Shift Sel NEG

I have :
PPM 8CH 300uSec
PPM FrLen 22.5mSec
PPM Shift Sel POS

you have CYC 1,2,3 on ch1,2,6 I have CYC2,1,3 on ch1,2,6 I also have HT8 at Futaba (green light)
pitch you have 68, i have 70
swash type are the same 120
swashring you have 100, I have 75 which is already extremely sensitive

the other major difference is the expo/DR for Ele,ail
you have 47 and 60 with 0 expo , I have both of them at 100 with 65 expo for each.

now my problem is I don't get quite enough negative pitch. no problem flying in norm mode but in ID1,2 the negative pitch is only about half of the positive pitch. but we both have similar pitch setting (68/70).
I was scratcing my head for that.
Have you moved your servo connector on the servo 'horn' hole position?

I wonder if the ppm timing 300usec vs 400usec and frame rate 16.5 vs 22.5 and shift select made this difference?

by the way, aleady ordered 4 of those module boxes. ;)
algo

Post by algo »

The PPM settings shouldn't matter although the settings I use make the servos slightly smoother.

The collective pitch problem could be a few things:

First check the swash plate bearing. It tends to pop out and needs to be pushed back down in to the swash. You can pinch the swash and push down on the smaller top ball link plate and that should push it back in place. If the bearing moves up it will reduce the amount of negative pitch.

Next check to make sure the main shaft has very little or no vertical movement. If it does have vertical play then the main gear is likely not pushed on far enough. This will reduce the amount of positive pitch. Pretty much any type of crash will cause the main gear to slip down on the V922 (same as the mCPX).

Finally check that that your swash is "zeroed". Put the collective pitch at zero on the radio then swing the main blades around so they're on the same side as each other, they should then be perfectly parallel. If not then you have too much mechanical positive or negative pitch. To fix this you have to lengthen or shorten the servo links to move the swash up or down by turning the ends of the links.

You should also level the swash to make sure it's flat when there is no cyclic input. I'm not very good at explaining this stuff but if you search for swash leveling and swash zeroing then you should find some information. Usually for bigger heli's but the same applies to these little guys.
kaos

Post by kaos »

yes, I have done all that you mentioned. ;) Beleive me i have popped the swash too many times when I try to flip the v922 and it just dropped. ;) and yes, you have to push the main gear all the way up to get the main shaft tight wihtout up/down slop.
the only thing left is the linkage length adjustment. That is the only thing I hope it will work. I lowered the linkage one hole down (the bottom one, default was center hole) then lengthened the linkage by adjusting the connector. I have not test this yet after I did that a wk ago, woo windy lately. Hope it will work. ;)

One thing I noticed it seems to me micro heli needs a lot less cyclic to move as the bigger heli. I have 8-9 degree cyclic on my 450, so I set my v922 also at 8-9 degree, but this is very sensitive that is why I used 65% EXPO which I never used that much exop on my 450s. (at most 15-20%). May be micro is just different, I probably will try to reduce swash ring to 70-75 and use less expo, I prefer linear response than expo response through out the stick movement.

Hope in the next few days I can test the recent setup.
algo

Post by algo »

As far as the cyclic I think part of it is just the V922. It's way more sensitive and twitchy than any other heli I have ever flown. I'm not sure why but I think it's the FBL system.

I find that with the linear servos of the V922 any amount of expo actually makes it harder to control. Better just to turn down the rates to make it slower.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Thx for the info. those coincide with what I feel too. But this is my 1st micro servo and 1st micro heli (I had one 4G3 before but the swash broke before I had a chance to set it up;) ), I am like not knowing what is 'normal'. ;)
I will definitely try the DR now knowing it is way too sensitive and you are flying with 47 and 60% DR without problem of cyclic control.
kaos

Post by kaos »

:cry: Just got an email for a refund of rc-model (craig), stated the case is out of stock and probably won't be available for the future either. :cry:
algo

Post by algo »

Ah, too bad. :( I wonder if he is "out of stock" or really out of stock. Meaning I wonder if he doesn't like the idea of the cases being used for non-FlyDream work. Anyway, maybe he doesn't keep very many in stock and will get more at some point.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Spent all night searching for case again. found one place has the case, but it is out of stock now, estimated in stock time is 8/8 /13. If it is true, I will post the web link.
masamasa

Post by masamasa »

Please tell me the "skyartec module" setting.

For example,like this v922

These are the settings used in the model:

PPM 6CH 400uSec
PPM FrLen 16.5mSec
PPM Shift Sel NEG
ELE Direction INV
AIL Direction INV
Swash Type 120
Swash Ring 100
ELE EXPO 0% D/R 47%
AIL EXPO 0% D/R 60%
CH1 CYC1 50%